This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate NCO Sword

I'm looking to buy an NCO SWord to use with my Confederate Impression. Where can I find the best reproduction and what is exactly correct. I've seen reproductions that are plain and others stamped with CSA. Are both correct? Should an NCO strictly carry the model 1840 NCO sword or are there examples out there of other small swords being carried. I saw an original pre-war militia sword (1840-1870) that looks to be similiar to the 1840 in size and style but it isn't as plain. It's the maltese style made of silvered brass with a knights head on the handle. I've never saw a reproduction of one but it did remind me of an NCO sword and made me curious.
    Captain Andy Witt
    52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
    Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Re: Confederate NCO Sword

I have in my accumulation a C.S. NCO sword of a style rather like a simplified foot officer's sword. It has a knuckle bow w/o branches with crude moulded-in decorations on the brass. These are attributed to Boyle, Gamble, & MacFee, were suspended from a frog and, in spirit, were rather like the current U.S. Marine NCO sword. See: Albaugh, "A Photographic Suppliment of Confederate Swords" pp. 57 and 58.
    David Fox

Comment

Could you dig me up a picture of it by any chance?
      Captain Andy Witt
      52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
      Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

Let me throw this out there. What are you needing an NCO sword for? Such as, reason why you feel you need to carry one? NCO swords in the field were generally a rarity, especially in the CS side and even more so in the Western Theater. Not saying there might not have been one here and there, but the NCO sword is more documented to mainstream reenacting, that actual use in the field. Once again, I'm not saying they were not used, just that I would forgo this item. Use your rifle, cut off your NCO stripes (if you have them), and lead by example.
        [B]Justin Morris[/B]
        [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
        "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

I can say that of all the diaries I've read through, I've come across an example of ONE NCO carrying a sword, and that was a Sgt Major.
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Morris View Post
            Let me throw this out there. What are you needing an NCO sword for? Such as, reason why you feel you need to carry one? NCO swords in the field were generally a rarity, especially in the CS side and even more so in the Western Theater. Not saying there might not have been one here and there, but the NCO sword is more documented to mainstream reenacting, that actual use in the field. Once again, I'm not saying they were not used, just that I would forgo this item. Use your rifle, cut off your NCO stripes (if you have them), and lead by example.
            I would agree, unless you had specific circumstances such as a very early war impression and could document its usage in a specific unit. But anytime of real wartime usage would be slight.
            Brian William Huerta

Fighting Boys Mess

Liberty Rifles

Comment

my 2 cents on the matter.

I carry an NCO Sword, and a pistol as the Sgt. Major of my battalion. I also have the chevrons on my uniforms, both Federal and Confederate. Now the men of the battalion know that I am the Sgt. Major, but the public does not necessarily know this. That's why I do what I do. I know that the majority of Confederate NCO's did not wear chevrons. Granted. I also know that many Sgt. Majors ditched the swords and carried a weapon instead.

I wish I could recall where I saw the account of a Confederate NCO (don't remember the rank) who still had his sword with him during the Atlanta campaign.
              Jeff Black
              33rd Alabama

Comment

Jeff,
                I think you and I are talking about the same reference. If we are then it is "Blood and Sacrifice: The Civil War Journal of a Confederate Soldier" written by William Pitt Chambers (46th Mississippi) and edited by Richard Baumgartner.

It goes "I had lain down without removing even my blanket or sword. At the first volley I sprang to my feet, but little excited at the din. A moment later Colonel Clarke jumped up exclaiming "Chambers! Chambers! Sergeant Major! Sergeant Major!" in such a rapid succession that he failed to hear me till I had answered him the third time."

For anyone interested, this is a good book from a Sgt Major's perspective. Also Sumner Cunningham's book is worth the price as well.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

Jeff, not to jump on you, but to do just that in a way!
                  Why would you do something that you know is not in line with historical accuracy and only do something for the public. Why not, at the appropriate time and if asked by the public, explain to them that NCO's at times carried swords and wore chevrons, but while on active campaign the sword wasn't practical and a musket would have been the order of the day. Chevrons are IMHO your personal choice. I base the wearing of chevrons on the date, unit, side and theater of the particular impression I may be portraying. I haven't worn chevrons for a CS impression in years, however have occasionally worn them for Federal depending on time period of the event.
                  Not trying to piss anyone off or start a fight, but just saying what 100 others are thinking about the whole NCO sword issue, especially for Confederate service.
                  [B]Justin Morris[/B]

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

Amen Justin.
                    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

The only times I have read about them with Infantry, they were quickly thrown to the side of the road and collected by the ordnance officer after the first march, same story with the artillery sword, and large bowie knives.
                      Gregory Deese
                      Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                      "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Patrick,
                        That is exactly the passage I was thinking about. Thanks. I really need to get that book. In fact I think I'll do so right now.

Justin,
                        Not pissed at all. As I am constantly trying to improve and authenticize (that's probably not a real word, but I'm going with it:tounge_sm) my impression. Constructive criticism NEVER hurts. I have felt at times a little silly, from a practical point of view, in carrying a sword instead of a musket.
                        I am brand new at Sgt. Major, and have had a VERY difficult time finding much documentation about duties, Uniforms, etc.

NOW for what DOES Piss me off. Snide comments from folks who don't even know me, acting like I don't have a F%**ing clue as to what I am doing.
                        I have posted sometimes for info on references and such for Improving, and end up with nothing but smart ass comments from the "knowitalls" mostly folks who have never even met me. That just flat sucks, and I don't understand it. When people ask questions on this board, and are asking so they can improve and be more accurate, there is no need for the bashing or flaming to begin.
                        Jeff Black
                        33rd Alabama

Comment

Well, I know you or have seen you around enough to know you have a fine impression and are the Sgt. Major of one of the best drilled battalions currently out there. Glad you understood where I was coming from, because I was not trying to be an arse! Take care brother and hope to see you in the field next year.
                          [B]Justin Morris[/B]

Comment

Jeff, If you are referring to me then you are mistaken in my intention . My comment was in agreement (in general) with what Justin had to say, and not a reflection on you or your impression.
                            Last edited by Secesh; 10-14-2009, 04:05 PM.
                            Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                            Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                            Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                            Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                            KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Jeff,
                              Pick up Cunningham's book too if you can. I want to say he was the Sgt Major of his regiment as well. So there would be two good reads. Although I will say this- neither one really gets too involved with their duty.

I am going to defend chevrons however in terms of the hobby. For instance, I was at Lost Tribes and was 2nd Sgt. I had chevrons and they were needed because I hardly knew anyone in the rank and file. Chevrons are absent on originals for the same reason you probably didn't hear too many soldiers asking each other waht they did before the war in 1863 since they had been together for years, growing up in the same communities etc. But when you deal with the ranks and new recruits like now, it's important to have them just so people know a person with rank for the weekend is telling them to do something rather than just some loud mouth ass (which is often the case anyway! Loud mouth freakin Non Coms)

Jeff- also- let me know yalls schedule for the year.
                              Patrick Landrum
                              Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X