42 Springfields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 Springfields

Opinion...is a 42 Springfield more suceptible to overnight moisture than other rifles.

It just seems like the inside of the bore is always moist after an overnight temp change. If I don't pop a cap or two before pouring powder, seems like the powder moistens, and won't fire until 4 or 5 caps are gone through. Once it fires, fine after that...dries out I guess.

Not so with my other rifles...and I haven't noticed too many folks at some events where I had had an issue having the same problem with Enfileds and 61 Springfields.

What steps do you take to ensure that you rifles go boom first time after an overnight temperature change...especially with barrell sweating involved?

What can be done if popping a cap is not possible, say at a tactical event?
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Re: 42 Springfields

Galen,
    If I have the time and material, I try to wipe the bore once or twice with a saltpork grease soaked patch before I bed down. A thin coat of "oil" will help keep the moisure away form the metal. I've never had a problem with my .69 cal. A dry patch before firing may also help.
    Mark Taylor

Comment

From a letter written by Sgt John Beaton of the 9th Va.

"We have had rain every day since we have been here. I have not been dry in a month. My musket, my only friend, I have to keep dry consequently that gets the largest share of my blanket."
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I am wondering if pluggin the barrell at night would help. I know metal sweats in moist humid environments, especially if the temp changes.

I believe swabbing with a dry patch, and popping a few caps will stop any issues. I just have to force myself to ensure it is done.
        Galen Wagner
        Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

I've had the same problem with my '42 a couple of times, but never my Enfield. At least now I know I'm not alone with this happening. Yep, a good wipe with a dry patch always solves the problem, but ya gotta remember to do it.
          Seems too, that the '42 is harder to get clean than the Enfield. One of my pards who also has a '42 says the same thing.
          Lee Ragan

Comment

Maybe it is because the chamber is the size of a mason jar!!
            Galen Wagner
            Mobile, AL

Comment

I'd recommend not using "salt pork grease" in a gunbore, if one is being literal. Salty grease would seem to be a specific to promote corrosion. One wonders: is this problem perhaps more of the replica manufacture than of the underlining design?
              David Fox

Comment

Not sure David. Both times this happened to me, upon sticking my pinky finger in the bore...it came out moist, and fleck of black powder that stuck to the sides of the bore from moisture.

I am just wondering why it happened to me, with a 42 and not tohers at the same event...is it just that the size of the barrell allows for more moisture.
                Galen Wagner
                Mobile, AL

Comment

I feel like the know-it-all present when Lincoln was personally testing Spencer's repeater in '61. The fellow opined a really good rifle recoiled forward when fired. With the same cheerful expertise, I'd swan the larger the bore diameter, the more readily moisture would equalize with the tube's surroundings, and thus a .69 would be less likely to have bore condensation than a .54 or .58.
                  David Fox

Comment

Interesting. So why then would my rifle have been the only one out of 15 that was so moist that the powder didn't cook off? None of us popped caps.

There has got to be some variable.

But, it seems the solution to my problem might be to swab one dry patch, and pop a couple of caps. I'll post more after I see how it behaves after that.

The only two times I have had this same problem is after a 16 degree night with no humidity, and a 86 degree night that you could drink the air during.
                    Galen Wagner
                    Mobile, AL

Comment

If you are using the correct size worm, be very careful runing a dry patch through a previously fired musket...especially if you have moist powder stuck to the sides...you could easily get your rammer stuck doing this.

I have ran across the same thing....with my '61 I've tried using a Tampion...I can't really tell if it helps. Is there a possible difference caused by the rifling? Maybe both barrels are slightly damp, however, the powder poured into the smoothbore comes in contact with more surface area of the bore? Or maybe the rifling works like ventilation (same as a thermal shirt is thin but keeps you warm by creating little channels of air to circulate) and the rifled barrel sweats less?

For reenacting purposes you could always false load the first time....but this could kill the moment for you.

You might experiment with leaving the hammer closed on a spent cap or leaving the hammer on half cock and removing the spent cap. Removing the cap could allow for more ventilation.

Just my thoughts!
                      Luke Gilly
                      Breckinridge Greys
                      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I considered the dry patch issue, and though maybe moistening the patch with alcohol might help dry the moisture, and also prevent the patch from getting stuck.

I'll try a few things next few events and report back. Like I said, it has only happened twice.
                        Galen Wagner
                        Mobile, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
                          From a letter written by Sgt John Beaton of the 9th Va.

"We have had rain every day since we have been here. I have not been dry in a month. My musket, my only friend, I have to keep dry consequently that gets the largest share of my blanket."
                          This has been my general practice. I hate keeping my musket in a stack overnight because you know you'll have a rusty mess in the morning, unless it is dry, not humid, and there's a moderate temp... but that NEVER happens at a reenactment!
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I'll hazard a guess at the reason a '42 smoothbore condensates more than a rifled .58 cal.

I believe it is because the '42's wall thickness is thinner than that of a .58 cal rifled piece. Being thinner makes it more suseptable to the varying temps and forming condensation.
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                            Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                            Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

"...and a 86 degree night that you could drink the air during. "

Ah, the Deep South. I lived in Alabama for 29 years and when I retired, I moved back to my native Virginia, settling in the Blue Ridge mountains. Cooler, with much less humidity. :o
                              Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Working...
                              X