Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here live in NYC?

Greetings all,

I was just wondering if any of you guys out there live in NYC, particularily the Manhattan burrough. I ask this because in not being able to be home for memorial day this year, I decided I would do something for this day to honor the heroes, to visit Grants Memorial & the Soldier & Sailors Monument which are right near where I live, in full uniform & traps (minus bayonet, powder, caps, & the rifle of course). Then I really looked into it, and found a few other War Between the States related monuments located in Manhattan, and decided that I'd add those to my list of monuments to visit. So here's my question Gentlemen, if you live in NYC & particularily Manhattan, would you be willing to join me in my visitation of the monuments on Memorial Day this May? This is the list of Monuments I have found, if you know of others in Manhattan, please feel free to inform:

-Gen. W.S. Hancock Monument, W. 123rd St. & Manhattan Av.

-Gen. Grant Memorial, W. 122nd St. Riverside Park

-Gen. Dan Butterfield Monument, W. 112th St. Riverside Park

-Gen. Franz Siegel Monument, W. 106th St. Riverside Park

-ACW Soldiers & Sailors Monument, W. 89th Street Riverside Park

-7th Reg. NYSV Monument, Central Park opposite W. 67th St.

-Gen. W.T. Sherman Monument, Grand Army Plaza, W. 59th St. & 5th Av.

-Admiral D.G. Farragut Monument, Madison Square Park, E. 26th St btw. 5th & Madison Av.

-Gen. Sheridan & Col. Ellsworth Monument & Flagpole, Sheridan Square, W. 4th St, Grove St., & Christopher St.

-John Ericsson Monument, Battery Park, South of Batter Pl between West & Washington St.

So basically what this would consist of, is a march from 123rd St. down to Battery Park, visiting the memorials & offering a reading of some sort & a salute to the monument. If this did take full effect, & multiple people came out for this, I think it'd be an awesome idea to get donations from every member of amount that would be determined (probably $10-$20) for CW Preservation Trust. So Gentlemen, think this over if you live here in NYC, and let me know what you think.

Much Obliged
    Last edited by PvtRJBrown; 03-24-2009, 07:20 PM.
    Pvt/Cpl. Roy James Brown
    [SIZE="2"]1st Michigan Engineers Co. E, Grand Rapids Boys (Franklin Shaw) Discharged[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]36th Illinois Infantry Co. B, Prodigal Sons Mess (Henry Alcott) Discharged[/SIZE]

[I]Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.[/I]-Julius Caesar, William Shakspeare

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Anyone here live in NYC?

Personally, I think it's a great idea, and I endorse it whole heartedly. That being said, my military impression is non-existant, but I'd like to be part of this. Perhaps meet up with you at strategic points? Send me an email at ktimour@aol.com.

Don't know how many Civil War memorials you're game for, but there are a few that you might consider in addition to your current list:

Military:

Philip Sheridan Memorial, Sheridan Square, Greenwich Village, corner of Seventh Avenue and Christopher Street

Carl Schurz Memorial, Morningside Drive and 116th Street

Alexander Stewart Webb Memorial (Medal of Honor), Convent Avenue between 138th and 139th Streets

William Earle Dodge: Youngest brigadier general in the CW, noted abolitionist and founder of the YMCA. Bryant Park, south of 42nd st., East of 6th Avenue

General Worth was the Mexican-American War, but he's buried next to Madison Square and it seems likely you'll be making a stop in his vicinity. While not the Civil War, he did serve, and it will be Memorial Day and he's almost completely forgotten in his current neighborhood.

And when you're in Madison Square, the corner of 23rd and Fifth Avenue was McClellan's Presidential Campaign Headquarters.

69th Regiment Armory - Lexington and 26th Streets, homebase now for the "Fighting 69th" and last time I was there, they had several Civil War era flags among the displays.

Seventh Regiment Armory (Park Avenue Armory) - Park Ave between 66th and 67th Streets
    I know you said you wanted to stay in Manhattan, but there is this little triumphal arch I know in Brooklyn at a place called, wait for it: Grand Army Plaza. Sometimes they open it up and you can climb up to the top of the arch.

Going back to Manhattan, you might consider adding a few more civilians to your list, along with Ericsson:

Abraham Lincoln: Two locations: North end of Union Square, and the corner of Madison and 133rd St.

Horace Greeley: two locations: City Hall Park OR 32nd street between Broadway and 6th Avenue

Frederick Law Olmstead: All of Central Park.

James Gordon Bennet: Herald Square, (Bdway/6th Avenue between 34th and 35th streets)

William Seward: Madison Square

Roscoe Conkling: Madison Square

And then there are a few Civil War sites you'll be passing on your currently planned route which should get a thought on Memorial Day:

Cooper Union: 10th st. between 4th Ave and Lafayette Site where Abraham Lincoln delivered the speech that kicked off his Presidential Campaign. Also the site of the NY Chapter of the United States Sanitary Commission.

