Hank Kluin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank Kluin

Not sure if this is the right place for this. Just got this from Jersey N***.

It is with extreme remorse that I announce the passing of Hank Kluin, the owner of F. Burgess and Company on October 7th, 2009. Hank made a tremendous impact upon the hobby, and his contribution to reproduction leathergoods continues on through the people that studied under him.

Details of the funeral arrangement will be announced later.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Emmanuel Dabney; 10-08-2009, 11:46 AM.
    Timothy J. Koehn
    Boone's Louisiana Battery
    Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
    http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Re: Hank Kluin

Thanks for the update. This is really sad. A second guy in a week that I remember from years ago has passed away. I bought a sword knot from him in the 80s and he had someone's Blakesley Quickloaders he was selling for a short time that I bought for my dad in the 90's.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Hate to hear this. Hank was an artist.
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Hallo!

I recall their stand at the end of Sutlers' Row at the N-SSA's Fort Shandoah.
        I still have a number of his leather goods, and still wear an 1885 campaign hat in the Modern World I got from him in 1976.

And my wife used to buy jewelry and tie tacks (for me) from the missus.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I share Kurt's remembrances of Hank at the NSSA Nationals, I still am wearing one of his campaign hats, and using leather accouterments that I purchased from him in the late 1970's. He did good work and has passed way too soon.
          Regards,

Phil Spaugy
          Union Guards
          Co. A
          19th Regiment
          Indiana Volunteer Infantry
          N-SSA

Comment

The best saddlemaker out there.....he will be missed. Small world story but he was the back door neighbor for my in-laws before I got involved in reenacting....never met him in person despite spending weeks next door...even retrieved plastic golf balls out of his back yard...
            RJ Samp
            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Very sad news! I have met Hank in 1998 he made excellen leatherwork. I still have an Burgess Holster from the 1980s my first piece of equipment!.
              I wonder what will happen to his workshop with the tools etc. Hank wasn't able to work for several years now.
              Its a real pitty. It was him who led my attention to details like "kit"( pitch used on thread) etc.
              Rest in peace and my condolence to his wife!!
              Jan H.Berger
              Hornist

German Mess
              http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Lads:

Please note my correction to my post. The excellent girths & surcingles that Hank made were NOT hand loomed wool, they were power loomed, as were the originals. There are many myths in this hobby and one of the most pernicious is that things were more "old-timey" than they actually were. Hank would NOT have wanted to be associated with perpetuating such myths. The error was mine. Hank did NOT claim they were hand loomed.

Sorry to hear but I hope at least now he is finally resting peacefully. I purchased some of my first living history goods from the fellow who owned the business before him, the actual Frank Burgess, in 1981. I still use the spurs and saber belt today. Hank purchased the business as well as the rights to the name in late 1987/early 1988 and I soon began doing business with Hank.

Hank pioneered some real improvements in the authenticity of reverse engineering of horse equipment. He was the first to come out with power loomed wool 1859 McClellan saddle girths and surcingles as well as correct resin "kit" for hand stitching as another poster has mentioned. He was also one of the first, if not the first, to offer "fair weather Christian" belts (1851 civil war saber belts that had been converted to accept metallic cartridges via cartridge loops sewn on) for pre-1877 Indian wars living history.

His wares were always based on meticulous research and his dealings were always scrupulous. His products have served me well from 125th Gettysburg in 1988 to 130th Little Big Horn in 2006. There is now a hole in the living history community by his absence but hopefully we'll meet again in Fiddler's Green.
                Last edited by Val E. Forge; 10-09-2009, 05:18 PM. Reason: Error in original post
                [SIZE="3"][FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"]Paul Andrew Milligan[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

A true artist who sweated the little things that made a difference.Hank shared his vast knowledge with others like Nick and Bill so we are still the receipients of his legacy.My sympathy to Janet and Noah.
                  Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Does anyone have Janet Kluin's snail mail so that condolences may be sent?
                    [SIZE="3"][FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"]Paul Andrew Milligan[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

I concur! I always liked doing business with Hank and Janet! I bought a M1857 holster for my colt Navy when I started this hobby and its still looks great! I have people ask me if its a Schrieber (sic) or other well known makers from the past and when I tell then "F. Burgess & Co." they seem amazed that he was making items that good! One of the saddest days for me was when he folded up shop, and he was about the only GOOD source for alot of Indian Wars Period items and that time period's living history has suffered greatly as a result. I guess the only thing sadder now is to know that a person who I very much enjoyed working with and respected has passed.

Chris Fischer
                      F-Troop

Comment

Working...
                      X