New England Ice Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England Ice Storm

As we are now well into the Christmas Season, let us not forget those in the New England area that are still struggling to have power restored to thier homes while temperatures are in the teens during the day and single-digit temps at night. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
    [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Re: New England Ice Storm

Sir, thanks for the reminder, my thoughts and prayers will be with these folks and those working so hard to restore services. Our community was hit by an ice storm in January 2000 and we were without power 11 days. Being on a well we drink bottled water but I would collect the melting ice water everyday for our toilet use. Each evening all would refreeze and next morning would wait untill the sun started melting ice again. My wife and I were fortunate as we got by OK. A very humbling event, I know the hardships imposed and the lessons kept made us a bit stronger. That storm I'll always remember as the White Hurricane. Folks, as we share sky today, my heart will be for your strength and patience.
    Mel and Marie Hadden
    Last edited by yeoman; 12-15-2008, 11:46 AM. Reason: after thought
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Yup........here in Maine, we just got our power back tonight. It's been out since Friday morning.
      [FONT=Century Gothic]Alan Poor/Independent[/FONT]

Comment

You've got my sympathy. That sucker - the ice part of it, at least - just missed us. Eight inches of snow was a pleasure in comparison.
        [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
        [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Re: Kentucky ice storm

Dear sir and ma'am, I will not open a new thread but please keep in your prayers our loved ones, friends and all those struggling to restore power to the folks in Kentucky and else where that have been touched by this storm.
          Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
          Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
          Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
          www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

When we were out in a nearby town eating lunch when our power was still out, I went up and thanked a crew from my home state of Ohio for coming. Now our Mass guys are returning the favor to souther OH and Kentucky.

Thanks, folks!
            [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by hiplainsyank View Post
              When we were out in a nearby town eating lunch when our power was still out, I went up and thanked a crew from my home state of Ohio for coming. Now our Mass guys are returning the favor to souther OH and Kentucky.

Thanks, folks!
              And thank goodness for the Yanks in our midst. I'm in Central Kentucky and went without electricity for eight days. Finally came on Tuesday night, but still some without. Far western Kentucky really got slammed. We've had linemen/women from Wisconsin, Ohio and several other states helping, as well as the National Guard. Thanks guys and girls.
              Fritz Jacobs
              CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
              [email]CPTFritz@aol.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
              X