X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Family Members in the War

Eric,

Hello!

Here are some additional photos of my Great-Great Uncle Arthur Bond who was my Great-Great Grandfathers Brother. Everyone called Arthur “Major” because he held the rank of sergeant major according to a Baltimore Sun article August 27, 1927. The family photo looks like he was an officer and it appears he has on a red sash which would indicate artillery. The records and photos on Arthur are conflicting.

He did serve in the 1st Maryland Calvary, C.S.A on the staff of Col. Ridgley Brown.
    Attached Files
    Respectfully,
    Mark Bond
    [email]profbond@cox.net[/email]
    Federal Artillery

Comment

Photos of Sam Willson,
      1) With family about 1860
      2) Not long after the War, aged a lot
      3) In his final years
      Attached Files
      Joe Allport

[I]...harbors bushwhackers and bushwhacks himself occassionally...is a shoemaker and makes shoes for all the bushwhackers in the neighborhood.[/I]

Texas Ground Hornets
      Co. F, 1st Texas Infantry
      Shoemaker

Comment

Two 4X gr grandfathers (that I know of) in the war. Both from arounf the Marion/Taylor counties of now West Virginia.

CPT Alpheus Haymond of the 31st VA, CS. It is family history that he resigned his commission and went home about '63 because he lost som much of his command.

PVT Edgar Rosier 12th West Virginia Volunteer Infantry. The unit did outpost duty around northern West Viginia. He was a blacksmith and went to live with his son on a farm outside Grafton after the war and is buried on the farm. Several years ago some nice lady (an ancestor by marriage) sent me a picture of the grave.

Fritz Jacobs
        Fritz Jacobs
        CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
        [email]CPTFritz@aol.com[/email]

Comment

My great, great, great grandfather Aretas Turner and his brother George were in Co.D 27th NCT. Altogether I had 12 direct and indirect ancestors in Co.D of the 27th.
          Aretas was captured at Bristoe Station and sent to Old Capital Prison then to Point Lookout. He was exchanged then wounded in the spine at Burgess' Mill. He was the only known casualty of his regiment in that action. He was eventually discharged because of partial paralysis of the lower extremities. I have a copy of his medical discharge signed by the surgeons of the medical examining board of Heth's Division. I also have copies of his clothing issue receipts and and a letter written by him.
          George, his brother was shot in the hand at the Wilderness and was captured April 2nd, 1865 at Hatcher's Run. He was sent to Point Lookout and was released in June, 1865 after taking th oath of allegiance.
          I do not have pictures of the brothers.
          Andrew Turner
          Co.D 27th NCT
          Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Amazing. Tough ol' gal.

Death to all bushwackers, string 'em up!

Originally posted by hardtack1864 View Post
            Now Ann Marcum was never in a major battle, but she was the only women "at least in 1926" to be a FULL member of the GAR and here is her amazing story written by her.

JULIA ANN MARCUM
            Courtesy of the Kentucky Historical Society, Special Collections and Archives

Written at Williamsburg
            August 7, 1926

In Scott County, Tennessee (Huntsville, the County Seat), I was born in the year of 1844, the 7th day of November. My father and mother, Hiram C. Marcum and Permelia Huff Marcum, lived and owned a farm on the Waters Buffalo Creek four miles east of Huntsville, the county seat of Scott County.

Hiram C. Marcum was a son of Arthur Marcum and Ann Marcum. She was Ann Bransgrove. Father had four brothers: Joseph, John, William, and George and three sisters: Polly, Tabitha, and Invina. My mother (Permelia Huff Marcum) was a daughter of John and Prudence Christian Huff. The Huffs were descendents of England and Ireland, the Marcums of England.

Hiram and Permelia Marcum had five children, one son Clayburn; four daughters: Didama Minerva, Julia Ann, and Martha.

He was a farmer, lived on his farm made a living and was a happy, law abiding Christian man and also his family. He stood for the flag the freedom of America and its perfect laws.

In the year 1861, the south seceded against the North for slaves and bondage of slaves. Hiram Marcum was for freedom of our nation and its liberties for the people. In the year of 1861, the secedents declared war against the North. Father stood for the Union and its Principles. Then, the President declared was on the Southern States. The Confederates elected for themselves a president, then divided the nation and called out their army to fight the Northern people. Marcum stood for the Union. When they mustered their armies and their people became enraged toward each other, tried to kill and destroy each other and the Rebels invaded our County as there were but few Rebels in the County. They sent their armies there to kill and destroy our men, women and property. The came to our house and hunted for Marcum, watched night and day to kill him because he was a union man for the Federal side and threatened his family with death if we did not tell where he was. Then, on the 7th night of September, at 2 o'clock in the morning, 1861, the came to our house, broke the door open with bayonets on their guns and said there was 36 men around who had come to kill Marcum and would kill all the women and burn us all in the house. We began to holler and scream for help.

