Slave reenacting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slave reenacting?

Well i figured i might chime on with my "two cents" here. First I would like to say that this is a great thread (one of better i've seen in the past few months) so kudos to everyone for pitching in.

I was raised in a racially mixed family, i am white my brother is black. For the life of me (and i have tried) I can not get my brother interested in Civil War Reenacting/Living History etc. We have discussed many times why (and we have actually fought about it like brothers normally do..i think once he referred to me like equivalent to living history "drug pusher") He just doesnt see the relevance of being involved with the civil war living history scene... alot of it has to do with the "well what would i be....a slave???"... call it ignorance call it what you will. I can see where my brother gets that idea from, the education system of our country doesnt help much, and the serious lack of people country wide to address the issues from the civil war that we still face is lacking. when i was living with my family i ended up switching from doing a confederate impression to a federal one because the uniform made him feel uncomfortable... and our family fought for the south during the Civil War

On the other hand he just doesn't see how this would be interesting or fun, he'd rather spend money on modern clothing and spend his times doing modern things....... we both grew up in the same house so how one of us has the history bug and the other doesnt i'll never know. ..mabye he never got it because he was trying to be his own man in his teen years instead of being a carbon copy of me..

We have a strange and fascinating hobby, some people get it some people dont. With all the distractions of the modern world many people dont see the relevance of getting lost in the past.... there are enough issues on hand to keep people busy, Giving the other issues within the various racial communities of the United States finding the money and time to do something like this hobby is not economically feasible.

The African American community also finds different history appealing to them... In fact and i think i remember this from reading Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz.... and i paraphrase here... that that African American community would rather reenact their true victory, the Civil Right Era... The bridge at Selma, the the Freedom Riders... and events to that effect, and who can blame them, it took over 100 years for true freedom to come. Which is why i think my brother is interested more in that period of history..and which explains why when we go travelling and sightseeing we have to balance out our time... 1x Civil War site = 1x Civil Right site .....its simple math but in order to go to one the deal is you have to go to the other.

others would just rather forget the past ...but we cant let that happen

i havent given up on my brother yet..... if fact i think this thread has inspired me to give it another shot...... any suggestions on a new angle to try

The Nichols boys would be some serious hell raisers
    Jared Nichols

Liberty Rifles
    - The French Mess

Comment

Boy, there's a lot going on here. As an African American I have to chime in.

I would hope that the comment "not only the lucky people who have been born to goodly parents should be portrayed, but also those who weren't so lucky" doesn't mean to imply that your parents were less than good if they were slaves. A person's character cannot be measured by the system of oppression that he has been subjected to.

Now let's discuss reenacting from the African American perspective.
      I'll go out on a limb and say that for many if not most African Americans, the topic of slavery brings up a lot of negative emotions. Since the issue of slavery is at the root of the Civil War, many African Americans do not want to revisit this era. Personally, having read extensively about all aspects of slavery, I believe African Americans should revisit this era because there is a measure of strength that can be derived. For all that African Americans were subjected to, we had to have a tremendous amount of resolve, courage, perserverence, and stamina in order to survive. This, I believe should be celebrated.

My hat goes off to all who choose to portray slaves. I have portrayed various roles (USCT, teamster, cook for both armies) and I will tell you that it is extremely difficult making the transition from a modern perspective and totally embracing the attitudes, norms, and even the body language of someone who has been subjected to slavery. To portray a slave correctly, one must be prepared to totally submit to a different set of rules for verbal interactions as well as physical interactions. Additionally, and importantly, there has to be sincere trust between those involved in all scenarios where slavery is portrayed. In other words, if you were protraying a slave, you would not want to have to wonder about the true motives of others who are involved in the scenario as slave owners. To be sure, someone could easily abuse this trust or take advantage of the scenario simply for their egotistical or other reasons. The level of trust that I believe is truly required in order to portray these roles without fear and with total comfort would probably require years of truly knowing all of the players involved. Portraying a slave with those who you don't know well has to be done with caution and I believe is extremely risky. It's just too easy to come away from the situation with ill feelings.
      For all who would suggest that this should be easy to do, I say go to an event and portray a mulatto, quadroon, or octoroon who lappears to be a White person but has some percentage of Black ancestry. Let everyone at the event know that you are a slave and live, eat, dress, work, and subject yourselves as slaves for that weekend. Insist that you be treated as a slave for that weekend, then report back on this total immersion experience.

