Greg Bradburn
    [email]black3@gmx.us[/email]

Comment

Re: Artifact- What is it???

...crustaceans...
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Having spent 7 years working at an operating historic mill, I would second the thought about it maybe being from there. There truly were an incredible amount of wheels and gears in a mill running all the machinery that could potentially be found in such a place. And what better place to get rid of broken metal parts when replacing them than just tossing them out the window into the water? If it was cleaner and not so corroded I'd have a better idea as to whether it was from a mill or not.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

My first thought when I saw it was that it is part of a steel trap. The size would indicate that its for something smaller than a bear. This is my best guess:)
          [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
          Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
          [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
          Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
          Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
          The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Johnny,
            In my experience with wagons and buggies I have not seen any parts that have looked like that. So, in my opinion it is not part of a wagon or buggy. I am going to third the motion from it being from the mill. What branch did it come from? I lived in Orange for a number of years. There are still Herndons in Orange.
            Peter J. "Pete" McCarthy
            POC'R Boy's Mess/Columbia Rifles

"As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:10

Comment

Being a little familiar with gold-mining and stamp mills, I don't think it is part of a mill. It would be nice to compare it w/ a photo of a sponge bucket to see if it was part of one. My guess is that it has something to do with cooking. there appear to be three short "legs" mounted on the band and they appear to be positioned about 90 deg. from each other. Some sort of spider or trivet maybe?
              Last edited by tomarch; 10-08-2009, 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling
              Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
              Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
              Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
              Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
              Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Is it made of Iron? If so, I think it's for cooking. I don't know the name of the object, but I, and several other blacksmiths that work with me, have made them before. My master has the picture of the original, I'll see if I can get my hands on it to post. It's a circle band with short legs on it. You place it over the coals to get a level cooking surface. It may be one of these that is broken.
                Brian Mott

Iron Rooster Mess

Backwaters 2010 Mud March

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                X