Grey Uniforms in the Union Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Uniforms in the Union Army

Is there a post on which units and when wore grey in the Union at the beginning of the war. I remember reading that Sherman was mad that some units still had grey uniforms at Shiloh.
    Thomas J. Alleman
    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Re: Grey Uniforms in the Union Army

Before the battle of Wilson's Creek the 1st Iowa was issued with grey overshirts.

After the battle they got grey frock coats to wear back to Iowa. By the time of the battle they were hardly wearing anything.
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

If you read "The Life of Billy Yank" By Bell Wiley, which was just re-released with an updated edition in 2008, he talks about the popularity of grey in pre-war Militia units as a uniform, and talks about some of the problems with Shiloh as an example, as well as Wilson's Creek where Federal Militia units being in Grey caused confusion. (Ch 1, Pg 22 in the updated edition).
      Last edited by Pennvolunteer; 01-11-2009, 04:54 PM. Reason: Wrong page number quoted
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Hi,

Pennsylvania issue grey shell jackets (that look almost like Richmond Depot style) to their Reserve Corps. Also, company L of the 28th Pennsylvania wore these shell jackets in 1861, but they were replaced in 1862. The 2nd New Hampshire wore grey shell jackets trimmed in red, along with grey trousers and grey kepis.

Andrew
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I heard of the 1st IA wearing, not just grey shirts but hunting frocks, has anyone heard else this or read about it. I went to Wilson's Creek in 2000 doing 1st IA and we were told they had hunting frocks not shirts but hey they, the park service, could be wrong. I wonder how long it took to replace grey completely from the US ranks?
          Thomas J. Alleman

Comment

Hares Brigade was made up of the 8th Ill, 18th Ill, 11th Iowa and 16th Iowa and wore gray uniforms from mid 1861 until a couple of weeks prior to Shiloh.

Jim Butler
            Jim Butler

Comment

"The coat as made, was a hunting frock. of the pioneer Daniel Boone type, fitting closely a the neck, cuff and belt, but full of surplusage everywhere else." pg. 79 The Lyon Campaign and History of the 1st Iowa.

Since none of the hunting frocks or overshirts survived the war we put together what we thought they would have looked like. If in your 2000 company had green you were in our company, red the 15th Iowa, and the other company that I heard about I have no idea. They were not with us. And not with the AoP.

One thing you must remember is that these were made of grey material and in a short time frame. Thus, we believe they were in the style as we call overshirt. Ware also refers to a canteen as a "tinflask".
              True the regiement was issued military frocks at the end of the campaign. Now the Governor Greys did in fact have military frock coats. They were very well taken care of. THe other companies called these men the Governor Pets.

Once again by the time the battle was fought their uniforms were rags.

Take a look at my album page to get an idea of what we came up with. And be sure to put our living history August 2010 at Wilson's Creek on your event list. Impression: 1st Iowa

The 11th Iowa wearing grey is news to me. I would like to see the documentation on the 11th and 16th Iowa. We have been researching the 11th Iowa since 1990 and have never run into any documentation in which it says they had grey. I just looked over my first edition Downing Civil War Diary and it does not state anywhere that they had grey uniforms. It does say that two companies roughly two weeks before the battle were issued Belgian rifles. Jim, please send me what you have.

Thanks!
              Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 01-11-2009, 05:58 PM.
              Nathan Hellwig
              "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

"The coat as made, was a hunting frock. of the pioneer Daniel Boone type, fitting closely a the neck, cuff and belt, but full of surplusage everywhere else." pg. 79 The Lyon Campaign and History of the 1st Iowa.

So I was not crazy after all. Well I was with the "cough" Cumberland Guard, so we made grey overshirts with black trim, the other companies had other color trims. It was a fun event, fought the MSG and almost got trounced on by red cav but our own cav stopped them. I do wish it did not rain though, we left, and it sucked. Anyway would like to try that event again.
                Thomas J. Alleman

Comment

I was at the Wisconsin Veterans Museum last week and am posting a photo of three early war/militia coats they had on display. Unfortunately there was no item identification as to what units were issued these pieces.

My research on the Sixteenth Iowa also bears no mention to gray uniforms. If memory serves me correctly they received dark blue trowsers as well as frocks. Now at least two companies of the Sixteenth were formerly German militia units from Davenport's large German population, so early reports of gray uniforms may relate to the drill/parade uniforms worn prior to enlistment.

