Family Members in the War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Family Members in the War

My g-g-grandfather was Charles G. Williams from the 1st NY (Lincoln) Cavalry. He lied about his age in the winter of 1864, saying that he was 18, when he was really 16. From what I have gathered thus far, the only reason why he went into the Cavalry was because he lived on horse farm in upper Manhatten and he knew how to ride, so the Army put him into the Cavalry. He saw action only once, the day before the battle of New Market. His unit was abushed the night before the battle with him recieving a wound to the head. Some reports say that he was hit in the head by a saber, others say that a mini-ball grazed his head. He was caputured and sent directly to Andersonville Prison and arrived there on May 28th. He was held in the prison until it was closed, luckily surviving. He contracted scurvy, ruhmatics, and dissentary while there, then he was moved to Salsbury Prison where he escaped. He mustered out at Camp Chase Ohio in August of '65. A cousin of mine has an NCO sword (scabbard and all) that he aquired somewhere on his journies. No one in our family has a clue where he got it. There are no reports of him being promoted or taking it for a trophy. My cousin also has a picture of him in his later years with his GAR uniform on with his medal blazing away.

Comment

Sgt. Richard Bright Parker, Co. A, 27 North Carolina Troops (Goldsboro Rifles)
      Roll of Honor, Appomattox Court House

Master John Yates Beall, CSN
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Grandfathers and uncles, husbands and brothers....

Private Calvin L. Stewart, Company "K," 33rd Ohio VI. Wounded left shoulder and captured Chickamauga, Sept. 19-20, 1863. Died at Andersonville, July 18, 1864.

Private James B. Stewart, Company "I," 180th OVI. "One Year man."

Private William F. Stewart, Company "G," 135th OVI. Enlisted May 2, 1864, Camp Chase, OH. Mustered out September 1, 1864, owing the government:
        "one Knapsack, one Canteen, Camp and Garrison Equipage" valued at $2.26.

Private James Bell, Company "I," 62nd OVI. Died of disease in 18th Corps Field Hospital, outside of Richmond.

5th Sergeant (General Guide) James M. Bell, Company "K," 33rd Iowa VI. Enlisted Oskaloosa, Iowa August 7, 1862. Promoted to 5th Segt, September 21, 1863. "Reduced to the ranks" January 7, 1865 as a result of Department of Arkansas order that each company have one sergeant to every 16 privates.
        Mustered out July 17, 1865 and paid $24.92 the difference between sergeant and private pay since his last pay.

Private James H. Bell, Company "E," 13th OVI. Enlisted September 10, 1861. Mustered out at end of three year term, Atlanta, GA, September 12, 1864. Clothing account last settled June 30, 1863, drew $35.44 since, received $1.60 due. Also received unpaid $100 bounty.

Private Ebenezer Bell, Company "C," 122nd OVI. Wounded, May 6, 1864 at the Wilderness. Minie ball passing under left ear and through the neck. Returned to duty after deserting, and was sent to the Ambulance Corps, Sept. 1864 through May 1865.

Sergeant John M. Bell, Company "G," 97th OVI. Wounded slightly November 24, 1863. Killed November 25, 1863 at Mission, Tenn. (Chattanooga).

1st Sergeant Alexander Bell, Company "C," 122nd OVI. Wounded in left hand at Locust Grove, Nov. 1863. Lost a finger at the Wilderness.

Private Jacob Shuman, Company "D," 63rd OVI. Enlisted October 26, 1861. Cook. Mustered out July 8, 1865. His clothing account was last settled December 31st, 1863 but he received $75.98 since- so nothing was coming to him. He was fined $2.50 for "one Bayonet."

Private Andrew Miller, Company "M," 12th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Enlisted Philadelphia, March 5, 1862. Appointed corporal June 1, 1863. Resigned position while at hospital in Martins Ferry, VA "not wanting to be responsible for other men's lives." Voted for McClellan in the 1864 election, "much to the disgust and disgrace of the regiment." Wounded March 1865, mustered out soon after on March 6, 1865. Died of wounds in May, 1865 leaving a wife and a four year old daughter.

Private John Milton, 97th OVI. Shot in the forehead charging Missionary Ridge, and killed.

Joseph McCracken tried to enlist in Drakeville, Iowa but failed to pass the "physical inspection."

Captain Theodore Blakeley, Company "B," 58th PA VI. Killed Sept. 29, 1864 storming Fort Harrison (Chapin's Farm). The color bearer had fallen, and Blakeley snatched up the flag to rally his company. As he yelled out, a Minie went through his mouth and out the back of his head, killing him instantly. His 29 year old wife Elizabeth and three children (ages 9, 8, and 3) received a widow's pension in 1864 increased to $20 a month in 1873. She died November 1919 six days after her last pension payment of $25. Their house on Walnut St. in Philadelphia is still there.

