• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Family Members in the War

Armisted Scott
    Cpl.4th VA Militia
    Bounty Hunter.
    Conchinchious(sic)objector
    He would sometimes let the men he was after get away.
    B:July 27,1843
    D:July 20,1920
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Here is my family history in the Civil War:

John Wesley Swick (Great-great-great-grandfather) - Joined the 3rd Ohio Independent Company Sharpshooters which eventually became Co K, 66th Illinois Vol Inf. He was joined by a brother-in-law and two cousins.

Martin Swick (Cousin to John Wesley) - Co I, 126th Ohio. Mortally wounded at Spotsylvania Court House. His reg't was on the ridge directly opposite the tree that was felled with small arms fire during the battle. He was shot through the left shoulder with the ball exiting from the front. He died in Alexandria and is buried in Alexandria National Cemetery.

There are also a ton of other Swick family members that served but those are the two that I know most about.

v/r
      Brent Reidenbach
      v/r
      Brent Reidenbach
      Co I, 47th Virginia
      "The Stafford Guards"

Comment

I am a descendant (rather distant) of James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok. He served the Union as a scout, so yes this is CW related!

My g-g-g-g grandfather Wm P. Ball had an adopted son named John Ball. He enlisted in the famous 1st Minnesota Vols. and later served as captain of Company F. At the Battle of Bristoe Station he fired his pistol at the approaching rebels and then flung the empty weapon at them. The Johnnies fired back and John had one of his testicles shot away. So, as luck would have it, his name was John Ball and he only had...one ball. After recovering from his wound Ball became Colonel of the 11th Minnesota.

He even has his own web page:

A g-g-g-g uncle served for a few months as a lieutenant in Co. M, 10th Illinois Cavalry. After being captured and paroled by guerillas, he decided he'd had enough and went home. He was dismissed from the service and later lied on his pension application. No, they weren't all heroes.
        Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

Some of my other Civil War ancestors include:

Name Regiment/Co Enlisted Age Rank Service Record

Jacob Richard Coon 63 OVI, Co. B 10/15/1861 28 Pvt. Discharged 3/7/63, Disability

William Coon 36 OVI, Co. E 8/13/1861 24 Pvt. Killed at Battle of Chickamauga, 9/19/1863

Samual C. Stainbrook 31 OVI, Co. D 9/05/1861 38 (Steinbrook) Wagonier Discharged 4/9/36, Disability

Joseph Stainbrook 31 OVI, Co. D 9/05/1861 30 Pvt. (Steinbrook) Killed at Battle of Chickamauga, 9/19/1863

Thomas McVay 40 OVI, Co. B 9/17/1861 18 Sgt. Died of Disease at Piketon, KY, 4/21/1862

Luther McVay 40 OVI, Co. B 9/17/1861 25 Pvt. Mustered out 10/7/1864 at Atlanta at end of enlistment term

Hugh McVay 55 Ill. Inf. Co. K 10/22/1861 Pvt.
          Enlisted at Herman, Ill., discharged for disability 5/29/1862

Robert McVay 55 Ill. Inf. Co. K 10/22/1861 Pvt. Enlisted at Herman, Ill., promotedCpl. 5/1/1862, Sgt. 7/1/1862, severely wounded at Vicksburg, Miss. 5/19/1863, transferred to Veterans Reserve Corps 7/15/1864

Benson McVay 88 OVI, Co. K 3/22/1865 18 Pvt. Mustered out with company 7/3/65

Daniel V. Smith 192 OVI, Co. G 2/10/1865 20 Pvt. Died of Disease at Camp Chase Columbus, Ohio, 3/4/1865

William Moeller 28 OVI, Co. A 8/23/1862 20 Pvt. Mustered out with battalion 7/6/1865

There is a Robert H. McVay, age 22, listed as a Corporal in Company B 40th OVI
          Camp Chase Fifes & Drums

Comment

Walter Franklin Chapman, born July 3, 1833 in Caroline County, VA. He resigned a cushy job as postmaster of Baylor's Mills/Baylortown (now part of Fort A.P. Hill) October 27, 1860 to enlist 3/10/1862 in Company B of the 9th VA Cavalry (the "Caroline Light Dragoons"). POW Hanover Courthouse, 6/30/1863; paroled 3/3/1864; POW Beaver Dam Station 5/9/64; released 6/14/1865. After the war, relocated to Missouri to be with his family. Named his son "Lee" after the commander of the 9th, Fitzhugh Lee. Died around 1876, likely in Crawford County, MO where his father and brothers and sisters had moved before the war.