Ich bin ein dumbkopf. There is a display card within the plexiglass that contained the uniforms, but I can't read it in my photograph. As I can not get the image to upload, I'm attaching the page from the Vet's Museum website with the same uniforms that I was attempting to post.

http://museum.dva.state.wi.us/Gal_show.asp?GalleryID=1

As an added bonus, you get Stephen Ambrose and Gregory Peck. 'Cuz I'm jus that kind of guy.
                  Last edited by J. Donaldson; 01-12-2009, 01:59 PM.
                  Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                  My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

The 7th New York Militia, I believe, has the distinction of keeping a grey uniform while in Federal service the longest. They were assigned to the 8th Corps in Maryland, still wearing their grey fatigue uniform in July, 1863.
                    Last edited by FranklinGuardsNYSM; 01-11-2009, 07:27 PM. Reason: Clarification.
                    Marc A. Hermann
                    Liberty Rifles.
                    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Most of the companies of the 1st Iowa had different trim color. This is in Wares book and I found a reference to it in the Mt.Pleasant Home Journal.
                      You were those black trim guys...

The 11th did not have grey. Just like the 16th.
                      Again Jim if you have "new" information that would show we are wrong please send it to me. I would like to see it.

Why would the state issue grey uniforms after what they had seen happen at Wilson's Creek and Bull Run?
                      Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM.
                      Nathan Hellwig

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Nation Boys View Post

Since none of the hunting frocks or overshirts survived the war we put together what we thought they would have looked like. If in your 2000 company had green you were in our company, red the 15th Iowa, and the other company that I heard about I have no idea. They were not with us. And not with the AoP.

One thing you must remember is that these were made of grey material and in a short time frame. Thus, we believe they were in the style as we call overshirt. Ware also refers to a canteen as a "tinflask".
                        True the regiement was issued military frocks at the end of the campaign. Now the Governor Greys did in fact have military frock coats. They were very well taken care of. THe other companies called these men the Governor Pets.

Once again by the time the battle was fought their uniforms were rags.

Take a look at my album page to get an idea of what we came up with. And be sure to put our living history August 2010 at Wilson's Creek on your event list. Impression: 1st Iowa

The 11th Iowa wearing grey is news to me. I would like to see the documentation on the 11th and 16th Iowa. We have been researching the 11th Iowa since 1990 and have never run into any documentation in which it says they had grey. I just looked over my first edition Downing Civil War Diary and it does not state anywhere that they had grey uniforms. It does say that two companies roughly two weeks before the battle were issued Belgian rifles. Jim, please send me what you have.

Thanks!
                        This is based on research done by John Pillers. I have attached the image of Thomas Riddle in the uniform. This again was provided to me by John Pillars. I will get with John again and ask for the citation again from his documentation. My understanding from John is that it was the ntire brigade, but it may have varied among regiments within the battalion.

Jim Butler
                        Attached Files
                        Jim Butler

Comment

Thomas,

To bring some of the discussion a little closer to home, the most recent edition of the Journal of the CMH had an article by Bill Carr of Lansing in it on Michigan's grey uniforms. It's excellent and covers a few regiments (don't have it in front of me right now so I won't quote beyond the 3rd) as well as the Camp of Instruction Uniform for Fort Wayne.

I'll bring it when we get together later this week.

For the rest, check the article out.

Best to all and hope this helps further the discussion.

Will
                          Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
                          Saginaw City Light Infantry
                          Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
                          Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
                          http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
                          www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Originally posted by J. Donaldson View Post
                            I was at the Wisconsin Veterans Museum last week and am posting a photo of three early war/militia coats they had on display. Unfortunately there was no item identification as to what units were issued these pieces.
                            I'm anxious to see these images. I just posted in the thread Iron Brigade Uniforms asking for a color photo of one of these. I lost my color photo long ago of this uniform. Did one look like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	gray-uniform-wis-early-colo 2nd Wisc-httpwww.secondwi.comsecondwisnewsnews.htm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	219249
                            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
                            Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                            [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I realize the 7th was mentioned, but here are some pictures of their fatigue and dress uniform. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but the dress uniform might be post war because of the button placement on the chest. Not too post war because the cuffs still have four buttons and not 3 as seen later.
                              Attached Files
                              Samantha Jayle

Comment

Working...
                              X