Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of the Hobby...

Why am I asking???
    I had done most of my Civil War living history in the 1990's and pretty much quit in late 96 to go into the Army. I went back to a couple of events in 2002. Since then I have done other time periods. Most of my pards also left Civil War for various reasons. I am wanting to get back into the Civil War time period. I don't really know what is going on in the hobby as a whole. SO...I'm curious.

What is the state of the hobby? I know this question could bring on a thousand and one jokes but is a good solid question to me. I know that reenacting can be a trendy animal and can change somewhat quickly. Everything from gear and equipment to popular impressions to events can shift as years go by. Sometimes certain things could be overrepresented or underrepresented. Are Civil War reenactors better quality and better researched as a whole or is the same old thing. I have heard rumors that the numbers at events are seriously down. Have you experienced this? Am I just in time for the death rattle?

I would like to hear what everyone's opinion on these matters. How you answer is up to you. Don't feel that you have to answer them all if you don't want. Pick one or...choose another that you think would be interesting for someone that has had a break in the hobby. This is simply opinion based but I am curious as to know what I will be walking into...

Thanks
    B.D. Pettit

Re: The State of the Hobby...

Brian,

I see that this is your first post on the A/C, so I'm going to give you the normal response for folks just starting out.

My advise is to read through the various folders on this and other forums (CW Reenactors, Common Ground, Off Topic Boys, etc.) and see what people at different levels of the hobby are discussing and what type of events are happening in the hobby today. This will give you the best feel for "where the hobby is" at this time.

This will also allow you to choose the "type" of reenacting/living history that you want to participate in.

You may get some straight answers on this thread, but they will be lost in the possible wisecracks you will also recieve. As with anything, do your own research and come to your own conclusions. You shouldn't base your opinions on what others say/think anyway, in my opinion.

Good luck, thanks for your service and welcome back to CW reenacting.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Brian,

I would recommend jumping back in with both feet! Some things haven't changed and never will, some things are very different. No matter how you slice it, the hobby is still a lot of fun.

In Oregon, WI, you are close to a lot of very fine living historians. A number of them are in "The Old Northwest Volunteers", as well as a number of other groups in Chicagoland/ Northern IL/ Southern Wisconsin.

Feel free to contact me off-line from this thread, if you'd like, at jwickett@comcast.net
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you, starting back after a long respite. I have spent many hours looking at this website and to answer your question, a lot has changed but this is by far the best place to start.
        Kristoffer Lee Tinney

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO...

There are few endeavors that allow one to Time Warp from the extreme of the cuttting edge and envelope-pushing to the extreme of all the way back to the way things were in 1976. And much in between.

As shared, think of your Mental Picture of what you see yourself doing and where you see yourself fitting in, and then search out those that share the same.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Brian,

You live in Wisconsin, so the answer is simple.

First, put in a leave slip for 9-13 March 2009.

Second, call Terry Sorchy at 608-293-0585.

Welcome back.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I'd say that as long as a forum like the AC is around and it is full of users dedicated to authenticity, then the hobby is in good shape.

Have fun researching and building your impression, and most of all, enjoy honoring our forefathers.
              Kenny Pavia
              24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

There are other indicators with which to measure the state of the Hobby than just this forum.

Consider the quality and quantity of events when measuring this hobbies condition. Just think how rarely we actually come into contact with most of the folks who post here. It isn't that so few attend events ( yes... I will agree that even on these forums we do have our share of keyboard commandos..), but that there are a number of quality events, in a variety of locations which attract most of the people who post here, and make it difficult for many to attend numerous events each year.
                Brian Hicks
                Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Note: This from a mainstreamer who jumps the fence every so often:

While all will not agree, I'd say the hobby is doing fairly well, considering last year's gas prices and this years economic downturn.

There's a nice spread of campaign events and LH's throughout the year, with most folks working together to limit scheduling conflicts.

Parts of the mainstream are seeing a general improvement in kit, attitude and events. There's still plenty of bottom feeder stuff out there, but that is of no concern to the folks who frequent this forum, and those "upper level" mainstream events have some degree of draw value into the cph crowd, though not to all.

It's not a strong tide, but the number of crossover reenactors who jump the fence back and forth between cph and mainstream events seems to be on the rise.

Gear quality is much improved and more available if one choses to aim for quality at a decent price rather than lowest cost.

I can't say that the amount of new research being churned out and shared on the forums is as high as that of a few years ago, but the accumulated knowledge is definitely much greater and available to any who want it.

Personal opinion: The Political Wars of a few years ago seem to have settled down for the most part, with at least an uneasy truce and at best a begrudging tolerance that both mainstream and cph need each other for various and diverse reasons. If nothing else, some of the rhetoric has moderated.

With the 150th cycle approaching, there is hope, if not expectation, that an increase in interest will be forthcoming from the general population, both as spectators and participants.

On the down side, the collapse of the North/South Alliance, which guaranteed decent Fed/Reb forces at some western events, and questions about the viability of both the First Federal Division and Army of Tennessee is making things more difficult to the west of the Big Scary Mountains.
                  Bernard Biederman
                  30th OVI
                  Co. B
                  Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                  Outpost III

Comment

Brian,

As Charles and others have stated, the Old Northwest Volunteers would be a wonderful site for you to check and see what is going on regionally in the Upper Midwest. In the days when you were active, the 33d Wisconsin and many of the Mudsills, the Hogg Mess, and Stragglers were the authentic players up here in the Badger state in the mid 90’s but things have changed a bit.

