More stuff next to Dad's fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More stuff next to Dad's fireplace

While visiting with my father today he showed me an very old leather military waist belt. On the reverse side of the belt is my g.g.g great grandfather's name, H.C.Conner's (Henry Cohoon Conner) written with the "S" at the end of his name, ownership. The leather is thin and somewhat brittle. The reverse side is smooth light brown.
    My father said it originally had a buckle, but my great grandmother allowed him and his brothers to play with it and the sword as boys. He said the buckle was lost outside somewhere during that time. The sword appears to be from the 1820s. Dad said he thought Henry C.Conner was a member of a locale militia. I know both the belt and sword had been in the family before the Civil War.Henry is the fellow who was a member of the 1st Eastern Shore Maryland, Inf., Co. K. He refused along with approx. 38 others from his company to continue on to Gettysburg, part of Lockwoods Brigade. He felt the government could not make him outside of Maryland's borders. After the Battle of Gettysburg, all members of his company that stayed on the Eastern Shore were put in confinment at Ft. McHenry.
    If any one can tell me more about what type and approx. age of the sword and waist belt I would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Brent Conner

Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
    Benjamin Franklin

Re: More stuff next to Dad's fireplace

You may want to go back and search for the buckle. If you don't want to buy a metal detector, you can rent them from some places. Call a local dealer.
    A buddy of mine's father-in-law, in Alabama, had a part of a 2-pc CS buckle in the attic. About 10 yrs ago he purchased a metal detector and searched their yard, the property had been in the family for almost 200 yrs. Well, you guessed correctly, he found the other pc. It was appraised back then for $15,000 with it being only the 3rd known to exist.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Well, I thought my Dad was being mean at the time, when he wouldn't let us kids play with his Civil War stuff. But now that he's 82 and wants to pass this stuff along to me, I see his wisdom! He's given me an 1850 Schuyler, Hartley and Graham officer's sword from the 113th OVI, a 1860 ames cavalry sword and a artillery short sword as well as various buckles and images. Thank goodness he didn't let us play with them!
      Pvt. Jeff Litchfield
      22nd Mass. Vol. Infantry
      20th South Carolina Vol. Infantry
      "Death, or an Honorable Life" (Mass 43rd- The Tiger Regiment)

Comment

In this photo the young officer has an identical sword:
        Nick Buczak
        19th Ind

[url]http://www.allempires.com[/url]

Comment

Is that kid an officer that is standing between the men?

Thanks,

Tyler Habig
          Tyler Habig
          49th Indiana Co. F
          [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

[I]Proud Descendent of:[/I]

[I][SIZE=3]Aaron T. Kinslow[/SIZE][/I]
          [I][SIZE=3]Co. D 6th Ky Reg Ky[/SIZE][/I]
          [I][SIZE=3]Vol C.S.A.[/SIZE][/I]
          [I][SIZE=3]Born Dec 17, 1842[/SIZE][/I]
          [I][SIZE=3]Died Jan 31, 1862[/SIZE][/I]
          Bummers