• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pa. Man Fires Replica Cannon, Hits House

Pa. Man Fires Replica Cannon, Hits House
    Posted: September 4th, 2009 11:04 AM EDT

The Associated Press

UNIONTOWN, Pa. --

A Pennsylvania history buff who recreates firearms from old wars accidentally fired a 2-pound cannonball through the wall of his neighbor's home.

Fifty-four-year-old William Maser fired a cannonball Wednesday evening outside his home in Georges Township that ricocheted and hit a house 400 yards away.

The cannonball, about two inches in diameter, smashed through a window and a wall before landing in a closet. Authorities say nobody was hurt.

State police charged Maser with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct.

No one answered the phone Friday at Maser's home. He tells WPXI-TV recreating 19th century cannons is a longtime hobby. He says he is sorry and he will stop shooting them on his property, about 35 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.
    Respectfully,
    Mark Bond
    [email]profbond@cox.net[/email]
    Federal Artillery

Re: Pa. Man Fires Replica Cannon, Hits House

Great, just the kind of media coverage that always seems to make it on-air.

My unit doesn't actually fire anything but powder charges, but we did an event 7-weeks ago (July 10-12, 2009), under the steady gaze of two State Park "inspectors". They watched us go through several dry-fire drills, watched us when we did artillery demos, and when we participated in the CW Battle Demo, we had a mis-fire, and recieved complements on our "professionalism" by them and our Federal Opponents when we properly signalled the mis-fire, and handled the situation safely and efficiently. Do you think any of that made the news, even the local paper?? Not only no, but... well, you know the drill. Just goes to show, if it bleeds, it leads.

All you Journalism students out there...take note!!
    [COLOR="Black"][/COLOR][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

2nd Lt. James Ward
    Adjutant
    1st Maryland Artillery (Dement's Battery)

Comment

Oh relax! This story's kinda funny when you know that no one got hurt.
      Bill Backus

Comment

Here in the south that activity would have begun with, "Here, hold my beer for a minute..."
        The retelling would have begun with " Ya'll ain't gonna believe this s--t..."
        Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
        Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Originally posted by csabugler View Post
          Here in the south that activity would have begun with, "Here, hold my beer for a minute..."
          The retelling would have begun with " Ya'll ain't gonna believe this s--t..."
          :beer_yum::shades_sm:......LOFL....you got it man.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbond057 View Post
            accidentally fired a 2-pound cannonball through the wall of his neighbor's home...Fifty-four-year-old William Maser
            Whilst not qualifying for a Darwin Award ("Honoring those who improve the species...by accidentally removing themselves from it!"), Mr. Maser merits an Honorable Mention based on "the stupidity displayed by the participants...stops short of the ultimate sacrifice, but we salute their spirit and innovation".

Details of the Darwin Award are found at: http://www.darwinawards.com/.
            [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
            [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
            16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
            22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
            &
            [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
            4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Maybe the gentleman was practicing ship to ship Naval Gunnery
              Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

Oh sure. It's all fun and games, until somebody fires one of these at a fort in Charleston harbor. :D
                Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Oh sure. It's all fun and games, until somebody fires one of these at a fort in Charleston harbor.

LOL!!!
                  Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                  Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Working...
                  X