Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifact- What is it???

All:

I post here for your viewing a potential artifact from my father-in-law's friend. It was found in a stream bed in close proximity to the Wilderness Battelfield in Virginia.

So I pose the question- what is it? Is it even a relic of the period- probably, considering the circumstances of where it was found. It could even be pre-Civil War.

My guess is that it could be one of the metal bands from the hub of a wagon or cannon wheel. Possibly artillery caisson or piece/supply wagon/hospital wagon in nature... could it be civilian either? How about naval in-nature?

Any educated guesses? Let's open it to the group to have some fun with this. I'm always up for some fun.

Mods, if ya'll need to move this thread elsewhere, please do what you must. ;)

All the best and see ya'll at Bummers if not sooner! -Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
    Attached Files
    Artillery-related
    8.77%
    Hospital/supply wagon related
    5.26%
    Civilian-related
    40.35%
    Other (none of the above)
    17.54%
    Don't ask me such silliness. My brain hurts already. ;)
    28.07%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 09-22-2009, 11:21 AM.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: Artifact- What is it???

Hmmm. I've not measured mine, but it might be the rim of an artillery sponge or tar bucket. Or a transmission bracket from a '32 Essex.
    David Fox

Comment

David-

Yes, it could be post-war. Could be... My guess is still that it could be from the period due to the area it was found in.

Does anyone have any potentially-matching pics? I wonder what metal it is made of.

-Johnny
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

From the finder... LTC Robert Foster (ret):

There was an old (pre-civil war) mill upstream (just part of the foundation is left now). I suppose it is possible that hunk of iron could be from that. Previous owner supposedly found one of the mill wheels after a flood several years back.

Also, part of the route from the mill out to civilization is now part of the stream, so I guess it could also be to a wagon of some sort.

Beats me why it was sitting on top of a small sand bar… I guess I should dust off my metal detector and check out the area…

Hope this clue helps. -Johnny :wink_smil
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

FYI. The area around the Wilderness Battlefield saw a great deal of iron and gold mining activity (pre and post war). It's not unusual to wander the adjacent woods and find old pits, shafts and associated debris.

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Johnny, My first thought when I saw it was a part of primitive iron Bear trap. Some of the teeth might even be there it seems. There is and was a large Black Bear population in the areas in and around Virginia and fur trapping was a huge trade. Just a thought and a guess. Educated guess? debatable

Last edited by PetePaolillo; 09-22-2009, 12:29 PM.
            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

It's a part from a henweigh.
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
              Past President Potomac Legion
              Long time member Columbia Rifles
              Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Gee Dave....What's a Henweigh?

Sombody has to ask.
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Ernest Henweigh was a famous writer. I believe he wrote For Whom the Bell Clucks and A Farewell to Eggs.
                  Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Well I'm glad someone on the AC has heard of the game Balderdash. Seriously though, what is a henweigh? I googled it and came up with a picture of an old tractor. Is that it?
                    Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
                    Wolftever Mess
                    SCAR-Southeastern Coalition of Authentic Reenactors

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Comment

Gents,
                      I think a hen weighs about 3 1/2 Lbs
                      Art Stone
                      13th N.J.V.
                      Co."K"
                      " Rally, Boys Rally"
                      Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Comment

Thank you Art.:D

Comment

Okay... thanks for the foolishness about "weighing hens". I didn't fall for it... ha! :)

Now back on-track for the thread. A neat map is attached below showing where the item was found in the river.

Here is some commentary because he's not a member of this forum:

"Just upstream (about 200 yards) is the foundation of an old mill (pre-civil
                          war) - "Herndon's Mill". The previous owner of our property said he found
                          one of the millstones in the stream years ago, so it is entirely possible
                          this artifact is from that. A portion of the road that lead from the mill
                          up through what is now my property is now part of the stream, so an old
                          wagon/cart part is not out of the question. Map extract attached.

I don't know what the mill milled, but there is a bunch of quartz (and gold)
                          in this area, as noted in another e-mail, and so I would think it was
                          probably a stone-crushing mill of some sort. Greenwood Mine (shown on the
                          map and the future site of the friggin' WalMart) was, I believe, a gold and
                          quartz mine. The above-ground mill road on my property has a pile of quartz
                          in the middle of it that has been there quite a while. Eventually, I'll
                          move it and see what's below. I found an old (19th century) broken
                          cast-iron plow blade in this road, under about 6" of dirt.

It is also entirely possible that the artifact is a remnant of an old piece
                          of farming equipment, since there is a rather large farm upstream (where the
                          confederate field hospital was that amputated Jackson's arm).

I have kept the artifact intact up to this point, so I haven't removed any
                          crustaceans. No holes - threaded or otherwise, but some rivets (best I can
                          tell). I'll take some better pics and get them to you. Definitely iron
                          (like strap iron).

Our ferrier is also a blacksmith, wheelwright, cooper, etc. who restores
                          civil war cannons, carriages, etc. I'll have him take a look at it too the
                          next time he is out."

This would probably be in-line with the mine theory mentioned earlier in this thread. Then again, could the battles that happened in this area be a contributing factor too???

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 09-23-2009, 11:47 AM.
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Band for a wheel hub? A mill would have have many wheels of many sizes. heck, it could be a bearing for a millstone. Maybe it's a hammerfor?

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyDave View Post
                              Band for a wheel hub? A mill would have have many wheels of many sizes. heck, it could be a bearing for a millstone. Maybe it's a hammerfor?
                              Hey Dave what is a hammer for:D...That was brilliant;)..

.....I think Johnny's thread is a good one, Thanks for sharing your find Sir.
                              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X