Reuben Chapman, Walter Frank's younger brother, born around 1840, enlisted in 5th Missouri (CS), company E. Died about 1864 of measles. :baring_te

Alexander Campbell Chapman, named for the great Reformation preacher, born Sep. 26, 1842. Served in perhaps two Arkansas units, including the 27th Ark. Cavalry. No information about his war record, but met an Alabama girl, married her, and relocated to Texas, where he died October 1, 1912.

John Thomas Adams, husband of Mary Frances Chapman, sister to the above three Chapmans, born around 1837 in Gasconade County, MO. Served in Company C of the 5th Missouri, believed to have been killed at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in 1864. Mary Frances and his son, Eugene, ended up in Kemp, TX, near her brother, Alexander Campbell.

Ironic, considering most of y'all probably assume I'm a Yankee because of always being asked to raise clots of blue troops. The only Yankee on my side belongs to my wife's family, Charles T.G. Ruley, who served in the uneventful Washington defenses as part of the 2nd PA Heavy Artillery until "Butcher" Grant stripped the capitol of its troops and the 2nd became the 112th PVI. Ruley was wounded during the Petersburg campaign, crippling his health (I believe he contracted Typhoid Fever). His application for a pension, as well as his mother's and then his widow's attempts, were all turned down by the bureaucrats in Washington as "not war-related." He and his wife are buried in now-unmarked graves in Philadelphia cemeteries.
            Bill Cross
            The Rowdy Pards

Comment

A really nice post here. Itis nice to read about others family members who served i the war.

Here are some of mine:
              Paternal Line:

2nd G Grandfather Wilson Shiver Jr. Sgt. Bonaud's Battalion GA Vol. Died two weeks after coming home in May '65
              Great Grandfather: James D. Segraves Scoggins Battery, Griffin Light Artillery
              Great Grand Uncle: Henry C. Seagraves, Scoggins Battery, Griffin Light Artillery
              2nd great granduncle: John W. Shivers, Co A, 13th GA, wounded twice Sharpsburg, wounded again and captured Cedar Creek, POW Point Lookout, MD.
              2nd great granduncle James Shivers, Scoggins Battery Griffin Light Artillery
              3rd great granduncle: John Moore, 50th GA, captured Winchester, POW Point Lookout, MD..
              3rd great granduncle: James Moore, 50th GA, captured Winchester, POW Point Lookout, MD.

Maternal Line:

2nd G grandfather: Zach Haddock, Co K. 2nd FL Cav
              2nd g granduncle: G.W. Haddock, Co. K, 2nd FL Cav
              2nd g granduncle: D. Vanzant. Co K 2nd FL Cav, Killed '62 St. Mary's River
              2nd g granduncle: W. Vanzant, Co K, 2nd FL Cav
              2nd g granducle : M.E.L. Blackburn, 7th GA Cav, captured POW Elmira, died there
              2nd g granduncle: A. Colson, Sgt. CO B 1st FL Cav, wounded and POW Missionary Ridge, TN.
              3rd G granduncle: LTG. W.J. Hardee AOT

All that I can remember of the top of my head. While doing my family history several years, had a total of 32 g'grandfather and g'granduncles who fought during the war. Have not attempted to do a list on the cousins.

Comment

Two maternal g-g grandfathers fought for the Union.

Archibald ("Arch") Scott of Waveland, IN enlisted as a private in the 10th Indiana Vol. Infantry in August 1861 - one of the original 75,000 "ninety day men." Fought at Rich Mountain (W) Virginia. Returned home after 90 days and enlisted in the 43rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry and was selected as Corporal. With th 43rd IVI, he participated in the action at New Madrid, MO and Island #10. The 43rd was garrisoned at Ft. Pillow for a while. It participated in Hovey's Expedition to Yazoo Pass and fought in the Battle of Helena, AK. Arch Scott was mustered out in 1865 and went home and married the widow of his best friend who died in his arms at Rich Mountain when both were memebers of the 10th IVI. His friend's last words were a plea for Arch to go home and care for his wife, which Arch did.

