Family Members in the War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Family Members in the War

Thus far, my family has only been able to locate two ancestors with Civil War service. I don't have access to the service and pension records in my family's possesion at the moment, so here is what I can remember off the top of my head.

Halvor O. Brenden
    Company E, 15th Wisconsin Infantry
    Halvor enlisted in December of 1861. He was wounded at Chickamauga in 1863 and again at Pickett's Mill in 1864. He was honorably discharged when his enlistment expired in December of 1864.

Andreas O. Krogstad
    Company E, 2nd Minnesota Infantry
    Andreas' service is a recent find by my father. I'm not sure of the details of his service beyond the fact that he joined the army as a substitue in late 1864. After he left the army he suffered from chronic fatigue and pains for the remainder of his life. If I'm not mistaken, in one of his pension affidavites, he attributed these pains to the rigors of campaign life and carrying a knapsack during his short time in the army.

These are the only two veterans I am aware of in my family. However, I'm always on the look out for more.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Peter N. Olsen[/FONT]

Comment

Paternal Ancestors:

Great-Great Grandfather Peter Anderton, enlisted Aug 1861 Co. A 37th Tennessee Infantry (The Coffey County Greys), CSA, died of disease Dec. 1861 before he ever saw battle.

Maternal Ancestors:

Great Grand Uncles Harrison and Charles Bull, 124th New York Volunteer Infantry (The Orange Blossoms). Enlisted Sept. 1862, fought at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Harrison was wounded on the last day of the pursuit of Lee from Penn., and sent to the Invalid Corps, Charles fought all through Grant's Virginia Campaign, and was promoted to Corporal. Discharged June 1865

Great Grand Uncle Harrison Fagala, 39th Georgia Infantry, captured at Vicksburg, parolled, wounded at Missionary Ridge, deserted.
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Thomas Billings, Bridgeton, N.J., Third Delaware, then First Delaware. Sat out the summer of 1863 and was listed as a deserter, but he was back in the fall and then re-enlisted with the First Delaware in 1864. Great Grandfather, mother's side.

William Torpes, Irish immigrant, Walker's Forge, N.J. enlisted August 1861 7th NJVI, served with them until captured at Barker's Mill, Va. June 12/16 somewhere in there, 1864. Spent the summer in Andersonville and the fall in Florence, was shipped north with several thousand other Union POWs in December 1864 and spent a couple of months in hospital at Camp Parole, Annapolis, Md. Since his enlistment had expired, they made him pay for the boat ride up from Charleston.... but they kept him at Camp Parole until he was recuperated. Although he wasn't. He had been wounded three times during the war, including Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and the Wilderness, all relatively minor, but got fever at Andersonville and never completely recovered from that, being subject to dizzy spells until his death. He attempted to resume work as a sailor after the war, but after he fell out of the topsail of a 90-foot mast, no one would take him on. (He went through the galley roof on that occasion, fall cushioned by 1" oak planks. Ouch.) Spent the rest of his life as a day laborer and got a pension of $4 bucks a month for his troubles. Reparations, Hmmm. Great grandfather, father's side.

John Torpes, great-great uncle, william's brother, enlisted summer of 1862 and was sent home rather rapidly. While he did not part his hair in the middle, the photo that we think is him shows a rather wilted and wan young man with a real purty smile.

We have found a carte de visite of an officer amongst other old family things, and think it might be a John Watson 23rd NJVI, from a branch of the Watson clan that my father always swore vehemently we were NOT related to. Not sure what that was about, but these Scottish feud things can go back to something that happened under Robert the Bruce....

Bill, second warning. Please sign all of your posts with your full name - Mike Chapman
        Last edited by billwatson; 02-17-2004, 08:18 AM. Reason: autosignature
        Bill Watson
        Stroudsburg

Comment

Many of my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary war-at least 10 of them, but oddly enough, the generations worked out that there was hardly anyone of the correct age for the Civil War. Just one that I can find, my GGgrandfather, Martin Vanderburgh,of Co A, 9th NY Heavy Artillery,and also the 2nd NY Heavy Artillery. He had a cousin of the same name (which confused me for a time) in Co. G, 168th Regt NY State Vol. Inf.

Doug Price
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 58 lorenz; 02-16-2004, 10:02 PM.

Comment

My family had one ancestor in the Civil War that we are sure of.

