For the Texans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Texans

This is from Sears’ TO THE GATES OF RICHMOND. I have no doubt the story grew with the telling, but supposedly during the battle of Williamsburg Hood overstepped his orders but with fine results and was approached By General Johnston:

“General Hood, have you given an illustration of the Texas idea of feeling an enemy gently and falling back?” he asked. “What would your Texans have done, sir, if I had ordered them to charge and drive back the enemy?” Hood considered the question soberly before answering. “I suppose, General,“ he said, “they would driven them into the river, and tried to swim out and capture the gunboats.”

On a side note, in the interest of fair play, it’s easy to recall Mr. Hood only in the dismal light of Franklin & Nashville. It doesn’t hurt to occasionally go back and read of him at Gaines Mill, placing himself at the head of the 4th Texas and going across Boatswain’s Swamp, up the ridge and breaking the Federal line.

"Texans always move them !"
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Re: For the Texans

Hood was an excellent brigade and division commander. When given his head and a mission, his ultra aggressive nature and quality of troops was quite an asset. He simply was promoted above his level of expertise and span of control...and failed as an army commander. Then again, had he not suffered the awful wounds and heartache on the personal side...and be under the influence from time to time, he may have performed better at the army level. Considering all he had to deal with, his selection as AoT commander is one of the more curious personnel moves of the war.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Re: For the Texans

his selection as AoT commander is one of the more curious personnel moves of the war.

Yes, except when you factor in the relationship between his predecessor and Jefferson Davis?

Rich Croxton
      Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Working...
      X