Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help

We're on the eve of the vote to close Old Bethpage. The vote that was tabled two weeks ago when you raised such a hue and cry.

Yes, we know you helped already. Yes, we know it's Sunday night.

But we need you now as we have never needed you before.

Why should you care?
    Historic spaces are being shuttered all over the country. Often, we hear only after it's too late or when nothing can be done. Pamphlin Park, The Old Statehouse, Morristown. All the museums in a given state.

This time we can do something. This time you can help fight for history.

We just need that little extra bit to get us over the top. This isn't a case of millions of dollars being needed.

And most of the Legislature is on our side.

It's those in the "middle of the road" who are waffling, but who have the votes to make the difference.

Help make up their minds.

"You can't teach history without Computers and Videoscreens"
    Many of you have said how much you dislike the new Gettysburg Visitors' Center, the Animatronic Lincoln Museum with holographic Lincoln Ghosts and mannikins that tape loop the Gettysburg Address.

Old Bethpage is the opposite. It's real. The buildings are real, the living historians and live musicians are real.

It puts the lie to "we have to have automated computers to teach history." The chance to hold a hard tack, scrub on a washboard, sing along while someone plays an instrument, write with a slate pencil, gather kindling, touch a cow, chase a chicken, all of these are mesmerizing to today's children, and all can be experienced at Old Bethpage. Teachers see real improvement in schoolwork after a visit to the village.

Teacher Education
    Not only does it inspire children, local teachers have been holding free workshops for each other to explain how to use the Village to teach math, reading, spelling and other topics. How to weave your lesson plans around the magic of the village. If this isn't an example of "use of local resources," and "added value" I don't know what is. Teaching consultants could get big fees for doing what local teachers are doing with each other for free.

Additional Source of Revenue
    For those of you who aren't familiar with the village, they hold an 1870s fair every fall, and they've built a fair building to house it. An increasing number of couples, looking for an unusual spot for a wedding reception have been renting this building out. Until this year it didn't have a bathroom, so the rental fee was lower because any wedding party had to rent portable bathrooms to use it. If it had bathrooms, it could be rented at a higher fee, and more couples could use it on the weekends, thus providing an added source of funding. Wedding receptions are pricy events to hold, and a site with the Village's ambiance could command a healthy fee. Construction has already begun on those bathrooms, and they were to be completed this spring. If the village closes, this source of revenue will also be lost.

Why do I need to do something today?
    You raised such an outcy two weeks ago, that the Legislature tabled the vote for two weeks, in hopes that you'd forget or get distracted.

These buildings aren't Disney Replicas, they aren't "based on an idea from Carl Sandburg of what a tavern looked like" -- they are the real deal. Buildings that were lived in and used by real people for 100 years (some of them nearly 200 years). Historic homes decay without constant vigilance. If the village closes, the buildings will be shuttered, the maintenance staff will be discharged and it will moulder, perhaps for years. Left alone to rot for years, some will decay past repair.

They were saved from being pulled down and gathered from every corner of Long Island. They were maintained through the Panic of the 1870s, the 1970s Recession, two World Wars and the Great Depression. Don't let it be said that our generation locked the doors and walked away.

Send a clear message that we didn't forget, and that we care about history, in every corner of this country. Yes, Long Island residents will carry the most weight on this vote. But even those of us who don't live on the Island can send a message that we travel, we spend money on historic sites and museums, and we vote.

What you can do:

1. Sign the electronic petition -- it takes less than a minute.

Link: http://www.petitiononline.com/saveOBVR/petition.html

2. Leave an email for a legislator -- cut and paste your favorite paragraphs from the arguments above. Or use your own words. Here's the link to all their emails:

Link: http://www.petitiononline.com/saveOBVR/petition.html

3. Leave them a message -- their phone mail will be open all night, and they'll be voting tomorrow.
    Who needs to hear from you:
    Nassau County Executive Thomas R. Suozzi
    Telephone: (516) 571-3131 Fax: 516-571-4000

Finance Committee Members:
    Chair: Roger Corbin
    Telephone: 516-571-6202 Fax: 516-571-6761

