More eBay whoppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More eBay whoppers

Yes, I do scope eBay from time to time just to humor myself. Sometimes I find a gem, this isn't one of those times:

If the link doesn't work, try eBay aution #400032019413

Paul McKee
    Last edited by CompanyWag; 02-18-2009, 02:08 PM.
    Paul McKee

Re: More eBay whoppers

Is that what it is!!! And here all this time I've had one turned upside down on my patio with a plant growing out of it!
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

You oughta jump on that, it was $245 in the newspaper ad!!!!
      Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
      Old wore out Bugler

Comment

To give the seller the benefit of the doubt:
        - He may not know what he has.
        - He may not have read the the label carefully.
        - He has succumbed to the "anything marked Civil War sells" theory of marketing.
        - I may be way off the mark.

However -
        I think this is a millinery mold. Note the mark referenced in the clipping: "United Kepi Cap & Millinery" (emphasis mine).

Take the first and third photos and rotate them 90 degrees left and right respectively. That sure looks like a bonnet mold to me.

I've asked some historic milliners to take a look at the images. I'll let you know their comments. In the meantime, I think we're talking millinery, not hat-making.

Regards,
        Carolann Schmitt
        [email]cschmitt@genteelarts.com[/email]
        20th Annual Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference, March 6-9, 2014

Comment

You're right on the money Carolann per usual, as soon as I looked at the images I said to myself, "That's a bonnet form!" And a nice one it is too, you kepi makers out there might try your hands at making bonnets for a change.:wink_smil
          Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Yes, I suspect you are correct with the milliner's form ID. The shape strikes me as reminiscent of a late 1840's coal-scoop bonnet. (Ladies, please correct me if you feel otherwise.) I also wonder when the word "kepi" first entered the American lexicon? 1850's?

Well a military "kepi mold" it most certainly is not. And yes, any time anything seems remotely Civil War, sellers see dollar $ign$. However, I will concede that in the right hands, this thing would have much value.

Paul McKee
            Last edited by CompanyWag; 02-19-2009, 01:55 AM.
            Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
            X