City Hall: Where Lincoln's body laid in state on his way home to Springfield, And in City Hall Park was the recruiting station in the famous etching. Across the street (Park Row) were the Civil War sites of the New York Tribune and the New York Times. Across the street in the other direction (Broadway) was the Astor Hotel (now a Staples), where Linoln stayed on his trip to the White House.

Hope that's helpful,
    Karin Timour
    Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    Email: Ktimour@aol.com
    Last edited by KarinTimour; 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Dear Coffee-cooler,
      Ain't you supposed to be doing your studying and sech ? Glad to see you are making us Suckers proud.
      all for the old flag,
      David Corbett
      Dave Corbett

Comment

Roy,

I hit you up with a PM... although I'm not local to NYC, most of my comrades in the 69th NYSV Historical Association are and there are a few excellent historians in the group who maybe of assistance. Good Luck!
        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

If I was in-town (Danbury, CT- an hour north of the city) for Memorial Day, I'd be there. I'll be at Lackland AFB for Air National Guard training that weekend unfortunately. It would be fun to see the Civil War NYC sites and monuments.

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny,

Come into the city two weeks later... I'll be there and I'm disowning Rob C if he doesn't show...

Old Saint Patrick's Cathedral Parade - 6 to 7 June 2009

Hey? are you going to the COI in Carlisle?
            Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilo View Post
              Ain't you supposed to be doing your studying and sech ?
              Dave,

What studying? I go to a Musical Theater Conservatory school a.k.a what I'm good at in life. I dont need to study, haha. I swear though I do work hard =). Im glad to do you all back in Illinois proud. I just thought to myself, why not make a good use of a day off school (the only sanctified day off for my school =/). Plus, good oppertunity to do Preservation efforts, which is a big plus!!

See you in June, or whenever the next event we're at is. I'm going to do as much as I can this summer, & balance having jobs in shows and student directing 1, because I fear being on the verge of graduating next summer and auditioning for bigger shows with bigger paychecks, I won't be able to do events as often. Especially if I landed a job here in NYC (I'm crossing my fingers!! An Equity paycheck of $1,500 a week would be something I could live very well with!)

Salutations my friend!
              Pvt/Cpl. Roy James Brown
              [SIZE="2"]1st Michigan Engineers Co. E, Grand Rapids Boys (Franklin Shaw) Discharged[/SIZE]
              [SIZE="2"]36th Illinois Infantry Co. B, Prodigal Sons Mess (Henry Alcott) Discharged[/SIZE]

The valiant never taste of death but once.[/I]-Julius Caesar, William Shakspeare

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
                Roy,

I hit you up with a PM... although I'm not local to NYC, most of my comrades in the 69th NYSV Historical Association are and there are a few excellent historians in the group who maybe of assistance. Good Luck!
                Hey Pete,

I got your message. I will definetaly contact you all with the 69th & see who wants to join along. I think that alot of good can come from this little idea I had in my head. Also, depending upon if I'm still in NYC on the 7th (I may be flying back to Chicago that weekend to start work) If you'd welcome the company of an extra man in the Company for the St. Patricks Cathedral parade, I'd be proud to join. Maybe even if you had a drum to spare, I do fife & drum corps sometimes at events.

Much Obliged
                Pvt/Cpl. Roy James Brown

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I was familar with many of the civilan sites in NYC. However, I never realized all the war memorials. You may also wish to become familar with the story of the burning of NY. While very few structures remain from this event but certain places still bare the name still carry on such as the Winter Garden Theater (home to the show Mamma Mia), Madison Square Garden was one the Barnum Museum. Barnum's museum was sadly the only victim.

Jill
                  Jill A. Pierson
                  [email]Chesnutmor@aol.com[/email] and [email]jillpierson@yahoo.com[/email]
                  "....It is history that teaches us to hope."
                  Robert E. Lee

Comment

Dear Jill:

I agree, the Confederate attempt to burn down New York is a terrific story! One of the confusing things about New York is that we keep the same names on the businesses, but every so often, when the neighborhood becomes less fashionable, move the entire concern. In the antebellum era, New York life centered around City Hall Park and Canal Street. In the late 1850s, the fashionable area moved uptown, and during the war centered around Union Square, Grammercy Square and Madison Sqare Park.

Delmonico's restaurant, moved at that point, and if memory serves, Tiffany's Jewelers was established on Union Square (it's now at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street). The Winter Garden Theater in the 1860s was on lower Broadway. It moved up to the area of Times Square in the late 19th or early 20th century.

Your post was a little confusing, I wasn't certain if you were saying that Barnum's Museum was on Madison Square? To the best of my knowledge, it was always located at the corner of Ann Street and Broadway, close to City Hall. If you've heard otherwise, I'd be very interested to know more.

Sincerely,
                    Karin Timour
                    Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
                    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                    Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                    X