• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans Son Remembers Him

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article...LIFE/308279997
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Re: Veterans Son Remembers Him

I have actually had the pleasure of meeting this young man. I met him at the McClung Museum, in Knoxville, when they opened the civil war exhibit. I was dressed in my period attire and he started asking me questions. He specifically commented on my private purchase shoes. I guess he was testing my knowledge. We talked for a bit and he made the comment that his father fought in the war. I was amazed with disbelief. Of course, I then started asking him questions. Mr Brown is a true GEM.
    Greg S Barnett
    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Brother.

I had the pleasure of meeting a Nebraska woman whose father fought for the Union, and preceding the Columbia Rifles' Culp's Hill scenario in 2003, I walked the Pickett-Pettigrew route at Gettysburg with an NPS tour group -- including the son of a Confederate veteran who was in the unit that made the original trip 140 years before. His father was about 80 when he was born, and now he was in his eighties. We gave him a hearty cheer!

It is always humbling whenever we're able to touch history, if only for a fleeting moment.

Best regards,
      Paul Hadley
      College View 320, AF&AM
      Paul Hadley

Comment

This is truely amazing. I honestly didn't know anyone like him was still alive! How could his father have been at Shiloh and fighting for Lee out East though?
        V/R
        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Well, the 8th Georgia doesnt have Shiloh on its battle honors but it did fight in Tennessee so what I'm thinking is that at one time his unit might have come near Shiloh but obviously wasnt there during the battle.

Heres a close up of the image he was holding in that article, its actually a really neat image.
          Attached Files
          [CENTER]Yours with a jerk,
          Michael Kirby
          [COLOR="Green"]Fort Moultrie : STRANGER DANGER!
          Sharpsburg LH: Wrecking the Van (The Tripp Corbin Experience)
          Westville GA Work Weekend: SWAMP MONSTER![/COLOR]
          [COLOR="Blue"]Bummers
          [/COLOR]
          [COLOR="Blue"]Pt. Lookout Maryland LH
          Rivers Bridge Federal Campaigner Adjunct
          Backwaters 1865
          In The Van: Trailing Kirby Smith
          Before The Breakout
          Struggles of Secession[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

the 8th wasn't at Shiloh. There is an excllent regimental history on them though: A scyth of Fire.

Bryant Roberts
            Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
            palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Just last week, Milwaukee lost its last "true son" of a Civil War veteran, William Upham Jr. It is a loss that is felt by all in this area who study and/or reenact the ACW.

[I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
              John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

John,
                Am I reading the obit correctly that William Jr. is survived by a sister and brother? If so, I wonder if they also have an interest in William Sr.'s Civil War history?
                Paul Hadley
                Paul Hadley

Comment

Paul,

I do not know. My involvement in the Milwaukee area is comparitively recent. I saw Bill at CWRT meetings and other events. His name was the one was the one that was constantly referenced. I would defer to any others who knew him & his family longer and better than I.
                  John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

John,
                    Am I reading the obit correctly that William Jr. is survived by a sister and brother? If so, I wonder if they also have an interest in William Sr.'s Civil War history?
                    Paul Hadley

It stated that his brother died in infancy and he is survived by a half-sister.
                    [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
                    -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Galen,

When I was reenacting in Alabama back in the early '90s, there was a Real Son named Mr Kennedy who portrayed a Confederate private soldier and came to most of the events. He carried his Enfield onto the field, but usually took a hit early. He loved it when the nurses would fawn over him! He was in his 80s back then. He has probably passed over by now.

Don't remember what unit he belonged to.
                      Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        It stated that his brother died in infancy and he is survived by a half-sister.
                        Maybe these old eyes are failing me, but I do not see that in the article. It closes with, "Other survivors include daughter Darby Upham; brother Frederick; sister Letty Mechler; grandchildren and great-grandchildren."
                        John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

My mother works as a nurse at a nursing home, and I recall her telling me some years ago that she had a patient whose father was a drummer in the Union Army. I really wish that I had had mom to ask the lady more about her father.

Roy Queen

Comment

Working...
                          X