Soldiers vs. Sailors/Marines Boat Landing LH Ft. Sumter Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soldiers vs. Sailors/Marines Boat Landing LH Ft. Sumter Inquiry

This could be fun. As a Navy vet myself and with an ancestor that severed in the CS Navy I have been looking for a chance and reason to put together a Naval impression.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Fireballs & Hand Grenades NBA 2013

Here is some more OR Information, Series I, Vol. 28, Part 1, page 724-728:
      S. C. AND GA. COASTS, AND IN MID. AND E. FLA. [CHAP. XL. [enclosure No. 2.J Received,
      Charleston, S. C., September 11, 1868,
      from Sergt. A. C. Colson, Company D, Charleston Battalion, the following ordnance and ordnance stores, & c.
      Muskets .. 28
      Pistols ......2
      Bayonets Bayonet scabbards ..2
      Cartridge-boxes Cap-boxes 0
      Waist-belts ....7
      Straps... 12
      Cutlasses Sword 1

C. C. PICKNEY, Captain, and Achng Ordnance Officer.
      ADDENDA. HDQRS. DEPT. SOUTH CAROLINA, GEORGIA, AND FLORIDA,

Charleston, S. C., September 9, 1863.
      Maj. STEPHEN ELLIOTT, Jr., Comdg., & c.,
      Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor, S. C.

MAJOR:

The general commanding directs me to compliment you and your garrison on the brilliant success of this morning. He hopes that all future attempts of the enemy to take Sumter will meet with the same result. The general will endeavor to have the prisoners removed in the course of the day or to-night. Should the enemy meanwhile bombard Sumter, and you have not enough cover for your command, you will expose the prisoners, instead of your troops, to the enemy's fire.

Very respectfully,
      your obedient servant,
      A. N. TOUTANT BEAUREGARD,
      Aide-dc-Camp. SEPTEMBER 13-14, 1863

Page 727:

Captured papers would indicate it to have been 870. His ascertained loss was 6 killed, 15 wounded, and 106 prisoners, of whom 11 were officers. We captured also five barges, five stand of colors (among them a flag, said by the prisoners to be the flag borne from the fort by Maj. Robert Anderson in 1861), and a small quantity of arms and accouterments. Most of the latter were thrown overboard by the prisoners and lost. Several boats drifted off with dead and wounded men. The action was brief and decisive, as they found us prepared, and were themselves surprised at meeting more than a nominal resistance. The Charleston Battalion fully sustained its well-earned reputation by cheerfully enduring the hardships of their position and moving forward with energy in the moment of danger. All the officers performed their duties well.
      STEPHEN ELLIOTT, JR.,
      Major, Commanding.

We have this set on our upcoming events and we will set in motion the necessary proposal. It's too far out to get approval, but I believe the NPS would appreciate this event. Navy Boat Attack 2013!
      Gregory Deese
      Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
      "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Trippcor,
        Careful about joining us on the dark side. You'll have to learn knots, cutlass, battle ax, musket, bayonet, pistol, pike and the guns (artillery) and you'll need to know the silent drill for guns. And there is the uniforms for temperate and cold condition as was we were always close to home (on the boat or in the barracks at the yard) in various parts of the world. If it don't fit in you seabag you don't need it.
        But you'll get to see a lot, the Mississippi, Great Lakes, Mobile Bay, Galveston Bay, all of the Florida coast, Charleston, Cheasapeake Bay, James River, Philadelphia (filthydelphia), Boston, Mare Island, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, many more Caribean Islands, Venezuela, Brazil, Canary Islands, Spain, the coast of France, Japan and China.
        All this for $13/mo, $1.50 for sea duty, -$2 for uniform allotment, share of the prize money, (Marines are 4 year enlistment) and yellow fever, malaria and scurvey thrown in to keep things exciting.

Mike Stein
        Last edited by Marine Mike; 07-23-2009, 10:07 AM. Reason: sometimes I substitute a word thats close for the one I need.
        Mike Stein
        Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

The NPS has the implements needed for silent gun drill (Seacoast), and there is one mountain howitzer on Ft. Sumter. However, I believe since the Navy is portraying POWs, the Charleston Battalion will have the gun-drill (18th SC Heavy Artillery "Seige Train". Nevertheless, it's a good thing to know for your impression.

Am I wrong Greg? Will the Navy be interacting other than the POW status, or will there be other scenarios involved?
          [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
          -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Ft. Sumter, 6 Sept '63 was bad news for the federals. Most of the role after struggling to get to the beach for the few that make it will be dodging bullets, grenades and turpentine pots, getting shot, dying, surrendering or both.

