Need Help with Ancestor Portrayal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Ancestor Portrayal

I WAS NOT SURE WHERE THIS BELONGED SO HAVE POSTED HERE, PLEASE MOVE MODS IF IT IS INNAPROPRIATE HERE TO A MORE CORRECT PLACE.

My name is Sprakes, family descended from Dutch immigrants, Protestant Huguenots escaping persecution in central Europe. Two group of Sprakes leave in this troubled time 16th Century , one set goes to Yorkshire, England, and there are still more Sprakes there than anywhere else in England, although there are not a vast amount, only eight families.
    But it is the second group that interests as they would seem to have gone to the new world, although they may have sub divided from the first in the 18th Century we think they in fact during the original division.
    I does seem though that the name Sprakes is as rare in the US as here in the UK so I set about searching for any in the ACW. I found only two
    James D Sprakes and Issac Sprakes. members of the 5th Cavalry Regiment that was organized during the summer of 1862 with men recruited in the central section of Kentucky. It was attached to Buford's Brigade and skirmished in Tennessee and Kentucky. Later it fought with J.H. Morgan, and many of its members were captured at Buffington Island on July 19 and the remaining part at New Lisbon on July 26, 1863. The regiment was not reorganized. They both were captured in 63, survived and were pensioned.
    Now I am normally a US bugler, interpreter or narrator but along with my younger brother think this an amazing opportunity, if I am correct, for the two Sprakes in UK ACW reenacting to portray the only two Sprakes in the ACW.
    But I need a little help.
    Does anyone know a US Sprakes who may be able to help with origin dates.
    Does anyone have any pics of the 5th reg KC for reference as I am not totally familiar with CS Cav.
    Does anyone think ancestral/Relative portrayal is inappropriate or cliche?

If any of the above is wrong please, please let me know, or if anyone can provide any info please do.
    I am willing to learn to ride and am acquiring some CS gear at this time.
    [B][I]Christian Sprakes
    19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Re: Need Help with Ancestor Portrayal

Originally posted by Indianabugles View Post
    But it is the second group that interests as they would seem to have gone to the new world, although they may have sub divided from the first in the 18th Century we think they in fact during the original division.
    Finding the English connection will be easier than you think, I believe.

It looks like Isaac's father was born in England, though there are two possibilities for who Isaac was. Here's an 1860 U.S. Census listing for a household in Lexington, Kentucky:

J. O. Sprakes, age 65, male, occupation wool carder, personal property $200, born in England.
    Ann Sprakes, 55, female, born in Kentucky
    Mary Sprakes, 24, female, mantua maker, born in Kentucky
    A. E. Sprakes, 21, female, mantua maker, born in Kentucky
    Lydia A. Sprakes, 20, female, born in Kentucky
    Isaac Sprakes, 15, male, born in Kentucky
    E. C. Sprakes, 12, female, born in Kentucky
    Sarah Stafford, 42, female, mantua maker, born in New Jersey

So it seems that J.O. Sprakes immigrated from England sometime between his birth about 1795 and the birth of his daughter Mary about 1836.

This 1859 directory of Lexington gives J.O.'s first name as John and shows his address.

That's the only Sprakes family listed in the 1860 census, and obviously James D. is missing. However, in the city directory, J.O. spells the name "Sprake," and that opens more possibilities.

In the 1860 census, there was another family in Lexington whose father was born in England, and it included both an Isaac and a James:

Thomas Sprake, 72, male, farmer, $7,700 real estate, $11,500(?) personal property, born in England
    Margaret Sprake, 52, female, born in Kentucky
    James Sprake, 25, male, Dp (sic deputy?) Assessor, $500 personal property, born in Kentucky
    Robert Sprake, 18, male
    Isaac, 15, male
    Elizabeth 13, female

There was also a James Sprake, 28 years old, born in Kentucky, but living in Missouri in the 1860 census.

I probably just complicated matters, but at least that shows that the Kentucky Sprakes probably immigrated from England between the 1790s and 1840ish.

Edited to add: If the Thomas Sprake family was indeed the family of Isaac and James in the 5th KY Cavalry, I wondered why their brother Robert didn't join also. Well, check it out: http://www.civilwar.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm Search for "Sprake" as a last name. He did. Looks like the 5th and 9th KY cav had some connection. Check out also Isaac Sprake and James D Sprake in the listing.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Last edited by Hank Trent; 02-06-2009, 08:41 AM.
    Hank Trent

Comment

Re: Need Help with Ancestor Portrayal

checked on the link and Robert Sprake seems to be listed twice under the Listing for the 9th
      Sprake, Isaac A Private Private
      Sprake, R. A Private Private
      Sprake, Robert S. A Private Private

Listing for the 8th
      Sprake, James D. A Private Private

and for the 5th
      Sprakes, I. C Private Private
      Sprakes, James D. C Private Private
      AND!!
      Sprake, Robert S C Private Private

Now this points to Thomas and a misspeling for two brothers at the mustering of the 5th. So there may have been no Sprakes at the ACW, just two misspelled Sprake.
      But my dad who has been tracing our own family in the UK has pointed out that this same basic error Sprake/Sprakes occurs several times in our records as well.

Now if I include Sprake as he suggests then my possible relatives go to add

More Kentucky Cavs
      Sprake, John Confederate Cavalry 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry
      Sprake, John D. Confederate Cavalry 14th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry
      (I wonder if both of these are the same guy?

Then these three.

Sprake, Benjamin Confederate Infantry 39th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
      Sprake, Jacob Union Infantry 31st Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
      Sprake, Oliver M. Union Infantry 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry

Now the 8th and 5th seem to run parallel histories so it is not impossible for a man to move from one to the other and they were both in the same place, he 9th seem to follow on after Buffington Island at which it is assumed that James and issac were captured as they were listed as captured in 63, then pensioned under sprakes. (Pension records were my start point.) S census confirm Robert sprake, son of Thomas and brother of Issac was still living in 1910, so he too must have survived.

Many Thanx Hank, this has opened barn doors and far from confusion may have added much clarity.

Also came across this by chance.
      Indexes and abstracts relating to Sprague and Sprague-derivative surnames Spragen, Spraggins, Spragin, Sprague, Spraher, and Sprake!
      Nice to now that my unique name may be no such thing, just a series of spelling errors!

But even if they were spelling errors it still stands that there were only two Sprakes by name LOL !!
      [B][I]Christian Sprakes
      19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Working...
      X