Book opinions needed..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book opinions needed..

I like to read memoirs or diary type books for the most part. Picking up useful bits of info on uniforms, equipments, how they lived, rather than the usual just battle accounts. Books like Rebel Private Front and Rear, Diary of a Confederate Soldier and others. Here are a few I ran across on book sites and before I spend my shrinking spare funds to buy or pay for inter-library loan fees... I ask for input on any of these you may have read. Thanks for any help. Jim Hensley

1). Ten months in the orphan brigade by Conrad Wise Chapman

2). 1861 to 1865 Personal experiences in the confederate army by Capt. James Dinkins

3). Life in the confederate army, being the observations and experiences of an alien in the south during the war by William Watson

4). Reminiscences of a soldier in the orphan brigade by Lot D. Young

5). Only a private: Texas civil war memoir by James M. McCaffrey

6). Whip Em' Everytime by Bartlett Yancy Malone

7). Tithes of Blood by Billy Ellis

8). Raw Pork and Hardtack: A civil war memoir

9). John Dooley Confederate Soldier his war journal by John Dooley

10). Rags and Hope: The memoirs of Val C. Giles, 4 years with Hoods texas brigade, 4th Texas Infantry
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
    Order of Heptasophs 1852

Re: Book opinions needed..

Well, others can tell you more about them , but a quick check show that # 2 and # 4 are available on the internet archive for free. (www.archive.org.) And an article in JSTOR from 1945 thought highly about #9.
    John Taylor

Comment

I've not read most of the ones on your list, but will say that the William Watson one was a lot of fun. It's western Confederate -- he joined up in Louisiana and saw action in Missouri and Arkansas. The biggest thing I learned in reading it is that my Western brothers are sooooooo right, that I have abysmal igorance of that whole end of the war. Watson's take on "Spoons" Butler was worth the price of the book, IMHO.

Karin Timour
      Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
      Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

The only first hand account book Ive read is "Rebel Private, Front and Rear." So I dont have much knowledge to contribute, but my family actually found a couple books for me on a whim, and said theyre sending them to me. They are #6 and 10 on your list. Now I just have to make sure my familia actually does send them instead of letting them collect dust somewhere, then I got to find the time to read them. But I looked up the writings online and do believe "Whip um everytime" is an actual diary. (7 Feb..., 8 Feb...). They should be good reads.

Scott Malone
        Scott Malone

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

The Wiliam Watson is good. Lets us know about any of the others, please. Book money is short all over.
          Charles Watson
          Guide/researcher at Bellamy Mansion and Poplar Grove Plantation all ways looking for info

Comment

One book that is a great take on camp life in the Civil War is Susie King Taylor's A Black Woman's Civil War Memoirs: Reminisciences of My Life in Camp.

Taylor writes this account about her travels with the 33rd U. S. Colored Troops and the 1st South Carolina Volunteers. In my opinion, the book gives us a great view of what camp life was like from a civilian's point of view.

I have read a several of the books aforementioned in this thread, as well, and would recommend any of them.
            [I][COLOR="Navy"]Amber L. Clark[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Pard,

It's not on your list, but John Camden West's, "A Texan in Search of a Fight," is a great read also - and better yet, available for free on Google Books.

West's account is written from the perspective of a soldier in Hood's Texas Brigade in 1863 & 1864 and includes diary entries and letters home. You'll enjoy it, I'm certain!

Best of luck on your choices,
              Respectfully,

Nicholas Redding

[url]http://preservationbivouac.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Working...
              X