Family Members in the War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Family Members in the War

My G-G-Grandfather Joseph Charlton enlisted in the then forming 3rd US Cavalry in the summer of 1861. When the Regular Army's mounted regiments were all redesignated as "Cavalry" the new regiment was redesignated as the 6th US.

Charlton served in company "F". He was wounded on the third day of the Battle of Gettysburg, taking a pistol ball to the chest and a saber wound to his hand during the fighting at Fairfield, PA. He was discharged the following summer with a Surgeon's Certificate of Disability. Finding that he missed the life of a soldier, 6 weeks later he hid his injuries and his prior service and enlisted in company "G" of the 14th PA Cavalry. In Dec. '64 Charlton was captured near Millwood, VA and held prisoner until February of '65. He returned to the regiment until he was mustered out on May 30th.

Like many veterans Charlton suffered from what we would call "post traumatic stress" today. Of course back then it was not something that was diagnosed or treated. His wife's application for a widow's pension notes that at night he would think he was back in the war. He died in an asylum suffering from dementia, very much a casualty of a war that ended 19 years earlier.

A more detailed essay that I put together on Charlton's service is at: http://suvcw.org/pr/art026.htm

Regards,

Mike Nugent

Comment

I thought I'd bump this great thread back up to the top. My ancestors:

Maternal:
      Great grandfather Charles Lanslot Loux. Enlisted at Valparaiso, Indiana into the 99th Indiana Regiment, Co. C, as a corporal. Fought all through the battles in the western theater, including Shermans' March on Atlanta. Distinguished service. Mustererd out as a Sergeant 1st Class, then commissioned to Full Lieutenant, 2nd class on May 1, 1865. On June 5, 1865 in Washington D.C., was finally seperated from the army. Helped found the GAR post in Westmoreleand, KS and is buried there by the GAR marker.

Paternal:
      Three brothers, John Henry (a great grandfather), Samuel and Jacob Nading (listed on regimental roles as 'Neading') served in 1865 with the 152nd Illinois Infantry, Company F. Mustered out on Sep. 11, 1865 at Memphis, Tenn.

I also had ancestors in the Confederate Tennessee units, with the last name of Scott, from the area of Nixon, Tenn.

Bill Scott

Comment

G-G-G Granfather, Joshua Oliver, served as a private,

86th Ohio Infantry 60 day regt.

Co I, 2nd Ohio Heavy Artillery

2nd Minnesota Cavalry.

Right now, thats the only information I have, as the family geneologist hasnt really gotten the service record and I haven't the time due to work to really do any work on it.

I also have two alleged cousins in Co B, 35th Tennessee Infantry (CS) and am still working to confirm that one.
        Robert W. Hughes
        Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
        Thrasher Mess
        Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
        ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
        Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
        And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

G-G-Grandfather
          John Peters enlisted in Co. C 33rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry in 1862.
          Went to the National Archives in '02 and pulled his paperwork.
          He was wounded at the battle of Nashville on Dec. 15 1864.
          Wound to the left elbow, arm not amputated. Had very little use of the arm for the rest of his life.
          Discharged in June of '65.
          Left the army with his knapsack and canteen (no idea what happened to them... :baring_te )
          Group photo of him with his GAR camp hangs on my wall at home.

Sam Lowe
          Botsford Mess
          Sam Lowe
          Sally Port Mess
          Western Rifles

Aut Viam invenium aut faciam

Comment

G-G-Grandfather
            Jesse g. Wells inlisted in the 6th Tennessee infantry regiment co.g usa in Nashville in April of 1862. He's the only ancestor i have records of. His first battle wouldnt be until 1864 at Resaca. With a wierd twist to it, that was my first federal reenactment. He was promoted to corporal later in the war. He fought throughout Shermans march through Georgia and the battles for Nashville.

