Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent- Need to know something about the 33rd Ala. Battle Flag!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent- Need to know something about the 33rd Ala. Battle Flag!

Alabamians, or anyone who has seen the original battle flag of the 33rd. I am looking carefully at photos of it and it looks like it is machine sewn...can anyone at all tell me if this is true? It's Saturday, so the museum is closed. I am making a clone flag as a gift, and need to know. Thank you all.
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Re: Urgent- Need to know something about the 33rd Ala. Battle Flag!

Brandon,
    Which one? Not that I know a great deal about the 33rd Alabama flag, but I do have the reference out of "The Flags of Civil War Alabama" that is as follows:

"The 33rd Alabama Regiment, carrying a Confederate battle flag, was placed in Wood's-Lowrey's Brigade at Corinth, Miss., in May, 1862, and at Tupelo in June drew one of Cleburne's "bonney blue flags" with about an inch and a half of white border about it, a white new moon in the center, with 33rd Alabama Regiment, drew another like it in Wartrace, Tenn, about March 1863, with 'Perryville, Murfreesboro' on it, and another at Dalton about March, 1864 with Chickamauga also."

W.E. Preston, Co B 33rd Alabama.

NOW, the book does not say if the flag (the Dalton issue, and I'm guessing the one grabbed by the 12th Kentucky at Franklin) was hand sewn or machine sewn.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Hey Pat,
      The only surviving 33rd flag is the one in EoG. There is another rumored to be the last issued flag, but it can't be proven. It is a Hardee Pattern flag, and the crease where the stitching would be looks very even and uniform, leading me to believe it is machine sewn. Eben if I knew if the 16th Ala or the 45th Ala flags were done by hand or machine would help as they were all in Wood Lowreys Brigade at the Batle of Franklin where the flag was captured. Thanks.
      V/R

Comment

Yup. Saw that in the previously mentioned book. Flags aren't anything I'm really interested in, but that book is pretty neat. Track down Jeff Black on this forum, he is a member of the 33rd Alabama and can probably help you out.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

Well,
          As I am the most impatient person I know, I took what I saw and went machine. Like I said, it is a gift for my father, and will simply be on display in his office. I'll post a pic of it if people want to see how it turned out. It looks pretty spooky. Thanks all.
          V/R

Comment

post the pic. I'm interested. The details on the original will be forthcoming, but since you already sewed it, kind of a moot point now.
            Jeff Black
            33rd Alabama

Comment

Brandon,
              By the way, which museum are you talking about? The original flag of the 33rd Alabama is at Confederate Memorial Park in Mountain Creek, Alabama. And it is usually open on Saturdays.
              Jeff Black
              33rd Alabama

Comment

Great, I would like to see the info still as I would DEFINATELY make another one. Heck, I could even undue the machine stitching abd do it by hand. No problem. Thanks, Pard!
                V/R

Comment

Okay here it is. There is still some additional folds and wrinkles I will put it in before I stick it pressed in a frame. So, let me know what you fellas think!
                  Attached Files
                  V/R

Comment

Brandon,
                    here's a link to the info. You may have already known this.

I am fortunate to be friends with Bob Bradley, the curator of flags, so if you have any more questions, let me know.

The flag is completely hand-sewn.
                    Jeff Black
                    33rd Alabama

Comment

Brandon,
                      That is simply great!
                      Patrick Landrum
                      Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                      X