Now it more diversified with quality mess groups such as Mess #3 (Sorchy, Reinholz, Ackeret) which formed out of gents from the 41st Virginia and was started around 2002, the Ol Sipley Mess (many of the 3rd Wisconsin gents here) started around 2006, the Hard Heads which I created with some chums back in 1999 from the Citizens Guard; which also has many gents you may know from the old Hogg Mess (Acker, Spagnoletti) along with 33d Wisconsin chums (Gerow, Stewart, Weed -Honorary) and other close pards. As for the 33rd, they are small but still active, the Hogg mess more of an inactive mess, and the Citizens Guard is inactive for 2009 with most gents already in a quality mess but that may change in the future if someone steps up in the group to organize it. That is a good start on the state of the authentic end here in Wisconsin on the military end.

Also the ONV has some great ties with out of state messes such as the Hairy Nation Boys in Iowa, Corn Fed Comrades of Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, the Prodigal Sons Mess, and several other small groups. Many of the individuals in the ONV can represent accurately Western and Eastern Federal, Civilian, and Confederate to a large degree. And speaking of Civilian impressions, a fine group of civilian living historians known to support the ONV roster members at events started up a fine detailed orientated group called Citizens of the Old Northwest if you’re seeking purely civilian opportunities.

As for events, 2009 is a great year to get back in. Into the Piney Woods will have some thinking back to the Brewster Smith March of 1994 and the Red River Marches of the time as well, Bummers towards the end of 2009 has many of us revved up to portray Sherman's Bummers and for our mess even though we will not be portraying a Wisconsin unit, it sure will be fun to honor a fine group of Old Northwest lads that were part of Uncle Billy’s March to the Sea. If you are into Battlefield LH, we have plenty of opportunities for that as well as sites such as Kennesaw Mountain that the Hairy Nation is hosting, Athens with the Hairy Nation, Gettysburg Adjunct with the Hard Heads, and some members will also be attending events at Appomattox Courthouse and Antietam with the WIG for 2009.

Now to closer to home events, we have some excellent opportunities such as the ONV Camp of Instruction in Galena IL the first weekend of May, the mustering in of the 45th Illinois for preservation of the Grant Home the first weekend of April in Galena once again, our full immersion Retreat from Bentonville in SW Wisconsin will be one not to miss in early June, and Holler's the Lost Tribes event featuring the 21st Missouri looks like an excellent event at a wonderful historic site. And there are plenty of other LH opportunities going on that you can see on the ONV events of interest as well.

If you have any questions Brian, feel free to get in touch with us. As you can see, I think the state of reenacting regarding the authentic groups here in the Badger state has changed but in a very positive way towards fostering more accurate experiences and a diversity of high quality impressions. I think our fellow roster members in the ONV from other fine states would agree.

Cordially,

Tom Klas
                    Hard Head Mess
                    ONV
                    Last edited by TKlas; 01-30-2009, 02:00 PM. Reason: omitted signature line - oops
                    Tom Klas
                    Hard Head Mess
                    Citizens Guard

Comment

Originally posted by flattop32355 View Post
                      Personal opinion: The Political Wars of a few years ago seem to have settled down for the most part, with at least an uneasy truce and at best a begrudging tolerance that both mainstream and cph need each other for various and diverse reasons. If nothing else, some of the rhetoric has moderated.
                      Which, while undoubtedly a positive step for the peace and prosperity of the entire hobby, is bad in one regard: I miss being entertained for hours during the winter "grumpy season" reading those 20-page-long "us-v-them" threads. Some quality entertainment there if you like internet arguments! :D
                      [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
                      [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
                      [/FONT]

Comment

I appreciate all the replies from everyone!

To tell the truth I am a point in my reenacting career that I am at quite of a cross roads. I used to do ACW with my Dad and brother who now no longer reenact that time period. A lot of my good friends in the old group are no longer around either. So I guess this is a point to where I am truly free to go do whatever I want to do. As to what that is...I'm not sure yet. Union Infantry, Civilian, Reb??? I'm still trying to figure out where my passions lay.

I am pretty anal about trying my best to do it right the first time. I'm not quite at the point financially where I can just go drop hundreds of dollars on a kit or spend the dough improving my old one. SO... this gives me the time to research the hell out of whatever impression I am going to do. That way I am can hit the ground running and not trying to play catch up. I just have the itch to get back out there. I am not one to go back into something blind so that was the basis for the initial question.

I enjoy hearing what has changed or evolved since I left. It is good to know that most of the major politics are now gone or at a cease fire. I never liked that ego driven part of the hobby, although the back and forth was entertaining from time to time.

I again am thankful for places like this that one can get good solid info and feel welcome at the same time.

Thanks everyone.
                        B.D. Pettit

Comment

" I'm not quite at the point financially where I can just go drop hundreds of dollars on a kit or spend the dough improving my old one"

Comrade Pettit,
                          I've said it time and time again. I've got enough loaner gear floating around to equip at least two guys besides myself if he is in my general size range. I expect that at least a dozen others on this forum would be more than happy to help equip someone for a quality event. Can you jump right in? Yes, you probably can. If you're physically fit, can read pre-event info when available, and get along with others, you'd be welcome at just about any quality event. Gear isn't a problem. Crossing the threshold to another world is the barrier.

Bill Birney
                          CR's
                          William Birney
                          Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                          Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Brian:

I'm still going strong. Give me a call at 608-873-8503

John Wedeward
                            Stoughton, Wi
                            John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                            The Hard Head Mess
                            The Old Northwest Volunteers
                            5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
                            Civil War Battlefield Preservation
                            Sons of American Revolution
                            Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
                            Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
                            Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Working...
                            X