Ben Taylor
            37th Ga co.i
            Hardees guard battalion

Comment

Great x 4 Uncle - Lt. Dietrich Conrad Smith - 8th Illinois Infantry
              Info at:

Jim Butler
              Jim Butler

Comment

Two great-great-grandfathers fought for the Confederacy.

Robert Sanford Bowers, 4th NC
                Calvin Spry, 57th NC

Here's the information as I have it (some is taken directly from my Grandmother, who is related to both men's widows and actually spoke to them):

Robert Bowers enlisted into Co. H, 4th NC at Iredell County, NC on March 1, 1862. He was 26 years of age. He was admitted to Chimborazo Hospital No. 4 on November 28, 1862 for a condition listed as "Orchitis". This is known as a swelling of the testicals. Upon being transferred to Danville, Va CSA General Hospital on December 19th, he "bailed" from that place on December 31st. At this point he must have rejoined his unit, because he became wounded in the left forearm on May 1, 1863, Chancellorsville, VA. Recouperating at 3rd Division General Hospital, Camp Winder, Va, he received clothing twice: May 18th and November 18th. He was detailed as a Guard. From January 1864 to April 1864, he was attached to the Salisbury Guard. He received pay of $ 51.25 ( that's 11.00 per month plus 7.25 for extra duty pay. He would be sent to Stuart Hospital, Richmond, VA in June of 64, contracted Chron. Diarrhea in July, and was transferred Camp Winder again in August. Received clothing again at Stuart, and also clothing received twice at Winder in 1864. Now I must tell you all the while he was a Guard, he was wounded. This is because having been shot in the forearm, the bullet lodged in his wrist, and he carried the bullet with him until he passed the life in 1900.

It is assumed that anytime during his "known" record he would be with his unit in combat unless the record specified otherwise. He does not appear on any parolee list, and as far as is known, never signed an oath of allegiance.

Calvin Spry enlisted in the Co. H, 57th NC at Rowan County, NC on July 4th, 1862. He was from Davie County, and was also 26 years of age. He was absent without leave on September 18, 1862. He returned to his unit in October 62 and would be present at roll call every time until July 2, 1863. A minie bullet hit his knee on this date, and he was listed as Missing in Action, which would change to AWOL until November 1864, when he "magically" became Present in his unit. During this time his name had appeared on a Prisoner list at General Hospital, Chester, PA on July 31, 1863. He remained with his unit until Petersburg, where he was captured on March 25th, sent to City Point, VA on March 28, 1865 and from there, sent to Point Lookout, MD. He would sign an Oath on June 19th, 1865 and was freed. He died in 1901.

Now it may suprise you, but there are no photographs extant of these two men. However, I can tell you what they looked like. Robert Bowers was 1/4 Cherokee Indian, his mother having been Half-Cherokee. Calvin Spry had a Dark Complexion, Black Hair, Blue Eyes, and was 5 feet 1 1/4 inches tall.

Each man after the war would produce a child that would grow up and marry one another. Robert Bower's widow would go to live with her daughter in 1900. She would live until 1948, having been the age of 12 in 1862. My grandmother was born in 1915 and truly lost no love for this woman. It was Mrs. Bowers who related most of the information about these two men to my Grandmother, augmented of course by soldier records.
                William Lee Vanderburg
                26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
                Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

My GGGrandfather turned 17 at the Battle Of Gettysburg...what a birthday present. I was thinking when I turned 17, I was at baseball camp. You know, I really could not imagine until OIF II....Anyway, Dallas Crabtree, 28th North Carolina Infantry buried in Holmes County, Mississippi.

Comment

My great great grandfather, George Washington Wilkerson, of Granville Co., NC joined the 56 VA and was part of Garnet's Brigade and was killed in Pickett's charge. We have his picture and a small short sword that belonged to him. In the picture we have, one can see the resemblance to our oldest son. My great grandfather, his son, was born shortly after his father died.

