How to Recruit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Recruit??

How exactly do units out there try to draw recruits? Posters? Advertisements? Open Bars? What strategy do you try to get interested people into the uniform? I'm asking because we're starting to despair here and are getting stuck in a rut of only doing a couple of public events per year with the rest private. Fun and as relaxing as this is, the hobby here, perhaps nationally, is imploding rapidly. We NEED 'new blood' so how do we get it besides the occasional dog-and-pony show?
    [FONT="Georgia"][B][SIZE="3"]Paul Norris[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]
    [SIZE="2"][B][FONT="Georgia"]19th Alabama Infantry
    [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
    Backwaters 1865 - S.U.G., Company A

Re: How to Recruit??

Talk to friends with like interest and bring them out to events. Have yourself an extra rifle or two as well as uniform accouterments etc. to outfit these fellows. The best way to get someone in from my experience is to "get them on the field". Let them feel the "rush" that a battle reenactment brings. They won't be interested in sitting around doing a living history, people want to do something. My groups that I have been a part of have not had any luck recruiting from the public at public events. Groups may have that happen now and again, some even have extra gear ready to go so that they can put an interested fellow onto the field. The key is getting them out there and doing some thing.
    Use "friendship evangelism" when recruiting for your group get them into uniform (even if its all your old farb stuff at this point) and get them on the field. Once they get the taste and actually see how fun it is, if they want to do it they will get past the expense (a major hang up for most people) and get into the hobby.

Friendships and the recruits they bring are the life blood of the hobby in my mind.

This has worked well for me in the past and I figure it will work again in the future.

Good luck in your endevours,
    Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

Havin done recruiting for my unit, and can say that Andrew really nailed it. Not much to add.
      Frank Perkin

Comment

Havin done recruiting for my unit, and can say that Andrew really nailed it. Not much to add.
        Frank Perkin

Comment

I guess the biggest thing to think about from Paul's point of view is that we're recruiting in another country. We have obstacles other than what units in the States have. First we have the fact that this is foreign history to people here in Australia. The American War Between the States is probably one of the most attractive to folks worldwide. The whole "Brother versus Brother" theme, the "lost cause", and the huge scope of the whole War make it appealing in general. The underdog aspect makes things Confederate especially intriguing. Having said that though, our prosective member pool is much smaller than in the States. The gun laws here hurt us. People know that to get involved in a hobby such as ours will mean lots of jumping thru hoops. It also means that we're not able to keep as many extra muskets around for people to give it a try.

The farbs, rednecks(and you know what type of rednecks I mean), rebel flag waving KKK, etc. have given the hobby a bad image around the world. Too many farb reenactors get facetime on TV, even way down here. Excuse me if I get on any toes, but "Confederate reenactors who won't wear blue" and vice versa make themselves and the hobby look silly.Too many farb reenactors get facetime on TV, even way down here. Some people lump as together due to this. Think we're ALL just a joke. We're fighting along with you back home(I'm originally from Georgia) to change this image.

I agree with Andrew that letting them burn some powder in a "battle" probably gets their attention more than a good living history. We just don't have the numbers do do anything of any size here.....yet. Though we do get everyone together and borrow from other groups sometimes to do small skirmishes. The gun laws affect these sort of things too. I guess they're afraid we'll revolt if we get a big enough group together with firearms, even muzzleloaders. It's against the law here to carry a pocketknife, so I'm a criminal. Fellas, don't let Mr. Obama do this to the hobby in the US or the country in general....please.

What we need are some good ideas as to getting some young guys interested, as well as the older farts like me. If it was in the States, I'd say school programs would be the way to go, and I'm not saying they aren't. But where most schools in the States are eager to get "experts" in to teach a class, free of charge, people are a bit more skeptical here. Most folks have no idea why we do this or who we are, so that makes them a bit skitish.

We've done local newspaper articles with some results, but we just can't find that "magic bullet" so to speak. Well, I guess there isn't one. But any more good ideas??

