have buckle, need belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have buckle, need belt

due to the kindness of a forum member I have become the proud father of a 'baby cs' buckle of the AOT style. Its a narrow little critter. Its only 1.5" wide. Who would make a belt to fit this? Are there any documented belts with these buckles?

Ronnie - Shreveport
    Ronnie Hull
    Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
    Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
    Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
    2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
    Before the Breakout September 10-12

Re: have buckle, need belt

Hi,

What style is it? Is it like either of these belt buckles? Both of these styles, of belt buckles, are fairly small, but they fit on a normal size belt.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 12-21-2008, 08:06 AM.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Ronnie,
      After reading your post I could only remember seeing one reproduction of a narrow belt...from an approved vendor:

It's a civilian type rollerbuckle....you could probably contact him to find out if he copied it from an original or reproduced a popular pattern....You might even get him to send one without the rollerbuckle.
      About the belt, here is an image I believe of the buckle (original) you are talking about

The belt with it was not connected to the buckle originally, however, it seems to be a good fit.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Ronnie: Just shoot an eMail to Bill Lomas at EJ Thomas and tell him the width and length you need and I'm sure he'd be glad to quote you a price and make one for you. He's done custom work for me which is both reasonable and of highest quality. Generally pretty quick too.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob thanks, and I'll contact him. For the rest of you this is the buckle we are speaking of. Btw, a few years back, one of these was found in a city park here in Shreveport, La. It made the newspaper when it was auctioned off for $22,000 can you believe that? sheesh...

Ronnie -ShreveportClick image for larger version

Name:	TGTNCS[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	219184
          Ronnie Hull
          Shreveport, La

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

Comment

Hi,

The belt buckle looks to me like a Columbus Depot one, but I am not completely sure.

Andrew
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

The buckle in question is a "baby" size version of the more common rounded corner CS, which you refer to as the Columbus style. They are extremely rare and only about an inch and a half wide. A specimen from Atlanta is also known and illustrated in "Civil War Relics of the Western Campaigns," p.237
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I have to call Butch Meyers tonight about some leather gear he is making for me (another Dickerson box since my son has taken over the original from Butch ) and I'll get him to add a painted cloth belt for this buckle. Butch is alive and well and still churning out fantastic leather gear... and for those of you that might be interested, Butch has somehow come with original documentation from the Richmond Harness Shop about thier cartridge boxes, belts, cap pouches and bayonet scabbards. Interesting stuff.

Wife and I are gonna have the pleasure of spending a couple of days with the Meyers this coming summer.

Ronnie - Shreveport
                Ronnie Hull
                Shreveport, La

Comment

Working...
                X