The Rebel Yell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rebel Yell

There is a recording from Palladium press at the page below.

Russ Spry
    Russell M. Spry
    19th Alabama

Comment

IMHO, let's ask our modern day veterans, especially any who were faced with the spectre of imminent death.
      My understanding is that it was more of a release of pent up emotion than a rehearsed "call". You boys who have been shot at in war, what would your yell have sounded like?
      Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
      Old wore out Bugler

Comment

I've heard at least two variants and it has been said it sounds like a whoop. I think it has origins in the Indian war whoop.
        GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
        High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by csabugler View Post
          IMHO, let's ask our modern day veterans, especially any who were faced with the spectre of imminent death.
          My understanding is that it was more of a release of pent up emotion than a rehearsed "call". You boys who have been shot at in war, what would your yell have sounded like?
          Very hard to describe....kind of a upper range whooowhooooo! followed by the everpresent HOOAH! and a LOT of Profanity, alot of it F Bombs, and blasphemy, and everyone giving a status after we checked ourselves for the warm sticky wet spots...At least thats how it was inside the Hummer when we thought it had gotten hit on the way to Anaconda....(wasn't us... the fuel tanks on burning 18 wheeler.) That help any??
          Robert W. Hughes
          Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
          Thrasher Mess
          Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
          ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
          Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
          And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

I heard that Billy Idol does a great version of the rebel yell. Seriously I heard it was more like the Indians do and that does strike fear when you hear a war whoop coming from the woods.
            Thomas J. Alleman
            "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

I had read, either on this site in another thread, or somewhere else, that the sound was like one that was used while hunting with dogs (fox, raccoon), similar to a yipping noise. It was something the old timers used to do to communicate with their hunting dogs in some way, and that the thought was it was very similar to this noise. Does anyone have the passage that backs this up?
              Greg Swank
              49th IN Co. F
              Tanglefoot Mess

Comment

Capt. Foster of Granbury's Texas brigade states that in the night charge at Pickett's Mill, "some gave the Rebel yell, some gave the Texas Yell, and some the Indian Yell". He obviously felt that there were distinctions betweeen the three.

Gen Sul Ross who became governor of Texas after the War was also president of Texas A&M University. Interesting to note is that the school's "Yell" is a "whoop-whoop".

Joe Walker

Comment

Working...
                X