Just one soldier stayed in the house. We burned tallow candles at that day and time. There was but a small piece of candle and sister Didama got hold of a match and lighted it. He picked out at us with the bayonet on his gun and choked Mother. Didama ran upstairs to get another candle, he ran upstairs, grabbed hold of her and said he would cut her throat and burn us all in the house. She screamed for help. Father was hid out on the farm. He heard us calling for help. All the weapons that we had in the house were two chopping axes. Minerva got one and I the other one. Two men ran from the door just as I started upstairs. Minerva threw her ax down. I went on up. He struck at me with the bayonet on his gun, I ran under the gun and chopped him in the fact and breast with the ax, cut him to the hollow and split his chin open with the ax, getting the best of him. I knocked his gun from his hands. He staggered around the around and said, "don't chop me any more." But I did not stop. He got hold of the gun and struck the bayonet in my forehead, burst my skull, knocked my brains out, put out my left eye and shot my third finger off of my right hand. Father came up the stairs just as the gun fell out of his hands. Father shot him in the shoulder, he fell dead.

The light was knocked out. All was in darkness. I was knocked unconscious and didn't come to for some time. They got a light and brought me back to life. Father brought me downstairs, laid me on the bed took his gun and went out of the house, but all the rest of the Rebels had run off. Then I asked Father to leave for they would come back and kill him and he went away from home. The, Brother Clayburn went out to get somebody to come to our assistance. As he went, he found the horse the Rebel had ridden there in the lane. He got on it and rode to several houses and begged for help. He got one woman, Mrs. Taylor to come with him.

He turned the horse loose. It went back to camp a mile and daylight came. Mother sent Mrs. Taylor to tell the colonel of it and to come and take the old dead Rebel away from her house. Captain Gordon came with a company of soldiers, when he saw me, he sent back to the regiment for their doctors. They dressed my wounds and took the dead man away. We were left in a terrible fix to the mercy of the Rebels but they went away.

Mother sent and got Dr. Hart to care for me. He came and doctored me with all human care that was in him. It was three months before I was to get out of the house, but the war still continued. Brother was not strong. He could not take up arms. He was just fourteen years old. Then, Father came back home. Thought he could stay with us, but the Rebels still cam and camped there and destroyed all we had. They came back and shot at me. Came near killing me. Then they shot and killed George Marcum, a cousin of mine, right by me. He was a Union soldier. The drove us away from our house January 1862. We traveled through the snow and mountains to Kentucky, went to Green River in Casey County.

Father went and joined the Federal Army. He was attached to the Thirteenth and East Tennessee Cavalry under Colonel James Doughly and then he started on the march to the sea. He got as far as Nashville, Tennessee, while there he took the small pox and died. He is buried in the National Cemetery. His body lies with thousands of his comrades of the dead.

We stayed on Green River for some time and then we went to Flat Lick in Pulaski County, Ky. Mother died just at the close of the war. She is buried at the Flat Lick Church. Then Sister Didama married Dr. Lafayette Sproule, Minerva married Albert Wolford; a brother of General Wolford; Brother Clayburn H. Marcum married Emma Brown of Casey County, Ky.; Martha E. Marcum married John Ford. All my sisters, sister-in-law, brother and brother-in-law are all dead. I am still here yet to enjoy the great blessings of life and God's love.

When the war closed, I went back to Tennessee and stayed. Went to school and taught school for twelve years. Then my health broke down from the wounds that I received from the Rebel soldier so that I could not teach anymore and in the year of "84 I sent my petition up to Congress and asked Congress to grant me a pension for I could not work for a living; so I put it before the house in October 15, 1885. The passed a special act granting me a pension during my life of $30.00 per month. In September 1922, the increased it to $40.00, so I am the only woman in the United States that draws a pension without the aid of a soldier. No other one like unto it. It is glad tidings to me to be remembered.

I am the only woman that is a full member of the Grand Army of the Republic of America. I am a full member of the G.A.R. Thomas Buchanon, Post No. 123 Williamsburg, Ky. I have met with G.A.R. for many years, but most all have passed beyond the river of life. Have been a member of the church seventy years. Prepare every day. Nothing between me and God when night comes.

A true story of my war experiences,

Miss Julia A. Marcum

Williamsburg, KY.
            James Rice
            Co. H, 2nd Florida
            [i]"Tell General Hancock that I have done him and you all an injury which I shall regret as long as I live."~ Brig.Gen. Lewis Armistead, CSA[/i]

Comment

Here is a photograph of my great, great granduncle Merida Queen. Merida was a private in Company B, 6th GA Cavalry Regiment. He is pictured with his wife Elizabeth.

Roy Queen
              Attached Files

Comment

Well, thought I'd throw in a few of my ancestors' names. So here goes.