D.W. Scalf
          D.W.(Trace)Scalf
          19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
          George Santayana

Comment

One thing I've done lately is to join "groups" on social networking sites (facebook and such) and posting recruitments or mentioning events and having people contact me if they are interested. I've gotten a few "fresh fish" doing it that way, but nothing beats the good old fashioned way at events and good friends to help spread the word.
            Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
            Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
            Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
            Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
            Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
            Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
            sigpic

Comment

I think Trace hit this on the head for me. Thanks to the folks for the help on going to shows and lending out gear but basically none of this works here because of a simple rule: those few that might be interested never get to the equipment lending stage. Why? Well, they've got their own reasons.
              But the thing that is really killing us is the bad press civil war reenactors get as Trace said. Namely the media and folks love nothing more than having a good chortle at scenes of tubby men dress up and 'make pretend.' For example we had a show here about these two guys travelling across the US Borat style. For a Civil War scene they found the farbiest bunch of guys they could grab and popped rounds cowboy and indian style. Its this oppressing stereotype that strangles interest. Unless I'm standing right in front on them in my full impression, if I mention my hobby I get the raised eyebrows and the stereotypical assumptions. There are plenty of civil war buffs around but getting them into the field is a real struggle and often unsuccessful until we get the ball rolling with some good public events and the like.
              [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

here in the UK gun laws hit hard. But, we have several inert guns for training, not quite the perfect solution I know but at least A solution, at least until folk can get licenses sorted out.
                We are also massive lucky to have a regimental guy with a big car who rounds up all that spare, grown out of, got better than now, kit, shoves it in a sack and brings it along as a stock to equip potential new members there and then!
                Now I get contentious.....Probably the worst thing that happens is your new member gets all excited, so burn powder during the day and drink beer at night, Maybe?
                Or, on the other side he gets put off by all the restrictions and sudden seriousness about him in what he/she/it thought was going to be a fun hobby.
                Guess what I am trying to say is do not recruit too much on the obvious fun side of the hobby, don't over emphasize this and when they have started go gentle n coaxing them into being a high standard re-enactor. Many of us started in A frames with modern kit inside hidden away, not seeing the point of cooking period style etc etc and then began to get it gradually over a season or two. had it been enforced straight away, or we felt so, we would not be in the hobby today.
                I say none of this lightly as I work as a recruiter at events and also in my own time. One thing I will say is look for a foot in the door of your new prospective recruits skill set or desire. Fact find, don't just present what you think is cool about the hobby.
                THINK - WHAT DOES HE WANT OUT OF IT?
                Sorry if this is getting all salesman but it works!
                A bit of background on your new recruit will pay dividends and may ease his mind or fears as well. Useful background hooks I have found include.
                Scouts, any paramilitary organizations etc - Drill, camp routine.
                Role players or LARPers, and yes I do mean D&D players. - First person, narrating or story telling.
                Musician - obvious really
                Historians - Experimental archeology, chance to exchange views with others of the same interest type.

If they have done any of these then you can say mind easing stuff, after all they have done some of it before, one way or another. build on existing foundation, don't make them feel like they are starting at the bottom.

Now I guess some of you are reading and thinking I am telling you what you already know, but next time you are recruiting stop and listen to yourselves and I bet what you are selling as a hobby is what you enjoy, and not what they would.

P.S As far as Bronwald the Barbarian goes, I am not suggesting that D&D translates directly across but someone who has created a character and stays in character for four hours during a RPG night is doing fantasy living non history. I know many re-enactors who cannot do first person and many RPGers who can once they have been given relevant details.
                Last edited by Indianabugles; 09-16-2009, 04:48 AM.
                [B][I]Christian Sprakes
                19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

This is an interesting forum and I feel compelled to post now.

When I started up in the hobby several years ago, I had many of the negative preconceptions that are unfortunately associated with the term "reenactor". I thought it was a bunch of old fat men pretending to play war while drinking copious amounts of beer. Thats all well and good, but there is so much more to be learned and enjoyed from this hobby than that. When we recruit, we must keep this in mind. We will not, I repeat will not encourage new members to join if the first thing they hear is the sometimes overwhelming price tag associated with things like uniform, musket, etc. It is incredibly difficult to start off as an authentic, let alone maintain it for people like me(recent college grad).

I liked what Christian mentioned and that is meeting people where they are. Private events such as LBL and Knoxville (this past year) are great events, but its not a spectator event. And yes, we all have friends that we know might be interested, but how great is it when a father and son, looking for something to connect over, come to a reenactment, farb it up together and have a great time learning a new hobby? Or what about the people who come to reenactments and FINALLY get a sense of what life must have been like 150 years ago. I've come across too many reenactors who shun people away from camp simply because they are too caught up in themselves to deal with the public. If you don't want to deal with the public, why go to a public event? And to follow that up, where else are you realistically expecting new recruits will come from if not from some fresh blood?