Corporal Edward Blakeley, Company "D," 63rd OVI. Enlisted October 9, 1861 and was made a teamster. On July 21, 1864 he was near the county courthouse of Decatur GA with the odd 1600 wagons of four Union corps.
        A Confederate attack caused a mad dash to flee with the wagons, and Blakeley was shot through the right arm shattering the bone above the right elbow. The arm was amputated at a field hospital. He was mustered out after "recovering" on November 11, 1864. Unable to return to farming, and depressed over his brother Theodore's death, he committed suicide on October 18, 1867.

Private John Miller, Company "B," 77th OVI. Enlisted February 11, 1864.
        Was captured April 25, 1864 at Marks Mill, Arkansas while guarding a supply train for Pine Bluff. Died of chronic diarrhea, Sept 9, 1864, Camp Tyler, Texas. Left a wife, Sally and three children ages 4, 3, and 1. She received $30 a month widow benefit and $12 a month for herself. Sally last collected her $12 December 4, 1911 and died January 17, 1912.

There are some ten more, but I am tired of typing. ;-)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
        Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 02-21-2004, 09:32 PM.
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Burke
          I had another ggg grandfather in the 1st Ohio Heavy Artillery, but I don't have nearly as much information on him.
          Eric,

Please contact me privately, lindatrent@zoomnet.net my great grandfather served in the 1st Ohio Heavy Artillery (formerly the 117th OVI). I have a book about the regminent written by one of the members, and I can search it for you and see if I can find anything for ya on him. My great grandpa was in Co. G, do you know which company yours was from, and/or what county he served from?

Yes, I said Great Grandfather! And now I'm feeling old at 42 :-)

Thanks,

Linda
          Linda Trent
          Last edited by ; 02-22-2004, 10:36 AM.

Comment

My G-G-Grandfather, Robert F. Peek. Served in the 25th TN Infantry (CS), then in the 9th TN Cavalry. After Morgan's little jaunt through Indiana and Ohio I kinda lose track of him...I'm trying to find out if he was captured and sat out the rest of the war as a prisoner or if he made it back south, and if so what happened to him after that. I found his grave in the cemetery for the old Confederate Veterans' Home in Pee Wee Valley, KY, but it's just a flat stone with his date of death on it. Gotta do some more diggin'. (well, figuratively, of course. :D ) I'm also looking forward to checking into my Mom's side of the family now. They were around Asheville, NC at the time.
            Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

Col. J.C. Owens, killed in Picketts charge while in command of the 9th Va.

Quinton Overman, killed at Sharpsburg and buried in a common grave. Grimes Battery.

Willie McIlwain, Holcomb Legion, died at Elmira.

Lemuel Mayo, USN, died in Portsmouth in 1866, killed in shipyard fall but I think he was pushed for being a yankee from Portsmouth.

Half a dozen others who lived to return and pick up the pieces under reconstruction.
              Jim Mayo
              Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

My G-G-G-Grandfather was Obadiah Samuel Crouch. He had moved to the Kanawha Valley of West(ern) Virginia prior to the war. When war broke out he returned to his native Bedford County Virginia to enlist. He became a private with the 28th Virginia Infantry Company G , Patty Layne Rifles.

Here's what I have on him so far.
                "Crouch, Obadiah: Co. G; (4/27/61); Chestnut Fork, farmer, Pvt.; deserted 7/15/62, rejoined 11/15/62; deserted 5/12/64.

After the war (or at least after he thought his service was up) he returned to his farm on the Coal River near present day Tornado, WV. In 1864 it was firmly under Union control. Our family worked the farm and worked at a local mill until just after the Depression.

I'm 90% sure this was his brother. Just a little more home work to do.
                Crouch, Charles VA 60th Inf. Co.A

One of these fellows is a GGG Uncle. Still more homework.
                Crouch, William D. VA 58th Inf. Co.K
                Crouch, William D. VA Lt.Arty. Kirkpatrick's Co.

Matt Crouch
                [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=4]Matt Crouch[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue][I]All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners... Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they're not learning, they're not growing... not moving toward excellence. [/I][/COLOR] [B]Denis Waitley [/B]

Comment

On my father's side a GGGrandfather: Pvt (later Cpl) George A. Toothaker, Co K, 20th Maine, we have his records, but nothing survived as far as we know about letters, experiences, etc. My father met him when he was a very young boy in the late '20s. At that time the family still had some of his uniform items. Slightly wounded as far as my father remembers, got a pension.

On my mother's side a GGGrandfather: Cpl (later Sgt) James W. Hayward, Co B, 11th Maine.

YOS,

DJM
                  Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
                  (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

My Osborn Family Lines have many interesting members, but this is Civil War so I can't get into that.

