Hardee Hat Stitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardee Hat Stitching

My friend, Murray Therrell, and I were talking about Hardee hats when he asked what the 2 rows of stitching on the enlisted hat were for. I had to say I had no idea.

What are they for? They don't seem like they would give much reinforcement to the edge. The edge shouldn't be unravelling where stitches would be needed to stop such a thing.

Is there a real purpose for it or is it just a top-stitch put there for a non-purpose?
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Re: Hardee Hat Stitching

It helps you be super cool!

Actually I have no idea for the reason, and the sources I have available aren't helping either.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Hallo!

If I may borrow a post WWII concept... the twin row of stitching is "rip stop."

Enlisted hats lacked edge binding. In theory, a rip or tear of the edge could travel only as far back as the NUG 1/8 inch, 4 stitch per inch, stitching- thus (economically) preventing further damage to the brim.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I believe it also helped keep the shape of the brim.
        David Fox

Comment

Both are correct from what I have experianced. It keeps the edge of the brim from "Curling" or getting wavey after it gets wet as well as rip stopping.

Tim Allen
          Tim Allen

Comment

These responses do make sense and may very well be the reasoning behind the construction. But they are still more supposition than anything. So, has anyone seen documentation that might give the reasoning behind the stitching?
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Perhaps, like the brown lines in fed issue blankets, could have been used as sizing marks to know where to trim the brim to an even and consistent width...???
              V/R
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

It gave the contractor's sisters-in-law jobs :tounge_sm
                Yours, &c
                Adam Clark
                -Pumpkin Patch Mess

"I really feel that we've stepped into our ancestor's shoes, but... those shoes suck."
                Connor Clune

Comment

Working...
                X