42 Springfields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42 Springfields

Drilling does solve the problem, though. Good news.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I don't mean to sound incompetent, but I thought that since water was moving and it was firing, that the channel was clear. I had no idea that the hole was that large, I thought it was the size of the cone hole, or smaller.:o

Thansk again for everyones help.
      Galen Wagner
      Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Hallo!

Welcome to the world of "coke" and coking, a rock-like substance left behind by repeatedly baked black powder residue that is not properly removed by cleaning.
        Like deposits in water lines, or plaque in arteries and veins, it slowly builds up decreasing the diameter of the vent and particular the flash channel through the bolster and barrel.

Many lads pride themselves on cleaning the vent of the cone by only running a pick or pipe cleaner through it or forcing water out of it, not realizing that without extra effort inside of the bolster and flash channel, they cannot clean more than the size of what will pass through the bottom of the cone's vent.

And yes, once coke/coking is formed, it can resist "normal" cleaning techniques.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Todd Watts has a good story about a (Springfield) musket that the owner put back dirty and left for a couple years then sent it to him to get the crud out. It was hardened to the consistency of concrete, of course, and was giving him fits. Most of us know of a similar story. I have purchased a musket or two (one from this forum) where the gun came in that condition. Easy to avoid and a lot of work to deal with when it happens.

I got a CS Richmond off the other forum for $200 + shipping, and the crud had hardened around the clean out screw so that the owner turned the head of the screw right off trying to remove it for cleaning. He just wanted to get rid of it. No need for that, Todd drilled it out, and replaced the screw. I rebuilt the lock and it is a nice piece now.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I actually called and congratulated the owner of the Springfield that was hardened solid for having the single filthiest repro-musket I had ever seen. When you think of the fouling you get from just 1 shot, multiplied by 30-40 per day, each shot baked at the temperature of the blast with the pressure hammering it in the breech against the walls with each shot, it is no wonder you end up with caked fouling the consistency of pottery. A cup of water for cleaning only wets it and allows it to dry again more like pottery unless it is thoroughly brushed or scraped away while wetted. Then, with the dried cake still in there, the next day you apply another 30-40 shots to it and probably again don't thoroughly clean it before putting it away for a couple of months before repeating the process. After a while, that cake simply moved past the vent so simply poking a tiny pick through it won't solve the problem.

I recently had a Euroarms Enfield come to me that had the vent drilled backwards from the factory. By that I mean it was sharply angled back so that the chanel slammed into the face of the breechplug. Water and air could flow through it but it was obviously very constricted. The owner said he'd had constant misfires since new, sometimes snapping dozens of caps to fire the charge off. I had to re-drill that one by getting the bit into the existing channel and then slowly angling the drill bit to cut the vent forward, leaving him with an oval-shaped vent, but one that will fire every time now. There was no other way to fix that one and for blank fire it is fine, but with live fire or heavy charges he may have some back-blast into the cone seat.

I'd suggest to anyone buying a gun at the store to remove the cone and view the vent, or inthe case of the '61 remove the clean-out screw and run a pipe cleaner or toothpcik through to make sure the vent is actually there and unobstructed. We can't do that mail-order of course, but that is soemthing any sutler or store ought to be happy to allow you to do.

Comment

Todd,

I pride myself in keeping my weapon clean...in the field and once home. I guess that is the Marine in me. I bought this gun used, and have fired less than 20 rds through it.

Having said that, I will never allow this thing to get this clogged again. I always run allot of water through mine, and will ensure that I use a correct size bit and clean that sucker out everytime I clean it if there is any fowling.

I just got back from the range with the rifle, I started with a 60 grain charge...fired fine...reduced to 40 grains fired fine...reduced to 20 grains...fired fine...nice little whhhhf and puff of smoke.

I think I like my 42 again. Now, to keep it like that.
              Galen Wagner
              Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

If it makes you feel any better....
                It is much easier to keep clean than to get clean the first time. Probably now, as long as you clean it after every use you won't have to drill... a little time, a pick, and a pipe cleaner will probably do it after a good sloshing from the muzzle like usual.
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Galen,

Glad that helped. Also when you have time please send me the info on the shelter half we discussed.
                  Jim Busby
                  Walton Guards
                  Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
                  Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
                  Co C 3rd US Inf
                  www.waltonguards.org

Comment

Working...
                  X