Mike Stein
            Mike Stein
            Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

found a couple more neat phtos

[IMG][/IMG]

USS Galena 1862

U.S.S. Onondaga 1864
              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Here are some sailors that I cropped from uncompressed tiff images I downloaded from the Library of Congress' Prints & Photographs Online Catalog.

The first three images are of sailors on board the USS Monitor. I love the un-tucked frock that the first man is wearing. The second man playing checkers looks like he's wearing only a dark blue undershirt; notice the half sleeves and lack of collar. He is also wearing a narrow waist belt, something I've noticed in the larger images (they appear to be roller buckle and prong buckle belts). The third man in the oilcloth engineer's cap looks to be wearing trousers with a faint stripe pattern...it's barely noticeable here but if you zoom in you might be able to see it.

The final image are sailors from the USS Pawnee. The hunched forward man appears to be a petty officer if I'm not mistaken. The man to the right has what I'd guess is a pin-wheel pattern cap cover. Note the fly-front mule-ear pocket trousers and the grapeshot lined up to the left.

Also very neat to me is how orderly and clean everything is. A lot of wood surfaces appear to be scrubbed so clean that they look bleached while others look like they've been whitewashed. Guns and metal such as chains, gears, and screws all shine. Not unexpected since these guys had to constantly clean and take care of their ships, but very cool when I noticed it up close.

And finally....I see that the Navy blues in EoG belong mostly to the Stamatelos brothers. I understand that they broke up their collection some time ago, but I am not 100% certain of this. Are there any other surviving originals that I may be able to view in person, maybe in public museums? I'm really getting into this now!
                Brian White
                [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Steve Hesson can pipe in more on this, since he's seen more original frocks than anyone I know, but the only one I've seen up close is a summer frock of white linen (conforming closer to 1830's-40's standards but with CW provenance) at the Bardstown CW Museum. I don't recall off the top of my head if Port Columbus even has any on display.
                  Ross L. Lamoreaux
                  rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Here are some more Navy and Marine photos to reference. I hope these help people build quality impressions for this event. If they are not needed I apologize for wasting everyones time...

]

Six marines with fixed bayonets at the Navy Yard. It was made in 1864

Signalmen of Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren's flagship receiving a message from the Georgia shore

a powder monkey

Civil War Sailor on U.S.S. New Hampshire. It was taken in 1864
                    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I've seen that image of the powder monkey a million times, but just now was the first time that I noticed the cutlasses on the wall behind him. Good stuff!

Will MacDonald

Comment

Pete,

Good history is never a waste of time.

Greg and I talked about this on Wednesday, there is a good deal of work to do, but we also have nearly four years to do it. I'll be looking forward to working with all of you to build a good event.

There was a question floated about whether the Sailors and Marines would be armed. The intention is yes, but the event is going to focus on them being prisoners so the weapons will most likely be on display. Although that is just the idea at this point.
                        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
                          Pete,

Good history is never a waste of time.
                          Thanks Pete...These photos are fairly easy to find, I am sure the guys have seen them all before. I would like to see some more of the obscure photos that are out there..... I would like to build an impression for this event as my Father is a Navy veteran, I will have to get Ross to hook me up with a kit:D
                          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Yeah Pete, I know someone who could knock out some Navy stuff for you....
                            As for the photos above, they are pretty common, but keep it up, except for the top studio shot, as those I believe are Russian sailors, judging by the cyrillic cap tallies.
                            Ross L. Lamoreaux
                            rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Originally posted by Ross L. Lamoreaux View Post
                              Yeah Pete, I know someone who could knock out some Navy stuff for you....
                              As for the photos above, they are pretty common, but keep it up, except for the top studio shot, as those I believe are Russian sailors, judging by the cyrillic cap tallies.
                              You know I did wonder about that one as well because I could not find a reference for it and It looked different from the others.

I love the last line of this recruiting poster. " All those who prefer active service and fresh beef to midnight watches and salt junk are invited to join"
                              Sounds good to me already!!!
                              Last edited by PetePaolillo; 07-23-2009, 09:49 PM.
                              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

A lot of wood surfaces appear to be scrubbed so clean that they look bleached while others look like they've been whitewashed. Guns and metal such as chains, gears, and screws all shine. Not unexpected since these guys had to constantly clean and take care of their ships, but very cool when I noticed it up close.

The method of cleaning the wooden decks was know as "holystoning" and was very common, even on the steamers outfitted as river gunboats. It involved using a sanding stone, sometimes on a stick. All metal was expected to be polished and cleaned due to the amount of salt in the air the ships equipment and arms were exposed to. You'll need to due the same to your arms and equipment during and after this event due to the locale.
                                [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
                                -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                X