Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zouave Uniforms!

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
    I'm undergoing the same search for proper materials, etc. for a late-war 155th Pennsylvania Infantry uniform.
    That's a uniform I'd like to have. ~Gary
    Gary Dombrowski
    [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Last year the 3rd Texas Light Artillery appeared on the field of battle at the Battle of Hickory Creek in DeRidder, LA. We were quite a source of interest and amusement to the others but we had a good time.
      Our uniforms were made by the ladies of our Order of Confederate Rose, from some commercial pattern but somewhat modified by the ladies. The pants started out as knee length but ended as standard boot length; they are red/white striped, soaked in weak tea to give it a darker stained look. The coats are of jeanwool, lined with osnaburg; the red design on the breast came from a picture the ladies saw in a book somewhere. Here's a link to some of the photos: and scroll down a little. In cool weather we wear red stocking caps, in warmer weather we wear the standard kepi.
      During the 'court martial' held that afternoon, one of the prosecuting officers questioned the integrity of an officer who was defending a prisoner, claiming that anyone who would wear pajamas to a battle couldn't properly defend a prisoner. That got a lot of laughs from the crowd. ;-)
      Some of us wore them at the Battle of Sabine Pass and got to tell a lot about the Zouave uniform and its origins.
      Hope this helps, or at least amuses.

Hank Van Slyke
      3rd Texas Light Artillery
      Hank Van Slyke
      "Cousin Hank"
      [URL="http://www.flatfenders.com/scv/camp1745.htm"]3rd Texas Light Artillery[/URL]
      Orange, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by PvtHull48thovi View Post
        I am looking for a place that sells a decent 165th NY Zouave uniforms
        Shelby,

This is coming from a guy that began his first impression doing the 1st Louisiana Special Battalion (aka "Wheat's Tigers"). So, I'd like to think I have more expertise over this whole business than most people! :p

The 165th New York Infantry uniforms are virtually the same as the 5th New York Infantry uniforms because the "Smith Zouaves" (1862) were the predecessors of the Duryeé Zouaves (1861), its 2d Battalion.

As far as having the basic necessities: short, colllarless jacket, sleeveless vest (gilet), and trousers (serouel):

- Try contacting Matt Williamson of Timeline Clothiers. Matt's been making specialty uniforms for years and in still in business.
        - Also Steve Logan of Grand Old Army Uniforms. Steve served a tour in Iraq and I hear he's back now, sewing once again. I don't have his phone number on hand though.
        - In addition, try asking any current 5th New Yorkers about where they're getting stuff made. I'm thinking specifically about one of our mess mates Tom Scoufalos (username: RN_PAC). And as I recall, their unit had a lady doing uniforms for themselves.. her name escapes me though...
        - Many people are pointing fingers at Tim Sheads of S&S Sutlery. Yes, he is also a possible resource because waaay-back-when Tim was a member of the 5th New York. Give him a ring.
        - Shaun Grenan, our forum zouave expert, may be able to make some suggestions (username: zouavecampaigner). Shaun's compiled a database over the years for his precious zouave fetish (http://www.geocities.com/zouavedatabase/). He's also done numerous zouave impressions over the years, specifically with the 114th Pennsylvania.

Well, that's all the basic stuff. However, you'll still need a sash, leggings, jambieres, fez, and, of course, the cool African-inspired turban. As you can see, you better have a good bit of extra cash on you if you're going to get the complete thing!

And Wick is right, an authentic 5th New York uniform is going to be pretty expensive. Most were contracted by the Schuylkill Arsenal, meaning completely handsewn.

That being said (and mods don't hurt me too much for this :o), you might try contacting Timeless Stitches (http://www.tstitches.com/) to see if they can put you together something for cheaper. But, obviously, not as authentic quality. Such are the travesties of specialty impressions...

Hope this helps you and any other zoo-zoo nuts out there!

Toujours Zouave,
        Last edited by Shockoe Hill Cats; 02-12-2009, 05:31 PM. Reason: I can speak English...
        Jason C. Spellman
        Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Also, check out Dirty Billy's Hats. He has the Fez and Turban on there.
          Timothy J. Koehn
          Boone's Louisiana Battery
          Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
          http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Sorry bout that, my bad.