I am always amazed that there are so many who would support the portrayal of slaves at authentic events, but when the topic of USCTs comes up, the conversation (on this forum and in general) goes silent. I'd like to see all roles of African Americans portrayed, but I think if you are looking for an entry point into the hobby for Blacks, the roles of the USCT would be easiest because there is a good story to tell. By encouraging Blacks to become involved as USCT, you might get larger numbers of Blacks involved. Once involved, some may want to explore other roles in authentic settings (Confederate or civilian). I just think that it is unreasonable to think that Blacks would be interested in joining the ranks of authentics by first subjecting themselves to slave roles and without any discussion of USCT, whose service is probably considered to be much more honorable. I am interested in hearing other perspectives on how we can increase USCT participation in the authentic circles first.

Respectfully submitted.

George Hardy
      Independent
      Last edited by ElizabethClark; 05-11-2007, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Mr. Hardy, I can reassure you that Mrs. Trent was using the phrase in the sense of "being born into non-enslaved family", versus a desire to cast any aspersions on the parentage of citizens born in other circumstances. :)

You raise some good points (and I'll be going back into the thread to edit out modern political comments that distract from the discussion of accurate black American portrayals.) While the 20th century saw some major civil rights victories, the groundwork for equality was laid in the early and middle 19th century, through the wonderful accomplishments of free and enslaved blacks before, during, and after the war. Bringing those lives into respectful, accurate interpretation can only be beneficial to all who want to understand the later civil rights pushes.
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Re: Slave reenacting? and Curious question in the midst

I've asked this question in varied discussions about slavery, both written and verbal, on many levels including collegiate and never had a real objection posed to it, so i share it with you all.

"Am I not the ultimate racist if I say, I wished slavery never had existed ? Wouldn't I be implying that I wish blacks weren't here ? How can I say that I wish it had never existed and be comfortable with that ? Were it not for slavery we (United States) would've never had the wonderful contributions to our society and culture that the black race brought to this continent."

While I am not a proponent of slavery, nor can I find that any of my Confederate ancestors owned slaves, I am inclined to look for the good in the midst of the bad. I believe that slavery wasn't well thought of among the poor whites of the period, simply because slavery competed with the poor whites for jobs. I cite the court house in Vicksburg, Ms as an example, which was built by a construction company that owned slaves ! Guess what, these slaves weren't picking cotton they were carpenters, engineers, masons, and laborers. The jobs and duties of slaves are far more varied than we can appreciate...picking cotton for the blacks and whipping them for the whites was not the order of the day as many would have our modern culture believe, not to imply that brutality didn't exist.

I share this opinion knowing full well that this may cause some to swell up and think My GOD this guy is Klukking all over this forum. Please know that is as far from the truth as the North is from the South. I share this opinion because as George say's in his post above, "it should be celebrated".

In short, I would welcome and embrace blacks to this hobby/passion to reenact the period we are all so interested in. And I challenge my fellow reenactors both black and white to study this particular impression's qualities as intently as all other aspects of the period.

Respectfully,
          Dennis Neal
          "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
          David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
          Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
          [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
          J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Re: Slave reenacting? and Curious question in the midst

Only the truth can truly honor our ancestors. When we try to gloss over unpleasant episodes in history, we diminish the achievements of those who rose above everything that was thrown at them.