Vice Chair: Wayne Wink
    Telephone: 516-571-6211 Fax: 516-571-6271

Ranking Member: John Ciotti
    Telephone: 516-571-6203 Fax: 516-571-6732

Finance Committee Members:
    Kevan Abraham
    Telephone: 516-571-6201 Fax: 516-571-6187

Denise Ford
    Telephone: 516-571-6204 Fax: 516-571-6264

Joseph Scannell
    Telephone: 516-571-6205 Fax: 516-571-0291

Vincent Mascarella
    Telephone: 516-571-6208 Fax: 516-571-6268

Richard Nicolello
    Telephone: 516-571-6209 Fax: 516-571-6166

Judi Bosworth
    Telephone: 516-571-6210 Fax: 516-571-0405

Additional Legislators (Will be voting Monday, not on the Finance Committeee)

Frances Becker
    Telephone: 516-571-6206 Fax: 516-571-6133

Jeffrey Toback
    Telephone: 516-571-6207 Fax: 516-571-6287

Peter Schmitt
    Telephone: 516-571-6212 Fax: 516-571-6734

Norma Gonsalves
    Telephone: 516-571-6213 Fax: 516-571-6746

David Meijas
    Telephone: 516-571-6214 Fax: 516-571-6134

Dennis Dunn
    Telephone: 516-571-6215 Fax: 516-571-6235

Judith Jacobs
    Telephone: 516-571-6216 Fax: 516-571-6287

Edward Mangano
    Telephone: 516-571-6217 Fax: 516-571-6277

Diane Yatauro
    Telephone: 516-571-6216 Fax: 516-571-6158

David Dennenburg
    Telephone: 516-571-6219 Fax: 516-571-3907

SAVE OLD BETHPAGE! WE CAN WIN!

Sincerely,
    Karin Timour
    Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Re: Please Help

Consider it done!
    Ron Moen
    Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
    CWPT
    E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Ditto. Good luck.
      [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
      [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
      Independent Volunteers
      [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Thank you Rod and Todd, your support means a great deal.

Rob Walker will be along soon to give a more detailed report of the hearings. I wasn't there myself, but this is what I've been told happened:

I just got home and it's been a really long day, so I'll limit this to the basics:

1. Thank you all for everything you did to help with the efforts on Old Bethpage.

2. There was a good showing at the hearings today.

3. The petition was presented (thank you to all who signed it).

4. Several people gave testimony in person.

5. The Nassau County Executive said a number of nice things, most importantly that he's sitting down with the Unions and hopefully things will get worked out. In the meantime, they have removed the motion from the docket to close Old Bethpage, the other museums, parks and recreation.

6. Personally, I'm very relieved that they addressed this at their meeting. I don't currently think that we're completely out of the woods -- until the Legislature has finalized and adopted their budget.

7. I've seen politicians do a U-turn in the dark of night before.

Am going to bed now, will hear what others have to say in the morning.

Sincere thanks,

Karin Timour
        Last edited by KarinTimour; 02-24-2009, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Ma'am, signed petition and hope it helps.
          Mel Hadden
          Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
          Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
          Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
          www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Dear Mr. Hadden:

Thank you very much for taking the time to sign the petition. Every signature helps -- there's a report from the main folks who have been organizing the Old Bethpage struggle on the thread in the Preservation forum of the AC board. The Legislature is being hit with a lot of people who are upset about different cuts they are proposing, but it does seem that they are hearing our voices. Currently they've taken the proposal to close off the voting docket, but it's not been voted down, simply put in suspension while they are wrestling with the Unions.

I'm with Rob Walker in not thinking that this is over yet -- once we get a final budget and pass it, then I'll believe it's over.

In the meantime, every signature will help to signal how many people (both on Long Island and throughout the country) want to keep Old Bethpage open.

Thank you again for all your help.

SAVE OLD BETHPAGE!

WE CAN WIN!

Sincerely,
            Karin Timour

Comment

Karen,

Just read about this and the petition has been signed.
              Marc Riddell
              1st Minnesota Co D
              2nd USSS Company C
              Potomac Legion

Comment

Karin,

Signed the petition. Best of luck with the future proceedings.

Dan Hadley
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                X