Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: who makes the best falsies?

Art,

If I may ask, how are they bound to your leg? Could you share a pick of that?

Many thanks!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Here's a detail of the following photograph:

CALL NUMBER
      LC-B817- 7224
      CREATED/PUBLISHED
      1864 March.
      Stevensburg, Va. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick, 3d Division, Cavalry Corps, with ladies and staff members on the porch of headquarters

Notice the gent on the right, viewer's left:

I originally thought he had "waterproofed" his trousers when I first noticed this years ago. But when you further examine the TIFF file for details, you'll note they also are leather leggings. These are different, though in that they are much looser than usual. They even follow the "flow" of the lower trouser leg, which is why I thought they were just waterproofed. Note the spur protrudes from under the loose legging, meaning its worn directly on the shoe. Also, the stirrup strap of the legging appears to be riveted in place. They also appear to be made of a single piece of leather with only an outer seam. Now, I'm not sure how these are closed or maintain their shape/height. Perhaps there's some form of internal attachment closer to the knee to the trousers. Who knows...pure conjecture...

Anyway, here's an 1864 dated photo of these in use by an federal officer later in the war. I like the scalloped front edge, much like the other example.

Comment

I am a bit ruffled when these are referred to as "gaitors". I think of gaitors as being made of cloth and having buttons or straps on the side to close them about the leg. However, that may very well be the correct name for them.

When did they stop being gaitors and start being "leggings"?

I've also noticed variances in the construction. Some seem to have some a stirrup strap that runs below the shoe and some do not. I have yet to see a closure device on any, so they must just slip on. Kilpatrick's seem huge on him and I can't help but wonder how they stay up. Are they just that stiff?

At any rate, I think this is an item that is not represented in the hobby to the extent that it is seen in images. I believe the images above reflect the wearer's pride and possible sense of fashion. Kilpatrick was vain, so obviously if HE is wearing them, they must be the latest in hip fashion.

Surely some vendor will realize the available market of ego-blown reenactors that will clamor for a set of these so that they may strut the length of sutler row like a peacock.
        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for the pics!

The only pair of original "false boots" that I've seen in person were on display at the old Gettysburg visitors' center museum (back when the NPS used to keep relics in museums, rather than touch-screens... but, I digress). They looked to me like they were made of painted cloth, but I suppose on reflection, that they could have been scuffed/worn leather.

I believe you can see them on the cot on the left in this photo:

From what I recall, they were not slip-on's, but fastened up one side (laces or buckles, I cannot recall).
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Oh man, is that a painted cloth valise in the opposite corner?
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Joe-FYI- the guy on the porch with the ladies and the funny whiskers is Kilpatrick-the guy in the leggings/gaitors/false boots is just a staffie-
              Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Joe, if you want to wear gaitors, just wear them. I swear we won't make too much fun of you. Its just that you feel guilty from preaching at others all these years about gaitors, so now you don't want to be a re-gressive reenactor.
                [B]Justin Morris[/B]
                [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
                "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

I think the 'staffer' in the picture with the 'loose leggings' has, in fact, soft, leather reinforced trousers. I have seen such a thing on Napoleonic trousers, but need to find some images...
                  [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U]Ken Pettengale[/U][/I][/B][/FONT]
                  [I]Volunteer Company, UK[/I]

"You may not like what you see, but do not on that account fall into the error of trying to adjust it to suit your own vision of what it ought to have been."
                  -- [I][B]George MacDonald Fraser[/B][/I]

Comment

Hallo!

Aye, these things fall under the annoying area of "loose terms" even in the Period such as the ones we have over what is a gun, musket, rifle-musket, rifled-musket, rifle, musketoon, carbine, pistol, and revolver.

:)

I would say NUG, but then there are no rules it seems...

That gaiters are button or buckle closed as in the military context, while leggings (aka leggins) are sewn closed (such as with Native leggins and the same copied by White frontiersmen/plainsmen).

This also crosses over into studies of Berdan Sharpshooters were analysis of Period images show their "gaiters" as being one piece with no seams (while the popular reproductions have a seam down down the front).

The original 17th or early 18th century design was to protect the knee breeches wearing military's (or civilians) stockings and lower legs from undo wear, damage, or dirt.
                    By the end of the 18th, by and large, the thigh high fashion had been replaced by what was called "half gaiters" that bareley reached the lower calves- and became the ancestor of the strap buckled "military leggings."

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

That's what I initially thought and am still not entirely against the idea. They hang just as the trouser leg would.

Comment

Originally posted by 10TnVI View Post
                        Joe-FYI- the guy on the porch with the ladies and the funny whiskers is Kilpatrick-the guy in the leggings/gaitors/false boots is just a staffie-

Yes, sorry! I just saw the side burns and ugly puss and leapt to the assumption. I didn't even notice the guy on the porch!

(Kilpatrick would be crushed to know this, I'm sure.)
                        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Morris View Post
                          Joe, if you want to wear gaitors, just wear them. I swear we won't make too much fun of you. Its just that you feel guilty from preaching at others all these years about gaitors, so now you don't want to be a re-gressive reenactor.

Oh, don't worry, I may wear them yet. However, I would need to make sure what a civilian version looked like. I am not assuming the civilian and military are the same.

And anyone laughing at me would just be showing their ignorance.

I thought the opposite of progress was congress? Wouldn't that make me a congressive reenactor? Could you see Ma Hudson's boy in Congress?
                          Joe Smotherman

Comment

No, its regressive. Mitch Critel is actually starting the Regressive Movement, where all the fellas that have been campaigning for 10 plus years start regressing back to their early days. A Frame, cooler, funnel cakes, tons of blue trim, gaitors for every event, Scottish Glengarry hats, etc. This will be slowly introduced over a period of many years, so it is a very slow regression!

Good luck on the falsies on a serious note. I for one had never heard of them until now.
                            [B]Justin Morris[/B]
                            [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
                            "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

Hallo!

On the serious side...

Being a "private purchase" kind of thing, IMHO I don't think you will find a sealed pattern from the Quartermaster Department.

On the half-serious side...

I am dumping the German-thing for the Confederate Highland-thing.

Now forming Regressive Mess No. 1

Bagpipers wanted and welcomed.

Curt
                              Curt Schmidt
                              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                              -Vastly Ignorant
                              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchumacher View Post
                                That's what I initially thought and am still not entirely against the idea. They hang just as the trouser leg would.

The straps below would pull down something like a 'boot top' made that loose, but they would keep the trouser leg from riding up when mounted...
                                [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U]Ken Pettengale[/U][/I][/B][/FONT]
                                [I]Volunteer Company, UK[/I]

"You may not like what you see, but do not on that account fall into the error of trying to adjust it to suit your own vision of what it ought to have been."
                                -- [I][B]George MacDonald Fraser[/B][/I]

Comment

Working...
                                X