Look at the sanitized and very brief biographies of famous African-Americans in elementary textbooks. Sojourner Truth and Harriet Tubman were not talked into rescues by white abolitionists. They knew the job, the risks and the consequences if they were caught, and they went. The books occasionally mention how Frederick Douglas claimed to have stolen his education, but they don't like to admit he was physically tougher than the slave breaker sent to "tame" him. Martin Delany was...shall we say...opinionated on the subject of race relations. When he and Douglass were co-editors, I'd love to have a fly on the wall view of the North Star offices the day the Emancipation Proclamation came out. If we're going to celebrate these people, we need to celebrate their whole lives and make them real to those who need to know.

I am an absolute American mutt and could easily portray either a Cherokee slave or an octoroon. Would I do so, were I physically able? Sure! Some of my ancestors were Underground Railroad conductors, and some of them were riders. They were all a rough bunch of customers, suitable for the job of liberating not only a race, but a country, and I'm grateful for them all.
            Becky Morgan

Comment

Nicely put, Miss Morgan.
              Paul Hadley
              Paul Hadley

Comment

Should the United States never have accepted chattel slavery, I do think we'd still have had the excellent influences and accomplishments of black Americans--free blacks maintained their lives and businesses against all odds from before the foundation of the nation.

It is very instructive to study the entire history of the slave trades, from early colonialism, through the founding of the US, Wilberforce and the end of the slave trade for Britain, and into the abolishment of chattel slavery in the young republic, as well as the lives of individuals involved (on all sides) in the "Peculiar Institution."

Until a spectator gets to interact with a carefully, accurately, respectfully portrayed impression by a black living history enthusiast, they may never really look at the past with a human face. Being able to watch and/or interact with someone like Anita or Emmanuel or the others who've posted in this thread immediately puts a face on "academic" ideas. Yes, it's challenging--the the impressionist AND the spectator AND other participants. But it really points out the educational responsibility and role of living history. This isn't "yahoo camping." :)
                Regards,
                Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Originally posted by nick19thind View Post
                  Slave reenacting would be inappropriate and offensive.
                  I do not agree with this statement BECAUSE it is representing an historical fact. And there are many facts we are not proud of but they are facts never the less. Even Mrs. US Grant owned slaves past the start of the war and Grant himself owned at least one into the early part of the war.

I can see however because of massive mis-information on the subject and the feelings of some modern individuals where the portrayal is VIEWED as inappropriate and offensive.

I remember seeing a special on a historical site in Africa that happened to be a slave camp closed in 1906(!). The local guides were amused that when Americans came to visit the camp they had expectations of seeing a display of how the whiteman had oppressed and enslaved the Africans.

They all left shocked and dismayed by the display which showed the history of Africans enslaving other Africans and selling to all buyers.

A properly done portrayal of what the slaves went through during the civil war and the support (willingly or unwillingly) they provided to both sides could go a long way to correcting the pc version of history.

However I'm not sure the mass audience is ready for this.

We did have a reenactor want to join our unit from a mixed marriage. His wife was interested in doing a civilian impression, potentially a slave or run-away slave. We weren't sure how we'd fit it in (being a Union unit) but we didn't veto the idea, we just wanted her to develop the idea a little more.

We did have some unit members who were uncomfortable with the idea but they agreed to take a wait and see attitude.

Her African-American friends were highly indignant about the whole thought process until she just dropped it to make her social life easier.
                  Last edited by Bob 125th NYSVI; 05-11-2007, 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling
                  Bob Sandusky
                  Co C 125th NYSVI
                  Esperance, NY

Comment

I would hope that the comment "not only the lucky people who have been born to goodly parents should be portrayed, but also those who weren't so lucky" doesn't mean to imply that your parents were less than good if they were slaves.
                    Absolutely not, and I’d like to apologize that my comments could be taken to mean that. What I meant was goodly as in “sizable fortunes,” not in the ability to nurture or raise their children, but I can see how my words could be misconstrued, and I apologize for that.

There are a lot of reenactors out there who tend to believe that we should only portray those who were healthy, wore silks or broadcloth, followed etiquette books to the nth degree… and if we venture down any other avenue -- they find that to be offensive.

