X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie "Wicked Spring"

Pards,
    I found a very nice cw film at hollywood video on friday. It's called "Wicked Spring" Independent film company, very very very authentic. kinda slow begining, but the battle scenes are wonderful! no big name actors. the battle scenes are small, so they show alot of detail. It's set in a small section of the wilderness battle. I suggest that everyone who reads this post should go out and rent or buy it and watch it.

If anyone has questions about it, feel free to ask, sidedrummer@lycos.com

Re: Movie "Wicked Spring"

I will say that the authenticity and battle seens were great in Wicked Spring but, if you are looking for an exciting movie this is not it. I don't recall the middle of this film for the pure fact that i believe I was asleep. So, great authenticity, best i have seen in a movie, just no story.
    Dustin C Herr

Yocona Rip Raps
    "Res Ipsa Loquitur."

Comment

Just watched it for the first time actually, I'm greatly impressed, and it takes a considerable amount to impress me when it comes to film.
      [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
      [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
      [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
      [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
      [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
      [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
      [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
      [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
      [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Comment

I followed the making of this movie for a long time...Kevin Hershberger put a whole lot of work into it, and it has some great living historians in it. I agree with the authenticity being good. I thought the plot was completely ludicrous, though. I find it very hard to believe that six veteran soldiers, most of them strangers to each other, would accidentally come together during a major battle and spend all night sitting around a campfire...Without ever asking what units the others were from, or having the slightest suspicion that half were Rebs and half Yanks. (Does anyone know if there was an incident of such a thing happening during the War?) The scene at the end where they stood up in between the two battle lines and never even thought to drop to the ground before firing started amazed me.

I'm not trying to poke holes or denigrate what was obviously a good effort at making an authentic Civil War film. I just felt that the huge holes in the plot ruined what had the potential to be a pretty good film. Just my opinion.

Chad Teasley
        Chaps
        Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
        Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

Yeah, I totally agree Chad. Although I thought it was fairly entertaining simply because of its high level of authenticity (highest level I've ever seen in any form of a "major" motion picture), the whole night-time situation was a little patheticly written, I think. There could have been many other numerous ways to tie the rest of the story in.

As to the ending .... I've got an odd feeling that laying down might have not been enough when they were surrounded on all sides by that big of a volume of fire, but at the same time ... I'm baffled as to why they didn't shout or something ... ? :sarcastic

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with you two. It was weird though, it seemed to me like they went through the night acting like they knew that they were rebs and yanks, I mean, the US flag on the sergeants letter would have been a dead friggen givaway. that ending was definetly screwy. all in all, I enjoyed it for the very authentic battle scenes and such. to hell with the ending.

Comment

Kevin is a big fan of "Upon a Midnight Clear" a WWII movie with the same plot line, but with Germans and GI's.

John Sweeney

Comment

... I'm assuming the Germans spoke English without an accent?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Burke
                  Yeah, I totally agree Chad. Although I thought it was fairly entertaining simply because of its high level of authenticity (highest level I've ever seen in any form of a "major" motion picture), the whole night-time situation was a little patheticly written, I think. There could have been many other numerous ways to tie the rest of the story in.

As to the ending .... I've got an odd feeling that laying down might have not been enough when they were surrounded on all sides by that big of a volume of fire, but at the same time ... I'm baffled as to why they didn't shout or something ... ? :sarcastic
                  To answer your question all of this happened in only a few seconds not really enough time to think, beside the commarders had seen them and have given them the order to fire anyway. :cry_smile

Comment

Originally posted by bigreb18611865
                    To answer your question all of this happened in only a few seconds not really enough time to think, beside the commarders had seen them and have given them the order to fire anyway. :cry_smile
                    Kinda ludicrus, but hey, it's just somebody's story.

Rob McFarland

Rob, please sign your full name to all posts - Mike Chapman
                    Last edited by 2MDF&D; 02-17-2004, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2MDF&D
                      Kinda ludicrus, but hey, it's just somebody's story.

Rob McFarland

Rob, please sign your full name to all posts - Mike Chapman
                      Rob,
                      No not really, in the heat of battle nither commander knew what the other one was thinking, and I don't think that they were wanting to lose more men than they had to, at the expence of the lose of six men.

Comment

Well, either way you look at it, it was considerably more entertaining to the authentic-minded individual than listening to Jeff Daniels quote Shakespeare.

Comment

I decided to pick this up and watch it tonite before leaving for Florida. Honestly it was pretty slow and I wasn't captivated by the film... the script was weak, as has been noted, and they were obviously dealing with some folks who hadn't spent a lot of time in front of the camera.

But on the other hand, I thought Hershberger actually showed some talent with the camera.

Merrick, Perry and Jernigan in particular were decent. There were a few select scenes where they were even very good, and Merrick's character was actually rather compelling. Certainly the "costuming" - oh how it grates me to use that term... the "costuming" was obviously outstanding.
                          Paul Calloway
                          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                          Proud Member of the GHTI
                          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I will give this movie one thing:

For once I could watch a Civil War movie without dwelling on the farby uniforms and fat farby reenactors.

Thank you for that.

Comment

I was down there for the shooting (look for the confederate who went head first into the creek), and it looked like a real class act operation. They did pretty well with the limited budget that they had. The uniforms on all the background artist were second to none. If anyone wishes, I can post some pics from the shoot.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X