An interesting parallel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting parallel

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Modern Day Servicemen forum. Feel free to move.

I was reading National Guard magazine, and found a table listing, by state, the number of Air Guardsmen who had been mobilized since 9/11. The top three states that furnished men were New York, 14,029; Ohio, 13,090; Pennsylvania, 11,505. The next state that came closest to the top three was Illinois with 9,219.

This made me think about the relative sizes of the state cemetery areas at Gettysburg cemetery and sent me to Dyers Compendium to make a comparison. Guess what – the states that furnished the most soldiers in the CW were exactly the same. In the CW, New York sent 448,850; Ohio, 313,180; Pennsylvania, 337,936; and Illinois 259,092.

The 2000 census population rankings of the states lists them is this order (#1 is the most populous):
    1. California
    2. Texas
    3. New York
    4. Florida
    5. Illinois
    6. Pennsylvania
    7. Ohio

Except for New York, IL, PA and OH hold down positions 5, 6, & 7 for total population.

So, what explains this? Is there a stronger feeling of patriotism in the big 3? A greater sense of volunteerism? Dedication to community? I have no answers, just questions.

Ron Myzie

Re: An interesting parallel

Originally posted by ephraim_zook View Post
    So, what explains this? Is there a stronger feeling of patriotism in the big 3? A greater sense of volunteerism? Dedication to community? I have no answers, just questions.
    Ron,

Having been a Serviceman during a good portion of the Global War on Terror, I would say those reasons you identified are somewhere in the personal reasons each serviceman has for signing up. I don't know anyone who has signed up for military service only for financial gain.

I would suggest that in the case of the Guard and Reserve, the part-time service is a means for many to get a significant addition to their monthly budget. While I was in college and serving as a Marine Reservist my reserve pay paid for my auto insurance and gas which was a significant amount of funds to an under 25 male in New York in the early 1990's. I also had the G.I. Bill benefit which I used to cover my rent and books.

This financial reason makes it worth it for many individuals to be Guardsman and Reservists to serve their country. I would say NY, PA and OH each have difficult economies and service in the Guard or Reserve helps make ends meet for many of the common Soldiers and Airmen.

So, the benefits of service and the poor economy makes it more lucrative in those states to serve in the Guard and Reserve which translates to more mobilized servicemen when the requirements are identified by the DoD.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Considering you are talking about the mobilization of Air National Guardsmen, I would imagine that it has something to do with what units are in those states that lead to their than proportion call ups. The most called up guard units across to board are supply and support units, military police, engineer units, etc, not combat units. That probably has something to do with it. Then again, looking back on the war, Iowa and Michigan were the two states that contributed the most per capita of any states and they were the two that lost the most per capita.
      Andrew Roscoe,
      The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
      24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

I would suggest using the Army Guard as a comparison rather than the Air Guard. The Army Guard makes up the majority of Guardsmen and with its type units it would be a closer parallel than the Air Guard.
        Jim Kindred

Comment

We would just discover that the Delaware Army National Guard was top notch all around in all areas....

Cuma di situs permainan online KATSU5 kamu bisa hasilkan uang jutaan secara mudah! Kamu bisa kaya dengan hanya main game, daftar link resmi Katsu5 sekarang.
          Breandan Mackie

Comment

Originally posted by MPDoughBoy153 View Post
            We would just discover that the Delaware Army National Guard was top notch all around in all areas....

www.delawarenationalguard.com
            If you go to any state's National Guard website you will find out they are all "top notch". :) You will not find any that will admit to being otherwise.
            Jim Kindred

Comment

Thanks, folks, for your replies. I landed on the air guard because those were the statistics I had in hand from the magazine. I'll pursue it further, though, as time permits and report back my findings.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Working...
              X