Raincoat/talma????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raincoat/talma????

I'm looking for vendors making raincoats or talmas. The only one I've found with a product listing on his site is Jarnagin. I know Don Smith of TMD will make one.

Does anyone else make a raincoat?

Just trying to shop around and finding few options for this product.

thanks,
    Joe Smotherman

Re: Raincoat/talma????

Well, the Blockade Runner does one too just to let you know. I have a Jarnagin one that I am pretty happy with, but I do alot more pre-civil war stuff and I don't think its quite right after looking at the latest research...if Don Smith will make one it will be worth every penny and I think that is your best option. Don is good and if you have a particular documented style or such (as there were several) he can probably work with you. I have learned it is always worth the extra time and money to get exactly what you want from a quality source!

Chris Fischer
    F-Troop

Comment

Chris,

The BR no longer carries the product. They used to have one on a dummy by the front door, but I think Jerry got tired of standing there. ;) (Ba-doom-chink!)

Don is the first person I contacted. It is not a cheap garment for the limited use it will get. I'm just seeing what else if available before I start auctioning internal organs to raise the cash.
      Joe Smotherman

Comment

HI All,

-Chris , thank you for the kind words regarding my custom work, I sincerely appreciate it.

-Joe, I am working on another pattern that may be a little better on the price of the Talma / Rain coat.

The main issue & time involved is not the sewing of the garment , its the treatment of the cloth coating to make it water proof, flexable and period. Since not all period recipe paints and coatings are the same, or are ment for the same thing.

If the brushed on coating of the cloth is too stiff, It's like wearing a steel trash can as a coat, If its too thin you get wet. Trick is to hit that happy medium of flexibility, and consistent coverage.

The rubber Jarnigan coat is a good one. I have had folks purchase one and then have it sent to me to do the button holes and add buttons & other odds and ends to it to get it to their likeing. This is a good option cost wise. Besides, the Jarnigan coat has a rubber coating as opposed to the painted coating.

Attached are some pics of a Talma I made for Dave Bushmole, It is of period painted cloth and features pockets that have an opening to be able to reach into ones coat or trouser pockets with out opening the talma.

Don S
        Attached Files
        Don F Smith

Comment

Don,

Let me know about the new version. I'm looking for something before Bummers. This would be my groundcloth for the impression we've discussed.

I got my pencil sharpener. :D
          Joe Smotherman

Comment

Hi Joe,

Will do, The cost of the new version I am working on is around $250 & is a little simpler ( It has patch pockets on the exterior of the coat & 4 button front).

Cool deal on the pencil sharpener! Do you have pics of it?

I have completed my sketchbook satchel for drawign in the filed.

Don
            Don F Smith

Comment

Don,

PM sent.
              Joe Smotherman

Comment

Joe, better get two of those. I have a birthday coming up.
                Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Actually, I have a birthday next month and I'm hoping it will be MY present!

Stand in line,
                  Joe Smotherman

Comment

Great, now I need one.
                    Brian White
                    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Don,
                      When I saw that coat I first thought was "He is Duncan McLaud,the Highlander".But From what I see,it looks great for our period or could work for some modern stuff,especially if you dress more gothic.
                      Just my .02 cents.
                      Cullen Smith
                      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

I thought I would mention that when I called Jarnagin to ask how the sizes ran, Carolyn told me that they have zero talmas in stock right now, they are not on the production schedule and they don't have the fabric in stock to make them and don't know when they are getting any.

Don Smith is the only game in town!
                        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Did Don say $250....what he meant was $450.
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

Hi All,

Nope Pat, I did mention $250,
                            that is for a more simple pattern that has patch pockets on the exterior, Also only the major stress seams are felled.

The $350 one is the one I posted pics of, with all the seams felled, and the interior pockets that also access into into a fellows trouser pockets, when the coat is fully buttoned up.

If you would like a $450 version :wink_smil, ...I can always find a version that has more "bells and whistles" than a locomotive

As tempting as it is to raise the price since it seams I am the only one making this coat on the market.

I won't raise the price, unless paint ingredients go up in price (which they haven't recently), & even then it would only go up about $10-$20 at the very most.

Fellas, feel free to contact me for details on the Rain Coats/Talma. I am happy to answer any questions.

All the best

Don S
                            Don F Smith

Comment

Just an update ...

as mentioned in the Bummers thread, I got my raincoat from Don over the last weekend. This thing is the shiznit! I may wear it even if it doesn't rain. I've already worn it out in the yard during the rain to see how it repelled water.

I'm set!

Thanks, Don!

And thanks for putting up with my pestering little emails ...

Joe
                              Joe Smotherman

Comment

Working...
                              X