Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Testing

Hey gang,

Found this interesting article today when I stopped by the St. Louis Post Dispatch to see how the Cardinals did:

How do you feel about this? IMHO, I don't really see the purpose for the testing. I understand the desire to know the full and complete story about such a historical figure but I'm not sure I see how this will benefit any one.
    Matthew Easley

Re: DNA Testing

Per the article;

The last known wishes of the Lincoln family — to leave the president alone — came in 1876
    I think the family's 'last known wish' should be honored.
    Gary Davis White, Jr.

Proud descendant of;

[I]James W. White -Co. G, 30th Georgia Infantry
    Peter T. Sessums -Co. G, 7th Texas Mounted Vols.
    William R. Callaham -Co. A, 2nd Mississippi Cavalry
    Reuben R. Wansley -Co. B, 2nd Mississippi Cavalry
    Richard H. McKay -Co. I, 5th Mississippi Cavalry
    Charles D. Lander -Co. A/E, 5th Florida Cavalry
    Joshua J. Spears -Co. F, 14th Confederate Cavalry
    William M. Park -"Refugio Spies" - Texas State Troops
    John W. Baker -Surgeon, 5th Alabama Infantry[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by mudlark View Post
      Per the article;

I think the family's 'last known wish' should be honored.

I second that...I'd rather listen to the unending speculation than dishonor a family's request for their deceased relative.

Tyler Habig
      Tyler Habig
      49th Indiana Co. F
      [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

[I]Proud Descendent of:[/I]

[I][SIZE=3]Aaron T. Kinslow[/SIZE][/I]
      [I][SIZE=3]Co. D 6th Ky Reg Ky[/SIZE][/I]
      [I][SIZE=3]Vol C.S.A.[/SIZE][/I]
      [I][SIZE=3]Born Dec 17, 1842[/SIZE][/I]
      [I][SIZE=3]Died Jan 31, 1862[/SIZE][/I]
      Bummers
      Backwaters

Comment

Ok but then what about the Egyptian mummies we are always digging up and testing? The Egyptians went to quite a lot of effort to try and see that the remains weren't distributed but it doesn't seem to stop us.

I think my issue with the request is that it opens up the doors to confirming or denying one man's pet theory. So if the tests don't confirm it do we give him another sample for when he comes up with diagnosis #2. What about the next guy who has a theory on Lincoln or some other historical figure? Do we just keep digging up people to make some guy rich because he thinks got it right long distance?

Also even if Lincoln had a rare form of cancer what information would that add to our historical analysis of his actions?

If someone could point out historically useful information that might be obtained I think we might have a case to say yea or nay. This sounds to me like nothing more than idle curiosity.
        Bob Sandusky
        Co C 125th NYSVI
        Esperance, NY

Comment

I ran this story by my wife (not a big fan of history) earlier this evening & she had much the same response as everyone else -- Why?

I agree 100% with you, Bob. If, by performing this test, there was an answer to be gained that was of historical significance, than I might be on board. However, as it looks, this is someone's "idle curiosity" that could possibly open the door for other such pointless tests.
          Matthew Easley

Comment

Am I right in assuming that all of the above, Cancer and Marfans would have been affecting of his physical state only?
            If this is the case I see that it has no real place in any reinvestigation of the results as I do not see how it would have affected events or his decision making process.
            JWB killed him!
            It matters not if Marfans or Cancer would have killed him or rendered him incapable of continuation and personally dislike some things I read that say "Lincoln wold not have lived more than six months anyhow."
            JWB Killed him!
            The point is it has no bearing on what occurred.
            I say leave well alone, I would also say the same if any long long long long but proven relative of a mummy, or any other corpse, was to ask the same.

On the other hand, if it were proven that he had Cancer or anything else I do not think that it would affect my opinion in any way of this most remarkable human being.
            [B][I]Christian Sprakes
            19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Working...
            X