Gravener Martin Call of Ferndale, IN enlisted in the 71st Indiana Volunteers at age 35 as a private. At the time, he was married with 4 children and was a farmer. He enlisted for the $300 bounty offered at the time. The 71st IVI was mustered into Federal service on August 11, 1862 and was immediately rushed to Kentucky where they defended against Kirby Smith's Confederate invasion. The 71st made a valiant stand - for soldiers ten days in the army - but were captured mostly en masse after losing their commanding officer on the field of combat. Paroled and sent home, the 71st IVI returned to KY in late 1862 to gurad the Louisville & Nashvill RR. The 71st was again captured almost en masse at Muldraugh Hill, KY by John Hunt Morgan's Cavalry on their "Christmas Raid" of 1862-63. Paroled again, the 71st returned to Indianapolis. In August 1863 they were reorganized and mounted as the 6th Indiana Cavalry. The 6th was sent to Knoxville to defend against Longstreet's Seige of that city in the early winter of 1863. In the Spring of 1864, the 6th was attached to Stoneman's Cavalry Division which was attached to the Federal XXIII Corps. The 6th participated in the entire Atlanta Campaign - notably capturing Lost Mountain between Kennesaw and Dallas, GA from the Confederates in June 1864. The 6th was part of Stoneman's disasterous raid on Macon, GA in August 1864 that resulted in the capture of General Stoneman, the brigade commander, Col. James Biddle, and most of their sister unit, the Fifth Indiana Cavalry. Most of the Sixth cut thier way out of being surrounded by CS cavalry and made their way back to Federal lines in Atlanta. Following Atlanta, they moved to Nashville with Thomas' Army and fought at both Franklin and Nashville (dismounted). Gravener M. Call suffered a rare form of night blindness around Christmas 1864 while encamped at Edgefield, TN - just across the river from downtown Nashville. It was recently determined that this form of blindness was brought on by diet - specifically prolonged absence of green vegetables. Gravener M. Call was mustered out as a private at Pulaski, TN in June 1865 and returned to the family farm in Ferndale, IN. Much of his later life was spent in pursuing a government pension of $8 monthly for his deteriorating eyesight. He was finally granted a pension in 1872. He died in 1888.
                Mike Ventura
                Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Mine is a very simple list...but the research continues:

Private Simon Morris, Co G. 78th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

Died of Disease April 14,1863 General Hospital, Jefferson Barracks, Missouri.
                  Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                  Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                  Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

As far as I can tell, I only have two direct ancestors who served:
                    Cpl. Milton Schaeffer Company A, 128th P.V.I.
                    William Griffith - regiment unsure, but most-likely the 167 Pennsylvania Drafted Militia. Oral family history says he served, but there were at least 3 William Griffiths who served during the rebellion from Berks County, Penna. :-( I just haven't nailed him down as yet.

The rest are collateral ancestors and I won't break them down as to Maternal or Paternal for personal reasons :sarcastic

Cpl. Martin Wicklein - Battery M, 5th U.S.Artillery
                    Pvt. William M. Hawk - 6th P.V.I.
                    Pvt. William M. Houch - Company D, 12th PRVC
                    Pvt William M. Hoch - Co. D, 2nd U.S.VV (Hancock's Veterans)

Yes, the last three are the same gentleman. What a nightmare HE was to research! Apparently he couldn't spell his own name until he hit the Veteran Volunteers. But he had yet another surprise waiting for me . . . he was burried under the name High (the English equivalent of the German Hoch)! Only found him because my Great Aunt Verna used to clean house for him when she was a child and always referred to him as "Uncle High."