GG Grandfather, Corporal James Holden Jackson, Company C. 27th Tenn Inf., Captured at Corinth while on picket. Sent to prison in St. Louis. Took Oath and went back to Tenn, checked on family and then, like a good honest Tennessean, joined Company H, 31st Tenn.

GG Grandfather, Morris, do not know unit or much about him. He rode a mule to the battle of Shiloh, and fought out the war, but thats all I know.

GG Grandfather James Stewart, Co. H, 31st Tenn.

The following are Great, Great, Great Uncles and GGGG Uncles.

Lt. William Witherspoon, Co. L, 7th Tenn Cav

Sgt. John Witherspoon, 10th Tenn Cav

Albert Weatherspoon (apparently these 3 were cousins, but for some crazy reason, one side spelled it one way, and the other side spelled it another way), Co F, 42nd Tenn Inf.

Sam Brown, 48th Tenn. Captured at Fort Donelson, died at Jefferson Barracks Prison, and is still buried there.

There are 4 0r 5 more, just cannot remember there names.
                [B]Justin Morris[/B]
                [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
                "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

The first pic taken from home movies of my Gr Grandfather & Gr Grandmother. They lived in Flomaton, Alabama and I remember visiting them when I was 5 -6 years old. Gr Grandfather's, or "pawpaw" as he was called, father was Peter Holmes Cheatham. Peter was a private in the 33rd Alabama Infantry and fought with Cleburne at Franklin.

I wish I had the presence of mind to ask about his daddy's war experiences.

The second pic is of my gr gr uncle, William Findley Cheatham, he was a private in the 17th Alabama Infantry.

I'm related to CS General Ben Cheatham in a roundabout way as well.

Greg Starbuck
                  Attached Files
                  The brave respect the brave. The brave
                  Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
                  That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
                  And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

I thought I had posted on this thread way back when, guess it was lost in the big crash

My GGG-Grandfather David Vroman enlisted in the 15th O.V.I. , Co. D and was out on disability in three months. He gave two sons, Henry David, 101st O.V.I; died December 1863 and Jonas B. ,15TH O.V.I. ; Died August,1864.

GGG-Grandfather Jesse McCracken, was a 100 days man in the 136th O.N.G.

GGG-Grandfather Zephaniah H. Crain enlisted in the 10th Indiana Infantry, Company B "Crawfordsville Guard" at the age of 41. He was wounded on the left wrist at Mill Springs, and lost an eye at the battle of Perryville, charging up Peters Hill. A comrade had taken hold of a branch during the charge and it came back in Zephaniah's eye.

My Confederate Grandfather, William David Lee was born in Alabama, 1844. The family moved to Hardin County, Tennessee around 1859 near Olive Hill. In December 1861 he traveled to Henderson Station and enlisted in Company B, 52nd Tennessee Infantry. His company along with Company C were given a good report in Chalmers after action report. The rest of the regiment ran. He was made Corporal on April 12, and lost it a month later when they were consolidated with the 51st Tenn. He was at Perryville and was wounded during the charge of Donelson's Brigade on the Round Forest at Murfreesboro. He later was a member of Biffle's 19th (9th) Tennessee Cavalry.

David Lee's image
                    Last edited by boozie; 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Grandad Wm. David Lee
                    52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                    - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Re: Family Members in the War

Great Grandfather John Yearby-4th Mississippi Infantry
                      GG Grandfather William Yearby-30th Mississippi Infantry
                      GG Grandfather Robert Williams-20th Texas Infantry
                      GG Grandfather Isiah McClure28th Texas Dismounted Cav
                      GG Grandfather Joel Smith-36th Arkansas Infantry
                      Tom Yearby
                      Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Felix Cole- 21st Battalion Virginia Infantry, Co F. April 5, 1862, 34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry "Witcher's Nighthawks" Co C/E June 2, 1862.

Joshua Cole- 21st Battalion Virginia Infantry, Co F. April 5, 1862, 34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry " Witcher's Nighthawks", Co C/E June 2, 1862

Andrew Cole- 34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry "Witcher's Nighthawks", Co C/E

Moses Mullins- 34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry "Witcher's Nighthawks", Co C/E, paroled at Charleston May 30, 1865.