Most Sincerely,
                  Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
                  Wolftever Mess
                  SCAR-Southeastern Coalition of Authentic Reenactors

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Comment

Christian: Those are some good and valid points there. Asking the recruit first-off what they are expecting or want out of the hobby is an excellent tactic. It would also have saved myself endless time with every prospective member. We were thinking of finding some D&D types, the 'nerdy' ones so-to-speak because of the few we have come across they seemed the most constructive and adaptable. Might haunt some gaming events and conventions in kit.

Brian: We've sort of going along the public track and noticed some of the attitudes by some to the public. It's just hard to break into the business down here - insurance, few events, stereotypes, etc. We've brought some people into the hobby and they've turned into farbs - we tried to turn them around but sometimes people just can't get over that hurdle of 'If the public is happy and I'm happy then we're all good.' It sucks to see all that work gone to waste but you've just got to keep trying.
                    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

I was recruited at the beginning of this year I've been a LARPer for a long time. I don't know how it is in the USA, but in England, much of my initial resistance to re-enactment was the opinions a lot of larpers (and probably a lot of the public) have about the hobby.

It's all scripted - If it is no-one gave me a copy! The amount of ad-lib unexpectedness that happens has exceeded all expectections and there's no chance of someone spoiling a wonderfully tense moment by yelling "REF CALL" or "TIME FREEZE"

It's all about the battle
                      The prospect of standing in the rank and file pouring powder down my piece like there's no tomorrow doesn't really thrill me. At first I thought my first event was going to be along the lines of camp, drill, march, discharge musket a few times, move a bit, empty cartridge box, fall over, get up, march, empty tins into a pan, eat, sleep, repeat. I wasn't aware of the pervasiveness of the living history or the extent to which first person impressions could be done.

I'd seen an American Civil War re-enactment when I was a lot younger and hadn't been all that impressed, lots of bangs, a regrouping disguised as a surrender, and half the re-enactors seen half an hour later wandering around whatever county fair I was at eating hot dogs or burgers. I wasn't hugely impressed.

Some crawling in the woods under fire from cannon and sharpshooters, cooking everything on a fire, a lack of script beyond he orders from a vaguely familiar rank structure, and my first trip to church in many years (I'm a devout atheist but it's good living history) had me convinced. Why? Because most of the things I thought I wouldn't like turned out to be misconceptions, or things that were severely frowned upon.
                      If I'd gone along to one of the events later on in the year, especially as a visitor, I might have been less impressed as all the farbs showed up and we had some lovely speeches about how living history isn't important. Impressionable people might have heard the speeches, and my mother saw a uniformed burger van raid at my home event :-(

My point? It's often easy to find what people want, especially if you know them, finding out why they're resisting is also important, it may be for reasons that are easily set aside.

And then there's a little but of translation of terminology that helps if you're going after people with similar interests, the magic phrase for larpers is "Your In Character is our First Person."
                      Last edited by talkToTheHat; 09-23-2009, 08:43 PM.
                      Charles Elwood
                      18th Virginia Co G
                      19th Indiana Co A
                      ACWS (UK)

Comment

Originally posted by D.W. Scalf View Post
                        I guess the biggest thing to think about from Paul's point of view is that we're recruiting in another country. We have obstacles other than what units in the States have. First we have the fact that this is foreign history to people here in Australia. The American War Between the States is probably one of the most attractive to folks worldwide. The whole "Brother versus Brother" theme, the "lost cause", and the huge scope of the whole War make it appealing in general. The underdog aspect makes things Confederate especially intriguing. Having said that though, our prosective member pool is much smaller than in the States. The gun laws here hurt us. People know that to get involved in a hobby such as ours will mean lots of jumping thru hoops. It also means that we're not able to keep as many extra muskets around for people to give it a try.

The farbs, rednecks(and you know what type of rednecks I mean), rebel flag waving KKK, etc. have given the hobby a bad image around the world. Too many farb reenactors get facetime on TV, even way down here. Excuse me if I get on any toes, but "Confederate reenactors who won't wear blue" and vice versa make themselves and the hobby look silly.Too many farb reenactors get facetime on TV, even way down here. Some people lump as together due to this. Think we're ALL just a joke. We're fighting along with you back home(I'm originally from Georgia) to change this image.