By “those not so lucky” I was referring to the poor white trash, those with illnesses, those who broke social laws… they all have the right to be portrayed (and without them, there’s an imbalance in this history lesson). And yes, there is a fine line to portraying sensitive subjects as they can turn into something less than desirable. The difference between productive and offensive comes from a combination of extensive research and empathy. The research gives you the basic facts, while the empathy allows you to take those facts and walk a mile in their shoes, and see through their eyes and understand who they are and why they felt the way they did. This leads to a greater understanding both for the presenter and to those to whom the presenter presents. :-)

Originally posted by Bob 125th NYSVI View Post
                    I do not agree with this statement BECAUSE it is representing an historical fact. And there are many facts we are not proud of but they are facts never the less.
                    Thanks Bob, I couldn't have said that better myself. :wink_smil

Linda
                    Linda Trent
                    [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
                    It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

This is one of the best threads I've ever read anywhere. One of our daughters is African-American, and has reenacted with us several times. Now, since she's a child of single-digit age, her version of an impression is kind of "history lite." Her impression is based on a runaway. Blanket roll, gourd water bottle and a sack of belongings. She wore my older daughter's dresses, the last of which had a nicely faded look about it. She's had fun hanging around camp and we treat her like a "mascot," if you will.
                      The subject of the USCTs is difficult. We're recruiting a company in our area and finding the same ambivalence to the Civil War among African-Americans that Tony Horowitz encountered. In addition, I have heard noised about a couple time some variation on "That's great, but except for late war scenarios, what events could they attend?" Kind of illustrates the shallowness of our own scenario-design. I can understand why the few USCT units that do exist run their own circuit of demos and living history events. The unpleasant taste of "separate but equal" lies long on the palate.
                      Rob Weaver
                      Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                      "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                      [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

This is one INTERESTING topic! I don't know exactly where I fall on the question, except to say "Slaves existed. Their history is an inextricable strand of America's story. Ignoring it or sugar-coating it doesn't mean we get to take a trip in the Way Back Machine and make it all go away."

That being said, I have to admit that I wonder how an African-American reenactor or spectator might feel about some of the things I have seen at reenactments. Not from fellow reenactors, I hasten to say, but present regardless.

My particular case is an outside vendor/presentor that I have seen set up at some Florida reenactments. His displays are, not to put too fine a point on it, about a half-step above a cross-burning.

I am as white as Cremora, but I was appalled by what I saw. I cannot even guess how a black reenactor might feel.
                        Andrew Batten

Comment

THis is an Amazing thread!

Down here, there were at one time a couple that did a contraband impression that was really good, at least from where I stood. My wife was at a talk they gave and according to her, they were VERY knowledgeable, and gave a very good talk. They also drove our
                          Sgt Maj speechless, but thats another story for another time.

I think that the subject of Slavery, Contrabands, USCT, and free men of color IS important, and should be interpreted, be it at and EBUFU or other event. It is central to the time frame.

My hat is off to Emmanuel and Anita, who I wish I had the chance to meet, and to all other African-American reenactors who keep the heritage alive, and not gloss over it. Cheers!
                          Robert W. Hughes
                          Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                          Thrasher Mess
                          Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                          ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                          Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                          And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

I was following some links from place to place today, and I happened to encounter something I found interesting:

Blogger ist ein Veröffentlichungs-Tool von Google, mit dem du ganz einfach deine Gedanken der Welt mitteilen kannst. Mit Blogger kannst du problemlos Texte, Fotos und Videos in deinem persönlichen Blog oder deinem Team-Blog veröffentlichen.

I noticed that there was no link to it on this thread, so I decided to post it. Also, ever since I am writing a history of Civil War reenacting, I think it is very important that I cover this part of reenacting. I invite anyone who has posted on this thread (or anyone in general) on the topic of african american reenacting and reenacting various parts of slavery to please pm me. I would like to interview you for my project.
                            David Fictum,
                            Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
                            recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Comment

Just prior to Christmas, Noah, Lindsey Koch and I were privileged to interact with Emmanuel, Anita, and two other African Americans to recreate the Christmas of 1858 at Appomattox Plantation (City Point). Emmanuel drew extensively upon Richard Eppes' diary and other primary source material in order to recreate this event.