Jacob Given Ratliff pvt. 31st Va Inf. Later show up on the rosters of the 62nd Mt. Va. Inf.
            We were at a family reunion in Fairmont Wva about a year ago, and my dads 2nd or 3rd cousin or so remembers "grandpa" at the time of his funeral. She remembers as a young child walking up to his coffin which at that time she also remembers was a simple box and recalled seeing a blue "X" draped across him. During his funeral she had no clue what that was and still had no idea until my dad told her. haha. His grandson who was also at the reunion remembered see a long scar down the length of his forearm. He never knew if that was a bayonet scar or from a logging accident since he was a logger in southern Wva at the turn of the century.
            I know it kind of goes off topic but its a pretty cool story.
            Here attached is also a turn of the century image of Jacob Ratliff in a logging camp with his youngest son.
            Attached Files
            Isaac Forman

Comment

Here's two of my Paternal relatives:

1) Colonel & Reverend James Hipkins McNeill, 5th NC Cavalry (63rd NCT) McNeill was educated at Princeton and Yale and held various national theological positions in the Presbyterian Church prior to the war. He married Minerva Ruffin of Baltimore, Maryland, and had a parish in Newark, NJ, when the war broke out. He traveled back to Cumberland County, NC, and raised and equiped his own cavalry company serving under the Partisan Rangers Act until 1862. Upon the great consolidation of 1862, his company became Co A, 5th NCC. He was promoted to Major and in that capacity was wounded charging through Middleburg, Virginia, prior to Gettysburg. McNeill returned to his post and was later promoted to Colonel of the reg't and served through the 1864 campaign. He was killed leading his men dismounted across the Chamberlain Run Creek March 31, 1865, one day before the breakthrough at Five Forks. His men fondly remembered him for preaching every Sunday in his vestments (over his officer's uniform). He was often called "the fighting preacher". His body was recovered by his men before recrossing the creek but it wasn't until 1901 when his revolver, sword and belt were returned to the Governor of NC by the Ohio officer who found them. He is buried in Cross Creek Cemetery in Fayetteville, NC.

2) Pvt. George McNeill Rose, Co C VMI Corps of Cadets & later 1Lt. & Adj., 66th NCT. George attended VMI and participated in the Battle of New Market where the Cadets distinguished themselves and made American history. He must have gotten a taste for combat as he left VMI shortly thereafter and enlisted as 1st Lt and Adj. of the 66th NCT stationed along the NC coast. He participated in the Carolinas Campaign as part of Kirkland's Brigade, Hoke's Division and fought at Bentonville. At war's end, he was 18 and supposedly one of the youngest officers in the army.

Interesting reading everone's history!

Thomas Mc(Neill) Rose III
              PLHA

Comment

Family tradition has it that my paternal g-g-grandfather, Thomas Benton Hoskins, enlisted at age 21 in the Missouri State Guard and served in the '61 campaign. Unfortunately, I have been unable to officially confirm this. He is not listed in any of the recent publications about the MSG. However, being from Cole County, he would have been in Parson's Division and I understand that the muster rolls for that unit are incomplete. Based on the birth dates of his children, he would have come home in the late fall of 1861 or January of 1862 - about the time that the MSG was asked to transfer to Confederate service.

David D. Rains, a cousin from Morgan Co., MO., was mustered into the 6th Mo. Cavalry at St. Louis on Dec. 26, 1862. He was stationed for awhile at Helena, AR and mustered out in New Orleans, LA on Sept. 12, 1865.

Another cousin, James Rains, enlisted at a private in Co. B, 48th Mo. Vol. Inf. at High Post, Moniteau Co., MO. on Aug. 17, 1864. His Captain was William Franklin. He was discharged in Chicago, IL on March 21, 1865. This was a six-month regiment whose service consisted mostly of guard duty in Tennessee and at Camp Douglas.

My maternal g-g-grandfather, Charles T. Jones, enlisted in Co. B of the 14th Arkansas Inf. on July 13, 1861 with his brother Seborn. His other brothers, James and William C.N.B., enlisted in Co. K. I believe this is the same regiment that served under Hebert in the Leetown phase of the Battle of Pea Ridge. During the summer of 1862, the regiment was in Mississippi, at which point the Jones boys unilaterally discharged themselves and returned to Arkansas. They later enlisted in a cavalry regiment. Members of the 1st Arkansas cavalry killed their father and one of the brothers in March of 1865, shortly after hiding the family livestock in the woods.

