Dog River Glassworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog River Glassworks

Not sure where to throw this, and couldn't find anything in the archives, but wondered if anyone knew anything about the status of Dog River Glassworks? I knew that they had stopped production at some point, but wasn't sure if they were completely defunct, or merely "offline" in the short term?

Can anyone shed some light on if these guys are still in business, or what the story is on them? They did remarkable work, and I'd love to hear it if they are planning on starting production again.

Thanks,

Dan Schoeneberg
    Dan Schoeneberg

Re: Dog River Glassworks

Dog River Glassworks had some OK stuff (mainly their cathedral pickle bottles), but for the $30 for one reproduction black glass ale bottle, which doesn't compare all that well with most original mid-19th century black glass bottles I've examined or own, you can go to an antique bottle show and pick up 10 (yes, 10) original 1850s-60s black glass bottles.

This last December I went to the Gold Rush Bottle Show in Auburn, CA and picked up nearly a dozen beautiful original bottles for less than $20 to add to my swelling collection of original glassware. So, if you want my opinion, stick with original bottles, there are tons to be collected and they cost significantly less than the repros (which aren't nearly as good) on the market.
    Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Originally posted by Ian McWherter View Post
      So, if you want my opinion, stick with original bottles, there are tons to be collected and they cost significantly less than the repros (which aren't nearly as good) on the market.
      Ditto that, originals are far cheaper and better quality, and plentiful if you know how to look. Don't buy dug bottles, oxidation does nasty scars to the glass.
      Mfr,
      Judith Peebles.
      No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
      [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

All
        With all due respect and as someone who enjoys period glassware as well, maybe we should ask whether or not Dan intended to use the bottles at reenactments, or if he was merely interested in collecting for show, demonstration or living histories. Glass of all period items is fragile (duh), with dug glass being even less stable (as pointed out) hence original pieces wouldn't be the best option for travel, show, LH, etc.

Of course the inherent problem with originals, no matter how copious they may appear, (though apparently Ian has the majority of existing specimens!) is that they are limited in number and are not made anymore. And anyone can tell you once broken they are not fun to piece back together.

Suggested reading on how to better ID glass:
        The Parks Canada Glass Glossary.
        Which should be available here:

Most Respectfully
        Drew Gruber
        Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Not sure where to throw this, and couldn't find anything in the archives, but wondered if anyone knew anything about the status of Dog River Glassworks? I knew that they had stopped production at some point, but wasn't sure if they were completely defunct, or merely "offline" in the short term?

Can anyone shed some light on if these guys are still in business, or what the story is on them? They did remarkable work, and I'd love to hear it if they are planning on starting production again.

Thanks,

Dan Schoeneberg
          To answer your question...after the tragic loss of their glassblower last Spring, I do not believe they have stayed in business...as their website is now closed.

Originals can be really cool...but I support Drew's comment about their fragility...and what happens when they're used in the field and broken/lost? That said...I do feel they have a place in controlled settings, where the loss can be minimalized.

Of course with original glass, ceramics, etc...you do have the potential for subjecting your body to lead...found in leaded glass...and lead glazes on ceramics...

If your'e looking for a few period style bottles (cased gin, cathedral...etc.), you may also want to check out Eastern National (the bookstore operator for the NPS): http://www.eparks.com/store/search.asp

Paul B.
          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
          (Loblolly Mess)
          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I will assume since we are a reenacting forum that Mr. Schoeneberg is wanting to take items out into the field. We've often debated whether this is a good idea or not. I guess it depends on what you're doing and who you're eventing with. We must remember however as Drew has stated, the 1800s are over. There can now only be reproductions of the past or original items that once shattered have a lifespan that ends.

Unfortunately, I do not know what happened with Dog River Glassworks. They were there (as I ordered some stuff from them) and then they weren't. However, you can order glasswares from Carter and Jasper (they no longer ship food contained within them; http://carterandjasper.com/groceries.htm) or Ezra Barnhouse Goods has food stuffs (http://www.ezrabarnhousegoods.com/products.html) and I do not know if they are shipping items within or not. I'm sure however that Mr. Crabb would be glad to answer that one.
            Sincerely,
            Emmanuel Dabney
            Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
            http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Thank you all for your timely responses. That is one reason I posted my question here, as I knew that there would be folks who could provide an answer to the query. Thank you Paul for the answer to my question of the status of Dog River- I had a hunch that they were out of business, and it's certainly sad to hear the passing of their glassblower. Thank you also Paul for the information on the reproductions from Eastern National, I was unaware that they were producing bottles and glassware.

Thanks Emmanuel as well for passing along Carter and Jasper, and Ezra's websites. I'll hopefully be seeing at least John and Becky in a few weeks, so I'll ask them about their resources. Both folks may have exactly what I am in need of, and in the quantity I need them.

Drew, and Emmanuel, to answer your question, I am actually looking for accurate reproductions of period bottles (pre-war) for use in an upcoming museum exhibit opening this summer. I am specifically looking for foodstuff and pharmaceutical bottles for two elements in the exhibition. I am in need of multiple identical reproductions to represent the store display shelves found in an 1859 dry goods store and drug store. Given this, and the conditions that they will be in, the use of original examples is out of the question. I've found useful things at a few other sources, and had thought I had remembered that Dog River had made some things that might have fit what I needed. Hence my earlier question.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Dan Schoeneberg
              Dan Schoeneberg

Comment

Does anyone have a contact for them? I am actually looking for something NON-glass related that they carried. I need several of their ceramic handleless "Leavenworth" 1840's coffee cups!

Chris Fischer
                Fort McKavett
                &
                F-Troop

Comment

Working...
                X