Heres a few (That I know of),
                    Osborn side

Thomas Osborn, 49th Indiana Infantry Regiment, Company "G"
                    He enter the war as a musician and soon came there Quartermaster Seargent. Thomas wass effected with Typhiod, by bad potatoes given to the regiment in 1864. The Unit fought in the Vicksburg Campaign and hung around in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Georgia for the rest of the war.

Nathan Osborn, 48th or 51st North Carolina
                    Im still researching him so no details.

:wink_smil Richard Taylor, Commander of the "Louisiana Tigers" untill 1862, then was commishined commander of the Louisana - Texas region.

Comment

My family hired a friend of the family to work on our family history.

In an update received today, the friend has said that a descendant of mine, which was the son of a prominent Missouri judge, may have fought with Marmaduke in the war. Details pending.

In the same update, it has been uncovered that a descendant from Tennessee may have been a Federal. Details not yet available.

Comment

Maternal ancestors:

Pvt. John Rorabaugh - Co. G, 12th PA Reserves (41st Inftry) re-enlisted as a Veteran Volunteer in '64 with the 190th PA.. Captured at the Battle of Globe Tavern and died in Salisbury (NC) prison.

Pvt. John J. Rohrbaugh - Co. I, 11th PA Cavalry

My research is ongoing as it appears a few from this end of the family migrated to what became WVA and served in a Federal regiment raised in that area.

Paternal Ancestors:

All in one company of regiment to make it easy on future generations.

2nd LT. Jacob Diehl - Co. D, 166th PA Inftry
                        Pvt. John F. Lau - Co. D, 166th PA Inftry
                        Pvt. Peter H. Lau - Co. D, 166th PA Inftry

Amazingly, to me at least, only the first ancestor failed to survive their service.

Comment

So far just 27 men from Maine who fought from south Texas to Virginia. From Reg't Surgeons to privates, nothing special, just hard working men who fought for what they believed was right. Some died on the battlefield, some died of disease far from home. Others sent home crippled and mangled. Others returned home without wounds but their war time horrors scarred them the rest of their lives. The color of the uniform, the color of the skin really didnt matter to these young men. Mostly it was the thrill, the sense of duty to country and community, and just doing what they thought was right at the time. They had a sense of pride, brotherhood, dignity and sense of honor after the smoke cleared from the last shot, and as they grew older and the hair and beard turned white they would tell their grandchildren about their involvement in the war. The worse part is not alot of folks listen to them.
                          As I think of my own military career I wonder will history repeat itself?
                          Dusty Lind
                          Running Discharge Mess
                          Texas Rifles
                          BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Quite a few family members who served, all in Ohio Regiments. Most didn't accomplish too much. One however is fairly interesting.

My G-G-Grandfather, John Frazier Ripley, Private, 51st Ohio, Company E (I think) according to family tradition, served in 5 major engagements, and several skirmishes.

Upon actually doing some research, I found that my G-G-Grandfather was actually sick during some engagements, becoming sick with dysentery a few weeks before the events, then becoming "better" a few weeks later, only to have the cycle repeat. He was finally discharged and admitted into the Veteran Reserve Corps. to fufill his obligation.

Another relative apparently left the Army with his haversack, canteen, and rifle-I have copies of the paperwork. Sure wish I could find out what happened to them!

William Ripley

Comment

My great-great grandfather, James H. Jackson, served in Co. H, 31st Tn Inf
                              Then several great-great-great uncles were as follows
                              William Witherspoon, Lt, Co L, 7th Tenn. Cav., under Forrest
                              John Witherspoon, Sgt., Co. I, 10th Tenn. Cav, under Forrest
                              Now also a relation to the Witherspoons, but from a different part of Tennessee, so the name is spelled different
                              Albert Weatherspoon, Pvt, Co. F, 42nd Tenn Inf.
                              Pokie Murphree, Pvt, Co I, 10th Tenn. Cav
                              Sam Brown, Pvt, 48th Tenn, Voorhies, captured at Fort Donelson, died 4 weeks later in St. Louis and is buried in Jefferson Barracks Natl. Cemt.
                              James Stewart, Pvt, 31st Tenn. Inf.

Justin Morris
                              [B]Justin Morris[/B]
                              [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
                              "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

If I may suggest a great website for such geanology work.
                                Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
                                You type in a last name and shows all the records they have (Over 3 million now) of "Smith" or "Doe" that fought, or did some kid nof service. This gives you something to start with. It also has their unit, rank in and out, and a basic outline of what the unit did (A brief unit history). As I said, this is just something to start with. I know in my family (atleast on one side) it started from one man, so everyone with Stebbins as a last name is related. But that does'nt happen with everyone.

Just a starter link I've used.

Stubs

Comment

Working...
                                X