Hardee Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardee Hats

Please post up pics of your creased Hardee hats. Trying to decide to crease or not.

I found this one:

Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Re: Hardee Hats

Go by the originals I say.

Mark Berrier
    North State Rifles
    Attached Files
    Mark Berrier

Comment

Hello Galen. Interesting. Almost looks like a Stevenson crease. T benders version has a more curved bill, but the crown is just like that.
      Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
      Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Hello,

The pic you have there is pretty much how creasing was done. Lots ofother ways to manipulate it though! Definitely take a look at period images as a reference.

Something to note and think on: The, like us,had their own individual styles and comfort levels. The timeless jaunty angle of a cap or hat, buttons on the fatigue blouse not all the way up, vests, all personal preference and comfort; what made them, them.

I never decided to crease mine, simply because I didn't want to and I don't think it would look right on me. However, lowering the crown looked very nice. (Though I did pop it back up after the event and it left the ring around the upper half, oh well)

At any rate, I'll stop rambling. Definitely don't mean to sound like I'm harping :)

All the best,
        [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

There's no hurry putting a crease into your hat. There's always time later to add one if you want. One you put one in, you'll have a difficult time removing it should you change your mind. Let the natural wear in your hat decide whether it needs to be creased or not.

As for the brim, you could go for the aerodynamic, Fred Baker look. His hat isn't a Hardee, but a brim is a brim. I'd swear it makes him go faster while tramping through the woods. See for yourself :

Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Look at the original pics; this is one. Note the different styles of wear to the Hardee Hats. Photo is attributed to 3rd IA VI F Co, time period is certainly mid 1863 at the latest and most probably from the spring of 62.
            Attached Files
            Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
            SUVCW Camp 48
            American Legion Post 352
            [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

I have been searching period pics. There was a post somewhere not long ago with a bunch of pics...I can't find it.

I may stay au' natural for now. My son is really wanting to crease his, but he is still growing, and I don't want tot hurt the re-sale when it is time to replace it.

If y'all have some of those period pics, post them up please. i have been searching for two weeks.
              Galen Wagner
              Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Courtesy Preston Todd: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...798#post134798
                Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Galen Wagner
                  Mobile, AL

Comment

I used the shape of my head to help me decide how to shape the dress hat. Having done so makes the hat fit better. Not fashionable but functionable.

Steve Acker

Comment

Galen Wagner
                      Mobile, AL

Comment

When I got my new hardee I soaked it in hot water then threw it up on the roof to visit with the birds, bees and squirrels for a few weeks. It came down looking very nice indeed. Had a great campaign look, the top had dropped in a bit and the brim was up on one side just a tad. Looked like it had stood the blast at Champions Hill, or at least gone through my divorce..

then my son stole it from me.

Now I'm breaking in another one..

Ronnie
                        Ronnie Hull
                        Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                        Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                        Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                        2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                        Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Working...
                        X