The people coming through saw a much fuller representation of the intertwining of the lives of the white family and the slaves on the plantation in the various discussions and questions and answers that were given, all in first person.

I'll quote from a portion of Noah's AAR:

I prepared myself to justify the slavery by reading up on DeBow's Review and Southern Literary Messenger. Both publications seem to split their writings between "managing your crops" and "managing your Negroes". The visitors were told from the first that this would be first-person and that basically we did not necessarily endorse what our characters said. Group One asked away on a variety of topics; Groups Two and Three seemed reluctant to do so, and our guide, Nancy Koch, had to ask us questions to get them warmed up. I don't think they were ready to deal with such a high-octane tour. As you can see from the photos, the clothing was better quality, we were playing documented board games and otherwise shooting the breeze in character. This was not your average Snoozy-Snood Fest. I think they knew that instinctively and were afraid to approach us simply because they were not sure what to ask. Most of the questions revolved around Christmas traditions, in an effort to connect themselves with something they were familiar. The full impact of the tour hit home with Em and Anita in the kitchen, discussing the Christmas suppers and party plans from their perspective (aka loads more work and longer hours than usual.)

I have not read his diaries in extreme detail so I don't know exactly how common whippings were. It's possible that the overseers on other parts of the properties may have administered their own beatings "off the record", but don't quote me on that. That's a low percentage rate, though - one slave known whipped, out of a total of 109 hands.

The closest we got to a slavery justification discussion came from someone asking if we whipped our slaves. My answer was "Not normally. For one thing it's a detriment to morale. Number two, it depreciates the value of the hand/house-staff/person/nigra if they should be resold for any reason. There was one incident when Susan Slaughter [the cook, played in the kitchen structure by Anitia Henderson] refused to do any work. She was whipped for her insubordination - once."

And from Emmanuels AAR

I will say that Eppes and the slaves on his estate lived in a way that was give and take; take and give. There were certain slaves who were never whipped and overseers who did so were severely chastised. There were other slaves, like Bins, who were frequently in trouble and was whipped, locked in the dairy, etc. Bins was a problem to the master and his friends as he showed up to work late, left jobs unfinished, insulted Eppes' friends, etc. On the same token he stole another slave's pants and another's food. He threatened the slave whose food he stole with a pitchfork.

The character in which I portrayed was whipped once as well in 1852 when he failed to bring Dr. Eppes milk with his coffee. However, on the same token when George Bolling became mentally ill in 1860 Eppes spared men from the plantation to sit with him and ensure he was taken care of; though he did consdier sending George to the Eastern State Insane Asylum in Williamsburg.

Eppes noted one time he was "exhausted" from whipping some slaves. He whipped several children as he thought they were stealing fruit. At times other slaves would whip other slaves; most of the time overseers would discipline slaves.

However, all that being said Richard Eppes provided ways in which slaves could earn money like cutting wood for his household's use. He allowed some slaves to work along the wharves. Madison Ruffin and Sandy frequently left the plantation to visit family and run errands as far away as Smithfield, Virginia and Richmond, Virginia. Frequently they would take advantage of their position as domestic servants to stay away an extra day and no punishment was delivered.

The visitors left the cook and house servants and went to visit with two of the field hands who gave an even different perspective on things.

I have the privilege of doing living histories with Anita and Emmanuel fairly often, and am grateful for the truthful aspect they bring to things.

Colleen
                              [FONT=FranklinGothicMedium][color=darkslategray][size=1]Colleen Formby
                              [URL=www.agsas.org]AGSAS[/URL]
                              [URL]www.geocities.com/col90/civilwar.html[/URL] [/font][/color][/size][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X