-Garrett Glover
            Garrett Glover

Comment

Was the 3rd TX Artillery originally a Zouave unit?
              Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Jason thanks for that excellent information. I'm Shelby's dad, and without a doubt, the source of the cash for this project since he is a freshman in college LOL

However, since I try to do as much as I can with him ( I raised him more as a best friend than a son ), I'll be forking out TWICE this amount to do my own impression also.

years ago, the guys at the Mansfield State Commemorative Area here in northwest louisiana did the 165th New York. Though they have scattered far and wide, I will contact the one fellow who is still working there that was in this unit, who might be able to shed some light on where they had thier traps made.

All of you had had some good suggestions and thanks from any of you that have contributed. We will keep you posted as the project goes forth. I'm sure mrs Hull will be the one putting these uni's together, she does damned fine work.. when she has the time.

Thanks y'all

Ronnie - Shreveport
                Ronnie Hull
                Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Double post!
                  Last edited by PVT.THIB; 02-12-2009, 07:17 PM. Reason: Double posted
                  [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
                  Independent Rifles
                  Swamp Angels
                  Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Originally posted by tmdreb View Post
                    Was the 3rd TX Artillery originally a Zouave unit?
                    Phil,
                    I am pretty certain they were not.
                    Jason
                    [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
                    Independent Rifles
                    Swamp Angels
                    Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Hiya Thib! Looking forward to shaking yor paw at De-ridder in a coupla weeks

Ronnie
                      Ronnie Hull
                      Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                      Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                      Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                      2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                      Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Pvt. Jason is right, the 3rd Texas wasn't originally a Zouave unit. The ladies of the Orange chapter of the Confederate Rose got an idea that it would be interesting to make Zouave uniforms for the 3rd Texas ... The guys didn't have a lot of say in the matter, since most of the Roses are the bosses. er, wives. But we got used to the idea as the fitting sessions became more numerous, and the uniforms are now a good part of the Living History presentations. The history of the origins of the Zouave uniforms are told, the exploits of Wheat's Tigers and the 165th NY are told, and some good learning occurs among the spectators. And there's always someone who starts whistling "Pop goes the weasel". At the Battle of Sabine Pass last year, a Zouave was 'killed' during a skirmish. Before the 'reanimate' call was given, several reenactors stood around the 'dead' Zouave and one of them sorrowfully remarked, "Awww, they got the organ grinder monkey". (It wasn't Pvt. Jason that said it, I swear.) ;-)
                        If there was ever a real Texas Zouave battery, we're not aware of it. But if there was one, the 3rd Texas might serve as a recreation. Good luck to everyone who is heading for the Zouave impression. It's fun and informative.

Hank Van Slyke
                        3rd Texas Light Artillery
                        Hank Van Slyke
                        "Cousin Hank"
                        [URL="http://www.flatfenders.com/scv/camp1745.htm"]3rd Texas Light Artillery[/URL]
                        Orange, Texas

Comment

In regards to the subject of Zouave uniforms, If you are looking for a Zouave uniform, I would also have to highly recommend Matt Williamson. He does excellent work. He has made uniforms for several members from the 5th NYDZ Co. C. Although his uniforms are a little pricey, they are worth every penny. (You get what you pay for)

I have also purchased a 76th PA Keystone Zouave uniform from Matt Williamson (which I am very happy with).
                          Last edited by Pvt. Thompson 5th NYSV; 02-14-2009, 05:29 PM.
                          Ryan Thompson
                          5th N.Y.D.Z.
                          Co. C

Comment

Does Shirley Miller still make Zouave uniforms for S & S Sutler?
                            Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Adam,

No, Shirley retired several years ago. The 5th NYVI, Co. C in Southern California used to purchase uniforms from Shirley while she was in business. Once she retired, a consistent source of 5th NY uniforms has been difficult to come by.
                              Steve Johsz

Comment

I could use a 165th New York Zouave uniform. The 165th wore the same uniform as the 5th New York Zouaves. The only difference was that the 165th wore a blue tassle on their fez instead of yellow.
                                Jason Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X