Gen. Jim Maupin Passed Away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen. Jim Maupin Passed Away.

(This is a reprint of the e-mail from Tony Zusman we recieved about the passing of Gen. Jim Maupin. He was a good friend and a wonderful soldier.)

Friends and Fellow Members of Longstreet’s Corps

One of the saddest duties of my position with Longstreet’s Corps is when I must address you with the information of the passing of one of our pards. Tonight, I am truly saddened that I must once again pass on news I never imagined, nor was prepared to forward to you.

This afternoon I received word that James “Jim” Maupin, Major General (Retired) passed from us on this day.

News of this type is never easy to pass along, especially when it concerns a friend and a person many looked up to as an officer and gentleman. It gets no easier that this is the second time I find myself speaking in the past tense of a good friend and a person who lead us gallantly into battle.

Jim was one of us. Unlike General Chuck Hillsman, whom most of us always knew as an officer, many of us saw Jim come up through the ranks. His entire reenacting career was spent as a member in the 44th Virginia Infantry. He quickly came up through the ranks and became their commander.

General Hillsman recognized the talents of Maupin early, problem was it was while seeing Jim and the 44th on the other side of the field portraying the 25th Ohio Infantry. Jim used his knowledge of the Corps’ tactics against us successfully almost every time we met on the field. This tactic would pay off later when, as commander of Longstreet’s Corps, he came across the Federal commanders he worked with in the past.

When General Hillsman passed the Corps looked to Jim to become our next commander. It was certainly a huge task to undertake. The sudden passing of a beloved commander, a hobby that was changing drastically and the expectations of the Mega Event organizers to have the Corps be the command and lead unit at their events. In Maupin’s first address to the Corps he said he felt his place in the history of the Corps was to be a “Bridge” between the old Corps and the future of our hobby and organization.

In his first year of command I recall two incidents that showed the reenacting community and especially the Federal’s that the new general was a capable commander. At the Battle of Williamsburg the Federals, under the command of General Dana Heim, decided to attack the Confederate camp while the Corps was off at drill. A Southern sympathizer tipped off the Corps and Maupin quickly, and clandestinely, moved the Corps to the trenches. When the Federal’s crested the works they quickly looked down and saw the entire Corps with gun barrels pointed right up at them. They were routed all the way back to their camp.

The following July saw us at Gettysburg. After suffering several battles where the Federals broke the scenario, Maupin swore they wouldn’t do it again. The plan called for the Federals to press then the Confederates would push them back a few hundred yards and the battle would end. The push began as planned but then the Federal countered with another push. Maupin ordered loudly, “Push them all the way back to Hell!” and he let the dog off the leash. The Corps pushed the Federals back to the starting point, beyond the staging area, through the spectator stands and into the parking lot. It was after this battle that Maupin received his moniker, Ol’ Whoop Ass.”

Maupin’s command marked unprecedented growth in the Corps. Units grew in number, the artillery branch became more defined and the make up of the Corps changed, especially in the infantry. The Corps often fielded two or more battalions at large or favorite events. The battalions gave company commanders the opportunity to step up and train for larger commands. It also gave junior officer the opportunity to step up within the companies and learn how to command. As a result you see today a successful transition of the officer corps inside our organization. Today’s leaders, from Corps command to company command were brought to us by Jim’s vision to have officers step up to these temporary commands.

Not every idea or event was a success but lessons were learned. Thus is the job of the “bridge.” Maupin’s bridge spanned the commands of Hillsman and Cornett. Along the way we grew and learned what worked, and what did not. We had our ups and downs but as a result we are a stronger organization for his leadership.

Jim left me with a lot of good memories and a lot of stories. There was a sense of humor that he and I shared that can best be explained as two guys trying constantly to get something over on the other guy. My first invitation received to 44th Virginia’s Capitol Ball gave directions to a hotel in Charlottesville. The ball was being held at the Jefferson in Richmond. I remember one cold night at Endview where we shared a tent and he brought a propane heater. In the middle of the night I threw a brogan at him to wake him up then faked like I was asleep. He did what I hoped and got up and changed the gas tank. Realizing what I had done to wake him, he then turned the heater on me and I awoke the next morning with a really bad artificial sunburn on one side of my face.

In July of 2007 Jim announced he was going on “furlough” for the second half of the season. The announcement was a surprise but a lot of things were changing in Jim’s life and I believe the spark was not there anymore. He returned to the 2008 Corps meeting where he was honored by his old command. As his last official act he oversaw the election of a new commander to lead the Corps into the future. The Bridge had been crossed.

I was surprised on day one of the big 145th Gettysburg when my cell phone rang and it was Jim. Fully a year removed from reenacting and I got a feeling he was missing things a little. I got him to admit he didn’t miss all the planning meetings but he did miss the boys very much. We passed the phone around the staff guys and he gave us all words of encouragement. His last words to me that day was a reminder of what General Hillsman told him when Jim took command for Hillsman’s last Gettysburg. “Remember, it’s only Gettysburg.”

Jim called me about two weeks ago and we spoke of old and new times. He announced that he was planning a temporary comeback. The “Old 44th” had decided to stage a reunion the week of Cedar Creek this year. The members expect to raise a company of former members and had asked Jim to command them as Captain. He was truly excited but cautioned, “don’t get your hopes up, this is a one time thing.” He was really looking forward to getting back in camp and sitting around the fire, drinkin’ and swappin lies. Sadly, it looks like now it will be our first opportunity to remember Jim as a full gathering of the Corps.

We never truly prepare for the passing of such friends and leaders as Jim. Much like Chuck Hillsman we blissfully went through our lives knowing they would always be there with us. Even as Jim stepped down as commander and faded away from reenacting he made the promise that we would see him again someday. perhaps on the sidelines. I like to think that two generations of Longstreet’s Corps now have their commander going ahead, making preparations for our last bivouac. Chuck prepared us to be gentlemen, Jim has prepared us for the next step. Let us not forget their lessons.

I have spoken with the family and arrangements will be forthcoming. I will forward news as I receive it.

YOS

Tony Zusman
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]Waverly B. Adcock[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]5th Va. Inf. Co. L[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff]West Augusta Guard[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff]"Muddy Turtle Mess"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=blue]"No unpleasant incident marred the proceedings of the day, save an occasional boisterous demonstration from a disciple of John Barleycorn." [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=blue]Republican Vindicator March 1, 1861[/COLOR]
    [IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g211/bigwave1969/wag-3.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Gen. Jim Maupin Passed Away.

I knew Jim well and received the news on Friday, very sad indeed. Jim will be deeply missed.
    Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

My condolences to the Maupin family,

Greg Starbuck
      The brave respect the brave. The brave
      Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
      That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
      And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

I remember serving in a detail as his HQ guards many times. He will be very much missed.
        Steven Flibotte
        Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
        Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
        Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Comment

Working...
        X