Speaking of which, she told me a great story that he had told her to explain his deafness:

When he was serving in the 12th Reserves during the Battle of Antietam, his regiment was ordered to lie prone after it was learned that a battery of Light 12PDRs had gone into battery a few yards behind them. The battery's fire was to be cannister in order to drive the Rebels into the cornfield whic lay in the 12th's front. Well, old Uncle High decided that the sight of staring derned-near right down the barrels of a few Napoleons as they fired double-shotted cannister was just too much to miss. In order to get a good eyefull of the spectacle he rolled himself up onto his side and propped his head up on his right arm so as to get the best view of the fiery, smoking death that was spewing from the bronze Hell behind him. Yes, he was 100% Pennsylvania Dutch. After he satisfied his curiousity, he returned to his previous posture of face-down and hands over ears. "Well," he said to my Aunt, "after a while my buddies started kicking the H&LL out of me for no d@mned reason! I jumped up and started to lay into them something fierce! They soon set me straight though." As it turned out, they had been given the command to rise up and he was the only one who hadn't. His friends around him saw his lack of response and started to give him the boot to see if he had been killed while laying there. Uncle High took the kicking in the only fashion that made sense to him, and that was an unprovoked attack and defended himself. What he soon found out was that his unique approach to artillery investigation had rewarded him with blown-out eardrums. He had never heard the command to rise up and continued to lay there until his pards gave him a few kicks. He finished the battle unscathed, save for some bloody ears that hurt like h&llfire for a few days. He was soon removed from the ranks and given the post of wagoner in the company. I suppose this job didn't need the ability to hear, just swear oaths loudly and creatively. This last quality seemed to be a specialty of his according to my Great Aunt.

True or not - it is a story that I still get a chuckle out of. . .

After he was mustered-out of the 12th Reserves, he enlisted in the 2nd United States Veteran Volunteers (not to be confused with the VRC) and spent the next few years guarding the docks in New York. This never made any sense to me - a guard who was deaf as a stump? He must have only been posted during the day at a position where his eyes were more important than his ears. :confused_ He finished out his working days helping to build bridges for the Philadelphia and Reading R.R. and living the rest of them in his house near St. Joseph's Hospital in Reading, PA. I grew up reading his Soldier's Memorial, which hung in my Aunt's house until she passed to glory a few years ago.
                    Mark A. Pflum
                    Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
                    Member:
                    CMH
                    AHA
                    Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Aha, so Craig is a 3rd generation nancy boy, eh!?
                      I realize this was a long time back, but I just visited my User CP and realized the well-founded negative reputation marks I got for this comment. I wanted to personally apologize to Craig Solomon for a completely immature remark on my part. It was originally meant as a friendly joke, but this is not the place for that kind of thing, and I'm sincerely sorry.
                      [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
                      [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
                      [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
                      [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
                      [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
                      [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
                      [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
                      [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
                      [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
                      [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
                      [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
                      [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
                      [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
                      [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
                      [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Comment

Dietrich Conrad Smith

This info is in regards to my g-g-g-g uncle Dietrich Conrad Smith who was with the 8th Illinois INfantry from Tazwell Cty, Ill. HE was 2nd Lt. of Company I and wounded at Shiloh. I have access to considerable amounts of research, but here is a link to a summary history:

Regards,
                        Jim Butler
                        The SRR
                        Jim Butler

Comment

US--
                          James B. Cross (great-great-grandfather), private, Company B, 11th Tenn. Cav. US, enlisted Camp Nelson Kentucky, August 15, 1863 at age 39, AWOL Feb. 29, 1864, deserted at Wyerman's Mills Feb. 20, 1864. Restored to duty by order of commander with loss of pay from Feb. 18, 1864, to August 27. Nov. and Dec. 1864 on duty guarding post commissary. Jan. 1865 Absent. Evidently the 11th TN Cav US was considered one of thy more worthless units in the federal army, after having all of their horses stolen near Cumberland Gap, and a large number of the men being AWOL a good bit of the time, probably taking care of family. After the war Cross got into a bit of trouble in Knoxville, possibly concerning a murder. Abandoned family, changed name, moved to Texas, remarried without benefit of divorce. Buried in an unmarked grave. Both widows contested to get the widow's benefit and in the paperwork we also learn that he was part American Indian, probably Cherokee, and his distinguishing mark was that part of his nose had been bitten off in a fight. Unfortunately, no photographs survive. BTW, our line comes from the first family which also later moved to Texas...three times.

