Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late War Zouave/Veteran French-style Jackets.. anyone ever tackled 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late War Zouave/Veteran French-style Jackets.. anyone ever tackled 'em?

Hello friends,

This might be a shot in the dark but I though I'd enquire:

Has anyone ever successfully, and fairly authentically, reproduced, in any mass, jackets or uniforms in the Veteran, French-style (zouave-style) for a living history or reenactment? I am especially inquiring about the late-war variant 1863-1864 issue to the veteran Federal troops..? I AM NOT PLANNING ON TRYING MY HAND AT THIS per se.. but was wondering how would it be feasible for one to do so for a company of men and it still be up to the accurate par of this A.C. community and not break your unit's bank?

If you made a jacket like this; what materials, pattern, construction, colors did you use? What hangups or successes did you face? Did you modify an existing jacket to add the french 'cut', piping, embroidery, etc.? Again.. I'm not trying to stretch the historical accuracy of any impression but only seek to prick minds about this issue of authenticity in our impressions.

Anyone want to tackle this?

'Oh what we'd all do with limitless disposable income.. period examples and patterns.. hundreds of yards of cloth.. and 50 period sewing machines..'
    Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM.
    Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
    Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
    ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
    ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
    ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
    ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
    ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Re: Late War Zouave/Veteran French-style Jackets.. anyone ever tackled 'em?

Jon
    I have located a pattern and have a full description of the coat. I am going to try to recreate it first for the group to see what costs will be involved and go from there!! thanks for posting bud, your zeal and eagerness are unstoppable!!
    Kaelin R. Vernon
    SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Mr. Harris:

See this thread about the 146th New York uniforms. Someone had a similar question:

This elite unit was mobilized on October 10, 1862 and served until Appomattox Court House.
      Jason C. Spellman
      Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

I would definitely recommend talking to Tim or Debbie Sheads at S&S Sutler. They made a fantastic 5th NY jacket and I know Debbie has worked on Gettysburg's uniform restorations.
        Guy W. Gane III
        Casting Director/Owner
        Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
        49th NYVI Co. B
        The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Jon,

You may want to contact these folks too. They do a later war (ATL Campaign) 76th Ohio Impression and have the Zouave style jackets.

Robert W. Hughes
          Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
          Thrasher Mess
          Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
          ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
          Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
          And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Looking at their recommended vendors and unit standards I'm guessing authenticity isn't a major focus with this group. While some member in the unit may have done actual research on their "76th Ohio pattern 'zouave-like' veterans' jacket", I'd strongly suggest you verify any information from them with other sources before taking it as gospel.

Originally posted by BobbyHughes View Post
            You may want to contact these folks too. They do a later war (ATL Campaign) 76th Ohio Impression and have the Zouave style jackets.
            Last edited by AZReenactor; 12-24-2008, 09:09 AM. Reason: typo
            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Hunt down the talented Mr. Jim Ruley on Elizabeth Stuart Clark's Sewing Academy forum...or on here (not sure if he haunts the AC these days). I remember that he did a bunch of Piatt's Zouave jackets a couple of years ago; they looked stellar. He does a lot of custom work and knows his stuff so I'm sure if you put your information together he can help you with the jacket you're looking for.

Didn't the 76th OVVI have sky blue "false vest" fronts sewn into the jacket itself? A couple of eastern zouave units had similar garments. I could be wrong.
              Brian White
              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
              X