Stories from my ancestor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stories from my ancestor

I could not be more proud of this information as it directly involves several of my ancestors. I've waited for some time for this post searching for a picture...that I have finally found. As my current research for an early war weapon lead me through the dark allies of flintlock v/s percussion conversion and military v/s civilian rifles I decided that this would be a good time for this post. Several of my previous research projects and posts on here are inspired by this same unit and often this man. The following information comes from the memoirs of one of my ancestors in the 51st VA Inf. Co. A. Sgt. William Henry Wampler. Here it is for your enjoyment.

Southwest Virginia native, John B. Floyd, former U.S. secretary of War was asked by President Jefferson Davis to organize a department of Southwest Virginia riflemen to be equipped with "their own tried weapons...."

Camp at Wytheville, VA Spring of 1861
    From wise we went to Wytheville and joined ourselves to the 51st VA Regiment, Floyd's Brigade. Here we stayed and drilled for several weeks. We got our new uniforms (wish I knew what these looked like for sure) and laid aside our old clothes. So we began to look like soldiers. Well after some weeks we were equipped with some old flintlock muskets and began to learn the manual of arms....

I will skip to 1865....In Prison:
    Lee surrendered on the 9th of April. We excpected to be released at once, but alas, the worst had not hit us yet. We got up one morning and seen all the yankee flags and half mast. Soon we learned that Lincoln had been shot. Then they were harder on us than ever.
    June of 1865
    We had gone down in defeat. From prison, the Ynakees took us to Balitmore and then to City Point, VA., where we were turned loose. We were several hundred miles from home, with nether purse nor script. We would have to make our way back home the best we could. The Southerners had sacrificed their lives and all the had for love of country. After having suffered so much together, the people of Three Forks (current Big Stone Gap) seemed all the more kinder and generous with each other.

Many years later...this is some of these fellers of the 51st attached...two of them are believed to be my ancestors (Colliers) at the reunion...
    If you want to read notes of Mr. Wampler's experiences, obtain the book "Three Forks of the Powell" edited and produced by James Tucker.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lukegilly13; 02-15-2009, 07:58 PM. Reason: source
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Re: Stories from my ancestor

I have another picture that I will scan of part of the farm as it remained after the War of another of my kin who served his country. I will post it soon. Here's why this unit hits close to home for me:
    Ancestors in the 51st VA:
    George L. Collier
    Issac N. Collier
    John B. Collier
    Jonathon Creech (4g grandfather)
    Elkanah Gilly (4g grandfather)
    Francis Gilly
    John B. Gilly
    John W. Gilly
    James Gilly
    possibly Jesse Gilly
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the Virginia Regimental History Series: The 51st Virginia Infantry by James Davis?
      I've been trying to locate a copy of this book and see what sort of details it contains to see if it is worth searching for a copy since it is out of print.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
        Would anyone happen to have a copy of the Virginia Regimental History Series: The 51st Virginia Infantry by James Davis?
        I've been trying to locate a copy of this book and see what sort of details it contains to see if it is worth searching for a copy since it is out of print.
        Have you tried contacting the Museum of the Confederacy they have many of the Regimental History series' in stock. I don't know if they still have the 51st, wouldn't hurt to call.
        Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Luke - you may also be able to find the 51st VA book at one of the Virginia NPS battlefields. When I can't find one anywhere else, sometimes that works.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Also try Mark Ramsey in Richmond, he always has a ton of the older versions and the last reprint of these books.

Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Luke,
              You may want to give the Museum of the Middle Appalachians in Saltville a call. When I went there a couple of summers ago they had a few of the Regimental Series for SW VA. That's where I bought the one for Home Guard units.
              Mick Cole
              37th VA Co. E
              22nd VA

Comment

Working...
              X