I agree with Andrew that letting them burn some powder in a "battle" probably gets their attention more than a good living history. We just don't have the numbers do do anything of any size here.....yet. Though we do get everyone together and borrow from other groups sometimes to do small skirmishes. The gun laws affect these sort of things too. I guess they're afraid we'll revolt if we get a big enough group together with firearms, even muzzleloaders. It's against the law here to carry a pocketknife, so I'm a criminal. Fellas, don't let Mr. Obama do this to the hobby in the US or the country in general....please.

What we need are some good ideas as to getting some young guys interested, as well as the older farts like me. If it was in the States, I'd say school programs would be the way to go, and I'm not saying they aren't. But where most schools in the States are eager to get "experts" in to teach a class, free of charge, people are a bit more skeptical here. Most folks have no idea why we do this or who we are, so that makes them a bit skitish.

We've done local newspaper articles with some results, but we just can't find that "magic bullet" so to speak. Well, I guess there isn't one. But any more good ideas??

D.W. Scalf
                        D. W.,

are blackpowder guns banned/regulated in Australia the same way that other guns are?
                        [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B][SIZE="3"]James Cannon[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Sons of Confederate Veterans, Henry Watkins Allen Camp #133 (Baton Rouge, LA)[/FONT]
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Louisiana State Militia, 10th Brigade[/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]“The Confederate sabreur kissed his blade homeward riding on into the mouth of hell.” [/I][/FONT]

Comment

Well first off, guns aren't banned in Australia, but they are highly regulated. If you have a legitimate reason to own a gun, such as owning property where varmints might need exterminating, they are permissable. Believe it or not, military reenacting or belonging to a shooting club are also valid reasons. A lot of those ads the NRA put on TV a few years ago were, shall we say, scare tactics to a degree. They made it sound a bit worse in Australia than it really is/was. But just by a bit. The purpose was to scare Americans into not going down the road Australia has. Like I said in my earlier post, it's against the law to carry a pocket knife, once again, unless you have a valid reason(other than self defense). Pellet guns have to be licensed here. Common sense has taken a back seat to total government control. For most folks it's too much of a hassle to go thru all the hoops you have to go thru to own a firearm here. So I'd say, IMHO, that most of the guns here are in the hands of criminals instead of law abiding citizens. So to answer your question, they aren't banned, but they(including muzzle loaders) are highly regulated. And you are under heavy scrutiny by the Government. Oh, but one more thing....If you happen to own an antique firearm, for which "ammunition" is not readily available, it's considered as harmless as grandma's antique egg beater, and you can own it legally. Provided it's kept locked up in a steel box bolted to the wall or floor(as all firearms have to be stored). But I look for that to change too.

Oh man, I could go on and on.....But this is still a pretty good place to live over all. I've been here 8 years, and will be at least 4 more.

D.W. Scalf
                          D.W.(Trace)Scalf
                          19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
                          George Santayana

Comment

Is there a distinction between shotguns and rifles in Australia like there is in the UK? Here the onus is on the police to show why you shouldn't have a shotgun and the rules surrounding storage, use and ammunition are much more relaxed so most reenactors use smoothbores on a shotgun licence. An extra certificate is needed for black powder.

The upside of having smoothbores is we can use them for clay pidgin shooting. If you want to infect people with the the black powder bug it's easier to get someone to commit to half a day than a weekend away. I find a walk in the woods to shoot clays much more social than a trip to the rifle range.

I've noticed that most of us that shoot black powder outside of reenactment don't show up to events in order to burn more powder.
                            Charles Elwood
                            18th Virginia Co G
                            19th Indiana Co A
                            ACWS (UK)

Comment

Thanks for the tips Mr. Talk to the Hat (best to sign your full name on your posts before a mod jumps on you), those are helpful pointers.

Unfortunately no, shotguns are put under A-B classification - lumped with single shot, bolt/break/pump action weaponry in regards to the laws enforcement. So buying a three-bander would mean the same paperwork as buying a shotgun for re-enacting. If you're using your shotgun for sport you would need paperwork to prove you're a member of a sport shooting association.
                              Last edited by BrisbaneReb; 10-01-2009, 08:35 PM. Reason: grammar
                              [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X