David Matney- 22nd Virginia Cavalry, Bowen's Regiment Virginia Mounted Riflemen, 3rd Corps, Co. B

Jeremiah Davis- 39th Kentucky Mounted Infantry, Co. I (Union)

Adam Davis- 39th Kentucky Mounted Infantry, Co. I (Union)
                        Justin Connor

Comment

One of my ancestors is the infamous Manson Sherril Jolly of Anderson County SC. He was a Sergeant in the 7th SC Cavalry. He was one of 6 brothers, one of who had a colorful name, Freeman Liberty Jolly. He also had some sisters if memory serves. He was noted for his firey temper and red hair. 4 of his 6 brothers were killed in the war, and Freeman killed himself shortly after. He vowed to kill 100 yankees for the suffering of his family and for years after the war raided Federal outposts and killed men and threw them in his well. In the 1990's that well was discovered with remains of an unknown number of people in it. You can Google his name and find all sorts of things. There is even a film made about him called "Unbridled Justice."
                          He is known even today in that county as the Robin Hood of SC. After threats towards his mother and sister he fled to Texas, got married, and died in a river crossing accident leaving his wife 5 months pregnant. She had a daughter, Eva I believe, and Manse's grandchildren apparently still reside in LA County.
                          My other ancestors were members of the 33rd ALA. Benjamin O. Lewis was one of their names. He survives all four years of the war.

Brandon Jolly
                          Attached Files
                          V/R
                          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

• Re: Update

Originally posted by Darrell Cochran View Post
                            G-G-Grandfather Pvt. Nathan Cockram (sic), enlisted in 50th VA Infantry CSA in April 1862 and served until captured with Johnson's Brigade at Spotsylvania on May 10, 1864. POW at Point Lookout, then Elmira, then back to Point Lookout and finally sent to Venus Point at Savannah, where he died on Nov. 26, 1864 and is buried in the Laurel Grove Cemetery in Savannah. Now most of this information I got from the National Archives except for the part about his being in Savannah and his death and burial there - that came from John Chapla's book on the 50th VA. Someday if the Lord spares me I plan to travel to Savannah to visit his grave if it's really there.
                            I made it. In January 2005 when West Virginia played Florida State in the Gator Bowl, my brother and I flew into Savannah and drove to Jacksonville, making a side trip to the Laurel Grove Cemetery. The caretaker in the office pulled out his book and gave us the section and row numbers, and there he is. An emotional moment to say the least.
                            "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
                            Third U.S. Regular Infantry
                            http://buffsticks.us

Comment

My GGG Grandfather, Grean P. Hanks, was from Booneville/Cane Hill Arkansas and he served with the 61st Illinois Volunteer Infantry. His records showed that he was a returning veteran when the 61st was formed. He rose to the rank of 1st Sergeant of Company A and then was promoted to Captain of Company A. Green P. served at Shiloh, Vicksburg, Resaca, Kennesaw Mountain, Atlanta, Jonesboro, and Bentonville. He was part of the regiment that served with "Uncle Billy" on the march to the sea. He recieved a wound to the hip that troubled him for the rest of his life. He returned to Johnson, Arkansas and was the post master there as well as being the Pastor of a Baptist Church in Fayetteville, Arkansas. His family was not terribly impressed with him deciding to fight for the Union and his mother did not forgive him until he was in his 70's. She came to a tent revival that he was preaching at. She listened to his service then came forward afterward and forgave him. Green P's son, Wilbur Hanks, served under "Black Jack" Pershing in the Punitive Expedition of 1916. I just returned from Shiloh, were I walked every bit of ground that I could that he was on during the battle. It was quite an experience. one other interesting note is that I look like Green P. When I do my Confederate impressions, my father tells me that Green P. would be rolling in his grave.

My other GGG Grandfather, John B. Lillard, served as a private in the 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry (Lillards). They fought from First Manassas until their surrender as part of Jefferson Davis' contingent.

Of the other Hanks in my family that served there were these,

Benjamin K. Hanks, Private, Rivers Arkansas Light Artillery Battery
                              Ira M. Hanks, Private, Company H, 3rd Arkansas Infantry ANV
                              James M. Hanks, Private, Company K, 3rd Arkansas Infantry ANV
                              M.T. Hanks, Private, Company E, 18th Arkansas Infantry
                              W. L. Hanks, Private, Company H, 15th Arkansas Infantry (Northwest)
                              William D. Hanks, Sergeant, Company H, 15th Arkansas Infantry (Northwest)

Several of the above fought at Pea Ridge in Morgan's Woods.

There are more Hanks from my family from Illinois but I am not finished with my research to provide their information.
                              Matthew S. Laird
                              [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                              [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                              Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                              [/COLOR]
                              [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

No direct relation that I know of, that fought in ACW,
                                but I have a cousin that fought in the 9th Ohio vol infantry,
                                " der Niner", coy F. John Prechtel.

Mustered in as a private, was a 90 day wonder,
                                and was at Rich Mountain. Then re-volunteered when trhe 9th re-organized,
                                and fought at Perryville, and in the Atlanta campaign, where I believe he was wounded,
                                and was mustered out. Then joined some kind of veteran reserve corps, until 1865.
                                He was mustered out of the 9th a corporal.

Since our family is mostly from Indiana, not sure if he was from there
                                and migrated to Ohio, as there's some Prechtel's from the Cleveland area also.
                                Jeff Prechtel

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
                                -Cezanne

Comment

Working...
                                X