Storing my P.53 for the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Storing my P.53 for the winter

Rig isn't around any more? Too bad. My buddy in polished a Ruger 10/22 barrel bright and then rubbed on Rig before buffing it. He applied three coats. Over ten years later, no rust.

Want something modern that you can get at any Woodcraft store? Get Rennaisance Wax. Developed by the British Museum, it is microcystelline and PH neutral. It may be applied to wood, metal and leather. Museum conservators worldwide use the stuff for marble statutes, iron work, leather and wood. At the museum I worked at though, I don't know why they didn't apply it to the silverware (they polished it the old fashioned way).
    GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
    High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

For one, Try not to store it in a case. I had my Remington in a case for only 2 weeks I take it out it had rusted like heck. Putting it in a sock would be better and oiling it every month or so should do it good as well. My suggestion on oil is REM - Oil, it seems to be the best oil Ive used.
      Christian Thomas,
      The Salem Guard
      Appalachian Possum Mess

Comment

Any regular gun oil isn't usually a good idea for musket storage, especially of originals. It tends to rot and darken wood and runs slowly off, toward the centre of the earth.
        David Fox

Comment

Working...
        X