CS--
                          William B. Gary (1840-1862), great-grandmother's brother, private, enlisted 32nd Texas Cavalry at Linden, TX, died of typhoid fever at Tupelo, Mississippi.

A. G. Gary (1843-1863), great-grandmother's brother, private, enlisted 32nd Texas Cavalry at Linden, TX, killed at Chickamauga, Sept. 20, 1863.

The Gary family had moved to Cass County, TX in the winter of 1859/1860 from Conecuh Co., AL. The boys' grandfather Gary is buried outside of Greenville, AL in Butler Co. in an area he had helped to pioneer. It's interesting to note that the only branch of the family to lose sons was also the only slaveholding branch.

All Southern, but both sides of the war.

Vicki Betts
                          vbetts@gower.net

Comment

Originally posted by Delhi Rangers
                            Let me add a personal story about my ancestors that served in the 15th Ga Regt. from my original post. This story has been passed down through generations and I heard it from the granddaughter of one the the original members of Co. A.
                            Here goes:
                            " In 1861 when the war started, the Delhi Rangers (Co. A) were among the first to leave Wilkes and Lincoln County, Ga.The mother of the Pullen brothers was named Polly. James H. Willis (grandfather of the lady that told the story) was leaving with the Rangers and Polly asked him to watch over the boys, as they were very shy and would not know how to look after themselves. She said that she had planted a twig in the Pullen Cemetery, one for each son and if one of her boys died she would know, because the twig planted for him would also die. As the legend goes, as each boy died, so died the twig. Elijah M. Pullen was wounded at Garnett's Farm and later died of his wounds in 1862. John M. Pullen died while on sick furlough in 1864. William G. Pullen was wounded at Chickamauga (1863), captured at Dandridge, Tn (1864) and sent to Rock Island, Ill. prison. He was released in June 1865 but never returned home." The old cemetery still exists in Wilkes Co. The surviving sibling left Georgia after the war ended with his family during the night with the federal cavalry on his heels. They made the three week trip in an cart pulled by oxen and relocated to Alabama. That is where we have been every since.
                            Hello Johnny Pullen. I'm a re-enactor from Virginia who has been searching for records of my relatives in Georgia Regiments. The reason I'm contacting you is that I noticed in your post that your forebearer was buried in Wilkes County.

I'm a direct descendant of the Seals family from Wilkes County. All I know is 4 of the brothers, Felton, Enoch, James, and David fought in the War in Georgia regiments, and that at least two of them are buried in the cemetary at Wilkes County. Is there any information, or sources you could direct me to so I can conduct a proper search for their information. Right now, I only have a hand-typed copy of their genealogy with a small amount of information.

Anything you could provide would be appreciated....thanks.....S.B.Dunn

Comment

My great-granfather, Issac Santmeyer, served in the 49th Virginia from First Manassas to Gettysburg. His official date of enlistment was July 17, 1861, but that was when the Warren Blues, his company, became Company D (later Co. E) of the 49th. The Warren Blues were organized at Front Royal, Va in June of 1861.

He participated in the engagements of First Manassas, Yorktown, Seven Pines, Savage Station, Frayser's Farm, Harper's Ferry, Fredericksburg, and Gettysburg. He was captured on the retreat from Gettysburg, and spent time at Ft. Delaware, Ft. McHenry, and Point Lookout. He was exchanged in February of 1865, and spend the remainder of the war "in a Richmond hospital".

The reason he is my great-grandfather, and not my great-great grandfather, is because he married again in later life and had a daughter (my grandmother) when most men his age would have been grandfathers to a small child.
                              Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
                              Elverson, PA

Comment

-August Haseley, my g-g-g-g-grandfather served with the 26th New York Cav. Company K. Enlisted in February 24th 1865. His unit was stationed at Fort Porter. Unit lost three to disease. His grandfather fought with Napoelons Army in 1812.
                                - Fredrick Haseley, August's brother fought in the same unit.
                                Both came home from the war and Did not join GAR.

That only the few that i found on one side of my family
                                Still searching and finding :D
                                Waylon Pashong
                                hardtack61

For one to be authentic, One has to ask others

I'll tetch 'em together quicker'n lightnin,if I don't, dad burn

Comment

Working...
                                X