My maternal g-g-uncle, James J. Akard, enlisted in the Home Guard (Polk or Cedar Co.) during the summer of 1861. He later became a lieutenant in the 8th Cavalry, Missouri State Militia and was then promoted to Captain of Co. A and led it through the end of the war. He is mentioned several times in the O.R.s (one is a rather embarrassing reference to the behavior of his troops during a scout from Forsyth, Mo. to Batesville, AR). He was part of Sanborn's brigade that intercepted Price during his '64 raid and was wounded while skirmishing along the Moreau outside of Jefferson City. He survived the war, was elected to the state legislature for two terms and served as county clerk and sheriff of Polk Co., Mo. His biography in Goodspeed's History of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade and Barton Counties describes him as "a member of the G.A.R. and, politically, a staunch Republican." Capt. Akard had his tintype taken at Greenfield, MO. on August 10, 1863 - it is one of my most treasured possessions.

Although not in the military, a paternal uncle, Whitley Fowler, was a Judge in Cole County. He was imprisoned for two years in Springfield, MO. for alleged southern sympathies. The house that he built in the 1840's is still standing south of Jefferson City and is owned by cousins.

On my wife's side of the family, we have g-g-uncle that was a member of the Enrolled Missouri Militia (US) from Warren Co., another g-g-uncle that was in the Missouri Brigade (CS). Her g-g-grandfather J.R. Hereford, was imprisoned at the Gratiot Street Prison for "making seditious speeches." However, he was a doctor and was swiftly released. His friend, Robert Graham, a Confederate veteran, gave him a hand carved cradle that is still in use and rotated through the family with each new birth.

Charles D. Hoskins
                Charles D. Hoskins
                [URL="http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com"]http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com[/URL]
                [URL="http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/"]http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/[/URL]
                Member, Company of Military Historians
                Member, CWPT
                Washington Historical Society
                Board Member, MCWRA

Comment

G-G-Grandfather on my Mom's side (maiden name Cockrell) Francis M. Cockrell, Capt., Col., Bgdr. Gen. Wilson's Creek, Vicksburg - 2nd Mo. Bowens Div. Surrendered and Exchanged (there's a monument in his honor on the north side near stockade Redan), Franklin - Ectors Bgde. French's Div. (wounded), Battle of Atlanta, French's Bgde.
                  He was a Senator from Mo. for several terms, served on President Theodore Roosevelt's administration, and was one of four Democrat candidates for President in 1904. Died in 1913.

I have found several Reids serving both North and South. One James Franklin Reid in the 9th Texas Fannin, Co., but not sure about the direct relationship.

- Jay Reid
                  9th texas
                  Jay Reid

Comment

I had at least nineteen ancestors (all C.S.) mostly in Georgia units with a couple from Tennessee and Texas.

Many years ago I was lucky enough to stumble upun a journal written by one of my g-grandfather's messmates. This is the source that I quote so often. One of the wonderful things about this journal is that it goes into things that my ancestor would probably never tell.

Example (Gettysburg campaign):
                    "Some of the men went upstairs in a barn (this was in Maryland) and there they found 30 barrels of brandy hidden there, that is where they found the brandy to get drunk on. They knocked the head out of one barrel and by some means turned it over and it poured out on John Teat, one of our company G and it made him very drunk as he had not drunk anything. I know that he was wet from head to foot with apple brandy and was very drunk."

Hatcher's Run:
                    " We drove the enemy by charging them. Wm. T. Sharpe, of our company, lost his leg by a minie ball passing through his knee. John Teat, John Miller, Eli Everett, and I put him on a blanket and brought him off the field. He was 100 yards in front of the line when shot, the regiment falling back. I had a ball pass through my hat in the fight and, while bringing Sharpe off, a ball went through my shoe sole, cutting it entirely in two from side to side."
                    Marlin Teat
                    [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Most of my great-grand pappies were on another continent when the war happened, but...

My son's great-great-great-grandfather was Colonel of the 1st VA Cav (after Stuart and Mosby went on to great things):

William Augustine Morgan: Born in the Fairfax County on 33/30/31; enlisted as a soldier to 4/18/61 in the company F; commisioned to Captain on 7/1/61; then to major to 10/2/62; lt colonel on 7/16/63; and finally colonel of the regiment on 5/14/64. He was promoted to Brigade commander 11/10/64; He escaped from the capture with Appomattox; died to 2/14/99; lost 14 horses in battle during the war!