I did have other relatives that fought for the Confederacy but don't have their names offhand.
                    Virginia Mescher
                    vmescher@vt.edu
                    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Great-Great Grandfather, Henry Dabney who was a free mulatto farmer was conscripted by his white cousin, R.G. Boisseau to work for Captain Charles H. Dimmock of the Confederate Engineer Corps. His conscription date was August 11, 1864.

Great-Great Uncle Ben Dabney, brother of above, was also a free mulatto farmer who was conscripted by his white cousin, R.G. Boisseau to also work for Dimmock and was conscripted same date.
                      Sincerely,
                      Emmanuel Dabney
                      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                      http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Great-Great Grandfather
                        Brinkley Byrum served in Co. A, 1st NCST. After the Seven Days battles around Richmond, he managed to avoid all major engagements until March 27, 1863. While on picket duty along the Rappahannock River near Skinker's Neck, he and a few others from his company crossed the river and surrendered to the 1st Penn. Cav. He spent the rest of the war in Old Capitol Prison in Washington. After the war, he immediately moved to Philadelphia, where he married my Great-Great Grandmother.

Eric
                        Eric J. Mink
                        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

During my research of my families CW history I have uncovered dozens of Confederate ancestors mostly in Tennessee and Alabama ( since I'm at work I don't have time to list). I also uncovered 4 Federal scouts from Northern Alabama, one was my 6th grt. grandfather Jacob Kennemer, grandson of the first white male born in Jackson Co. Alabama. But an interesting fact I found discovered was the story of my 5th grt grandfather Pvt. James A. White Co. I 8th Tennessee calvary CSA and my 6th grt.grandfather Pvt. James Arledge 2nd Tennesse calvary ( later 4th Tenn. calvary Starnes/McLemores).

Both men enlisted in mid 1862 in the Sequatchie Valley, outside of Chattanooga,never knowing each other. Both were invoved in several skirmishes ( per pension records ) under the leadership of Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest. In December both found themselves involved in Gen.Forrest first great West Tennessee raid culminating in the battle of Parkers Crossroads. James White was shot thru the chin and below the left shoulder from behind "I was shot coming and going" ( per pension record). Presumably in the midst of "charging them both ways"-Gen. Forrest. James Arledge fought hard but escaped unharmed with his command, fighting with the AoT until the end of the war. Both men met finally after the war back in the Sequatchie Valley realizing they'd seen the "elephant" for the first time, the same day. They were attending the wedding of Mr. Arledge's son to Mr. White's daughter, a marriage that resulted in the birth of my great grandmother. It's interesting what you can find!
                          " In memory of my families patriots stories, that I have yet to uncover "
                          Eric N. Harley-Brown
                          Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

My Great, Great, Great Uncle John Washington Kellum enlisted in May of '61 in Co. E 3rd Florida Infantry. According to his pension records he was wounded five times (quoting the records " head, left side , thigh and two others that were slight"). He later received a pension of $150.00 per month from the State of Florida as he was determined to be totally disabled, physically and mentally and suffering from "Meloncholiac Insanity". One of the wounds was received at Chickamauga and he was sent to La Grange to a hospital. According to muster rolls he was captured near Perryville, Ky and later exchanged. I remember my grandmother telling me as a child that he was captured a second time and taken to Camp Douglas, Il where he escaped and was found hiding in a well. The muster rolls confirmed this account and he remained at Camp Douglas until he was paroled in June of '65. My grandmother also told me of his homecoming. He walked from Camp Douglas to his farm near New River, Fl and when he arrived the family ran to greet him. My grandmother told me that he ordered them away because he was covered with lice and that he burned his clothes before allowing the family near him. I am very proud of my Uncle's service to the Confederate States.
                            Respectfully Submitted,
                            Charles Kevin Traxler
                            "You may find me one day dead in a ditch. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass" Trooper M. Padgett

Comment

While researching my family history, I've discovered alot of Civil War and Revolutionary War veterans. Here are some of them:

