Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississippi Rifles

Mods,

I apologize ahead of time if this post is in the wrong place, or simply out of the normal period for these discussions.

But, I am wondering if anyone knows of some really good reference on Davis' Mississippi Rifle regiment during the War with Mexico; accounts, uniforms, etc. I'm thinking it would be a fine thing to one day put this impression together.

-Sam Dolan
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: Mississippi Rifles

A good person to ask about this would be Robert Serio at Missouri Boot and Shoe. He is very knowlegable about Davis' regiment. He had a direct ancestor who was in the regiment.
    Matthew S. Laird
    [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
    Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
    [/COLOR]
    [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Ron Field's book "Mexican American War" published by Brassey's in 1998 includes a color reproduction of Pvt. Sam Chamberlain, 1st US Dragoons, paining of Davis' regiment at Buena Vista. Chamberlain was a veteran of the battle. He shows them in black hats, red shirts worn like smocks, and white pants. They are wearing their rifle cartridge boxes on white waist belts. in another panoramic painting of the battle by Chamberlain, they are visible in the background with the red shirts and white pants.
      James "Archie" Marshall
      The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
      Tampa, FL

Comment

I read something about them in the book "The Training Ground", sorry can't remember the author's name. However, it did mention what the men were equiped with before they left New Orleans.

Regards,
        Garrett Glover
        Garrett Glover

Comment

Working...
        X