Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone remember this book?

Herr Schmidt,
    That's the book. I found out today that the artist was david Greenspan. I also found out in 1994 Greenspan and Daniel(?) OShea did a book titled Battle Maps of the Civil War . This book also utilised artwork of Don Troiani . As mentioned here the book with various maps by Greenspan by Golden book is still around being reprinted @ 2004. However, the Gettysburg Book with Greenspans work still hasn't been found. Anyone finding it please pass me the ISBN # or LOC #.
    Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

It was from the American Heritage Junior Library Series. Here is an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Gettysb.../dp/B000LBQAM0
      It did use the same materials from the various editions of the complete Civil War book.

John Cummings
      Spotsylvania, VA
      Last edited by John of Spotsyltucky; 08-30-2009, 09:33 AM. Reason: had to sign message

Comment

Originally posted by Milliron View Post
        I remember this book very well. It was actually the first place I saw photographs from the war. I must have checked it out 10 times during 5th grade. There are paintings of various battles that look a lot like dioramas. It was also the first place I ever saw a reenactor of any kind, as there is photograph of a Yankee cooling his feet in a stream. That kind of got me thinking . . .

I've been at it for 27 years, in no small part due to that book.
        The book Milliron refers to was published by the National Geographic Society in 1969, and did have a similar series of "diorama maps" as the American Heritage volumes did but with more of a realistic scale. They were painted by Richard Schlecht. The book title was The Civil War and was written by Robert Paul Jordan. It did have several photographs of early reenactors which was very cool for kids to see in relation to the period images. The author also had pictures of his family visiting battlefields with him during the centennial era.

John Cummings
        Spotsylvania, VA
        Last edited by John of Spotsyltucky; 08-30-2009, 09:34 AM. Reason: had to sign message

Comment

That's the book John. Thank You! Like many others my 5th grade history project was based on this book and it's maps.
          Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

Working...
          X