Francis Marion Waters Company H 7th TN Mounted Infantry (US)
                              Jeptha Patterson 5th TN Mounted Infantry (US)
                              Andrew Jackson Hughes Company B 65th GA Infantry
                              Merida Queen 6th GA Cavalry
                              John Queen 6th GA Cavalry
                              Moses Queen 23rd GA Infantry
                              Hugh Queen 1st GA Regulars
                              Samuel Queen 52nd GA Infantry
                              Lewis Queen Sgt. 23rd GA Infantry, later transferred to regimental band
                              Americus Queen Corp. 25th NC Infantry
                              Benjamin Nicholson Queen 2nd LT. 62nd NC Inf. Captured at Cumberland Gap
                              E.L. Nicholson, 2nd LT Company C 11th GA Cavalry (30th GA Cavalry Battalion)

These are just a few that I've discovered. On the Queen side, I've found over 70 men that tie into my family that served in North Carolina regiments alone. Having said that there are three that served in the Federal 3rd NC Mounted Infantry, and one who served as a Captain in the 10th TN Infantry (US).

As far a the Revolutionary War vets go, I was able to join the Sons of the American Revolution based on the services of John Nicholson, who served in the North Carolina Militia at Camden, and Guilford Courthouse. William Lewis Queen served in the GA Militia under Colonel Elijah Clarke, and fought at Augusta, GA, and was held prisoner at Ninety-Six.

Roy Queen

Company B 3rd Confederate Engineer Regiment

Comment

My great grandfather on my mother's side, cpl Arnold Rader, was in Company C, 46th Illinois. Veath's Brigade, Hurlbut's Division, Grant's Army of the Tennessee. He fought at and was severly wounded at the Battle of Shiloh, near Wolf's Field on Monday April 7,1862. At the exaxt same time, another one of my great grandfathers, pvt. John Wedeward, (yes the exact same name as mine) Company A, 42nd Illinios, Nelson's Division, Buell's Army of the Ohio was fighting less that 1/4 mile from Wolf's Field. 80+ years later, their desendants, my mother and father would meet and get married. John Wedeward would get severly wounded in the Battle of Chickamagua, while serving in Rosecran's Army of the Cumberland. Obviously, both survived the war, and moved from Illinois to Wisconsin.

Also strangle but true, one of my best friends in reenacting had a great grandfather who was also in Co.C, 46th Illinios. My great grandfather and his enlisted the same day by the same recruiting officer or in Freeport, ILL. They probably went out had had a good lager together, as both were right from Germany and obviously knew each other. Me and Jim Hulbert did not even know each other untill he started reenacting about 20 years ago, even thu we live about 18 miles apart! It was strange as were started comparing notes on or relatives in the war and found this out!

As Arnold was living in Freeport, IL before the war, there is an EXCELLANT chance he was at the 1858 Senetorial Debat between Abraham Lincoln and Stephan Douglass.held in Freeport.

On my mother's mother's side, my 5th great grandfather was Brigidier General John Fellows (the only family line I have that was not German) He commanded the 13th Continental Regiment under George Washington at The Siege of Boston, The Battles for New York (Long Island and White Plains), The Battles of Princeton and Trenton. He then comanded a reginent under Heratio Gates at The Battle of Saratoga..

His brother in law (my 5th great uncle) Col John Ashley Jr. served with John Fellows thru the Revolutionary War. He eventially rose to the rank of Major General of Mass. Malitia after the Rev. War and served under President George Washington (the only time the "Commander and Chief" led The United States Army in person), putting down the Penn Whiskey Rebellion in 1791.

John Wedeward:)
                                Last edited by weed; 12-18-2007, 05:47 PM.
                                John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                                The Hard Head Mess
                                The Old Northwest Volunteers
                                5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
                                Civil War Battlefield Preservation
                                Sons of American Revolution
                                Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
                                Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
                                Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Working...
                                X