Watermelon Thieving at its finest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watermelon Thieving at its finest!

This comes from 'The Privations of a Private' by Marcus Tobey. I had put this up on the forum sometime back, ran across it again while doing research and still made me laugh:

"While we were on the Alabama River near Selma our boat landed for wood, and the boys spied a watermelon patch, and in a few moments the entire crop, green or ripe, had disappeared. In the meantime the owner boarded the boat, and Colonel Fields ordered every man to pay the farmer for the melons, and that he should be paid for either green or ripe, and the farmer got his pay."

Now I read that and all I can imagine is a boat full of my pards, jumping off and ransacking some old farmers field. Why I can see the red faces of Cody Mobley, Pat Lewis, Craddock, Jim Conley etc, all with looks of guilt and bellies of melon!
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Watermelon Thieving at its finest!

I have never stolen watermelons.....just hearts and souls.

Oh yeah, we did steal a certain spoon that Micah Ables was so overly proud of at Rich Mountain.
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Working...
    X