By the way, if there is anyone who has access to the Confederate Veteran library, I'd really appreciate a copy of the article written on Morgan. I don't have a date or issue number, but I know that an article was written.
                      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Folks,
                        Without getting too detailed as to who did what and where, here is a list of gents from my Family (which arrived here originally from Scotland in 1820 under that name "MacIrvine" and settled in Lancaster,PA) that served on both sides during the War. The folks who stayed in the North and who went West over the next few decades of the 1800's dropped the "a" and the "e" and the name became "McIrvin." Those who went South only dropped the "a", hence the name "McIrvine."

Major Samuel McIrvin, 2nd New York Cavalry
                        Pvt. Charles McIrvin, 111th Pennsylvania Infantry
                        Pvt.John McIrvin, 1st Kansas Infantry
                        Pvt.William Smith McIrvin, 1st Washington Territory Infantry

Sgt. John McIrvine, 44th Mississippi Infantry
                        Pvt. Stephen McIrvine, 44th Mississippi Infantry
                        Pvt. Robert McIrvine, 44th Mississippi Infantry

Cheers,
                        Larry McIrvin

Comment

Within the last 4 yrs or so I discovered through a cousin that we had a relative in the 3rd PA Reserves, 32nd Regiment. Lewis D. (B?) McFarland, Co. F. I have copies of his final muster papers that indicate he was killed at Fredericksburg, Dec. 13. The papers say he was a Corporal, but in other searches on the internet on the 3rd Res. they say he was a private. So far I've only been able to search at the Nat'l Cemetery at the battlefield but he's not listed there. He was originally from Chester Co. PA, but enlisted in Easton. My wife and I have visited the family graves near Pottstown but he isn't there. My next search will be the Archives in D.C. Heck, he may be in an unknown grave for all I know. His service record will hopefully shed light on the situation. The search is still on!

regards,
                          Rob McFarland
                          Last edited by 2MDF&D; 02-17-2004, 12:35 PM.

Comment

G-G-Grandfather Pvt. Granville Begley, enlisted in 8th KY Infantry US in September 1861, served in the Perryville, Tullahoma, Stones River, Chickamauga and Chattanooga campaigns, was a member of Company I that was among the first to reach the summit of Lookout Mountain. The most interesting thing that I found in his record was a statement from his January 1863 muster showing that he'd been charged $1.62 1/2 "for shelter tent lost." Having served 20 years in the 20th Century Army I'm well acquainted with the "statement of charges" and every time I think of Great-Great-Grandpappy getting stuck for his tent it makes me smile ... The more things change, the more they stay the same.

G-G-Grandfather Pvt. Nathan Cockram (sic), enlisted in 50th VA Infantry CSA in April 1862 and served until captured with Johnson's Brigade at Spotsylvania on May 10, 1864. POW at Point Lookout, then Elmira, then back to Point Lookout and finally sent to Venus Point at Savannah, where he died on Nov. 26, 1864 and is buried in the Laurel Grove Cemetery in Savannah. Now most of this information I got from the National Archives except for the part about his being in Savannah and his death and burial there - that came from John Chapla's book on the 50th VA. Someday if the Lord spares me I plan to travel to Savannah to visit his grave if it's really there.
                            "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
                            Third U.S. Regular Infantry
                            http://buffsticks.us

Comment

Well the White and Atters ancestors were all in the 39th GA Inf. I had some ancestors Whites and Keowns in the 23rd GA and 6th GA Cav. Also on the Atters side was an uncle who was a Captain in the 15th NW Arkansas. Then my Hays Ancestor was in the 25th NC and then deserted and joined the 8th TN US Cav.

Lee
                              Lee White
                              Researcher and Historian
                              "Delenda Est Carthago"
                              "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Let's see:

GrGrGrGrandfather Pvt Elbert Sims - Hardwicke Mounted Rifles (later 7th Georgia Cav.) Captured Dec. 6, 1864 Pembroke, Ga. Died Pt. Lookout, MD

GrGrGr Uncle Sgt. Clinton Sims, 25th Georgia Infantry, wounded Chickamauga
                                died three days later, interred unknown

GrGrGr Uncle Pvt. John A. Chinnis, 13th Battalion, NC Light Artillery, Surrendered Appomattox,VA Paroled Greensboro, NC

GrGrGr Uncle Daniel Chinnis, 7th Battalion NC Junior Reserves
                                [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
                                Palmetto Living History Association
                                [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
                                October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Working...
                                X