How to make a pipe stem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a pipe stem??

A few months back I bought an original clay Pipe in Fredericksburg. However I did not get a stem with it. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make my own stem, or where to purchase a good one? Thanx!!

-Matt
    [B][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"]Matthew Avellino[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: How to make a pipe stem??

Dear Sir,
    I fashion my pipe stems from the branches of the elderberry bush. Cut to length, push out the pulp with a coat hanger wire and it is ready. Some fellers coat theirs with a sealer or wrap in twine or leather . The most difficult part is for a city feller to identify an elderberry bush!
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett
    Dave Corbett

Comment

Thank you David. Your right, this "city feller" will have to make a stop at google.com and type in "Pictures of elderberry bush" haha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Matt,
        Here in central to south GA and AL bamboo is found in slightly marshy areas. These plants in their adolescent stage make the perfect stem- just cut and trim to length. Not sure if this species of plant is found in the low lying areas of more northern states, though.
        Mark Taylor

Comment

The berries from that plant, turn everything purple, if I am thinking of the right plant. If so I have always found then along side a fence line or something over grown like that.

Second thought that might be Poke weed that I am thinking of.
          Aka
          Wm Green :D
          Illegitimi non carborundum
          (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
          Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Here is a couple of images of an original pipe stem in my collection:

Pictured is the end for the bowl. It appears to be whittled down approximately 3/8". Bore diameter is 1/8". It is made of wood and looks to be just a simple twig without the outside bark.

This is the end for the mouth piece

Unlike the reed end, the mouth piece end has been grooved (the notches are visible). This created threads for the mouth piece to screw on.

Meerschaum bowl
            Jason C. Spellman
            Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Wow very Nice Jason!! thanx....i'm def gonna use that as a reference.

-Matthew Avellino

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hallo!

You can also hollow out narrow cane shoots with a coat hanger or a longer drill bit.

If you plan on eating any berries, be sure you know the difference between the edible elderberry and the toxic pokeweed!

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Pipe stems...check out your local "Import Goods" emporium. They typically have a varied selection of reeds, in sizes and length. You may end up buying a dozen stems for about $7.00, but you're set for life - plus you could give some as Christmas presents to your pards. I use caution to carve a bit off the pipe end a little at a time for a snug - but not forced - fit.

-Jay Reid
                  Dreamer42
                  Jay Reid

Comment

never thought there were so many possibilities in terms of getting stems lol. I wanna use all these outlets :). Thanx everyone!!

-Matthew Avellino

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by marktaylor View Post
                      Matt,
                      Here in central to south GA and AL bamboo is found in slightly marshy areas. These plants in their adolescent stage make the perfect stem- just cut and trim to length. Not sure if this species of plant is found in the low lying areas of more northern states, though.
                      Bamboo?? How does one identify an indigenous variety, from non-indigenous, or is there even such a thing?

Paul B.
                      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      (Loblolly Mess)
                      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

that's a very good question lol....

-Matthew Avellino

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                          Bamboo?? How does one identify an indigenous variety, from non-indigenous, or is there even such a thing?

Paul B.
                          There is I believe one indigenous species of bamboo, I just cant find the name. Ibelieve it grows natuarlly in Georgia and Florida but I am not 100%.......There is a period pipe in the Confederate EOG that shows a clay pipe with a bamboo stem.
                          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

An indigenous bamboo

River cane has variably been considered two species or a species with subspecies:

Arundinaria gigantea – also known as giant cane, large cane, river cane, Southern cane
                            A.tecta or A gigantea tecta – also small cane or switch cane
                            The two types share similar habitats and physiologies, and often grow together in the wild. As a member of the bamboo family, river cane is a true grass with a perennial woody stem. The larger variety typically grows to 3-5 meters, whereas the smaller cane may top off at 2 meters.

Current and Historic Distribution of Arundinaria
                            Arundinaria gigantea is found in 23 states and tecta in 14 of these states. River cane can be found as far west as Texas and as far north as New York, but is primarily distributed in the Southern and Southeastern US.

Rivercane is typically found in monodominant thickets or “brakes”. These were once a dominant part of the landscape. For instance in central Kentucky in 1790, one canebrake was reported to be ‘‘15 miles long and nearly half as wide.’’ Today it is estimated that less than 2% of original habitat remains.

Overgrazing and cultivation are the primary culprits of native Arundinaria’s habitat loss. Decades of fire suppression have also been harmful in two ways: the canopy grows too thick for understory plants like river cane, and when fires do occur, they tend to be catastrophic and leave too much sunlight for the cane to reestablish itself.
                            Russell L. Stanley
                            Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
                            Co.A 45th Mississippi
                            Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
                            Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Working...
                            X