Soldier burial in Franklin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier burial in Franklin

I just receieved the front page of the Franklin Review Appeal from a friend who lives there. The reburial of the soldier that was found is covered. The article was written before the ceremony took place. I was wondering if anybody who frequents the forum was invoved in the ceremony or if they had a chance to at least view it. My friend wrote of neighbors remarking that "...downtown Franklin traffic was a mess because of the ceremony." Was it because of the ceremony itself that traffic was affected or was it due to significant turnout and interest? I would like to here from anyone who attended.
    David Parent

The Cracker Mess
    MLK Mess
    Black Hat Boys
    WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Re: Soldier burial in Franklin

David-
    Several people on the forum were in attendance. Trish H. and I were only at the burial, and in street clothes, as we literally sped from the Race for the Cure that morning in Brentwood in order to make the burial. We found the crowd to be orderly and the service poignant and respectful. Others may have more elaborate experiences to share but we are glad to say we were there.
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Todd Watts and I were in the honor guard, plus a couple other odd jobs (guard duty, usher). Others there from the AC Forum...Russel Dykes, Brian Hicks, Jon Harris and Landrum. It was very well attended by the public, the two elderly gentlemen whose fathers fought at Franklin were a highlight for me. I wrote a guest editorial on it for The Watchdog column in Civil War News with more of the details.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Estimates are about three thousand people lining the street from the Church to the cemetery. The public square in front of the courthouse, as well as the road from the church, through the square and down to the cemetery were all closed to traffic for about six hours that day. This is why traffic was so disrupted.
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I'd say there were around 30-40 represented from our forum's roster.. just saying. It was QUITE a day to be remembered.
          Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
          Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
          ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
          ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
          ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
          ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
          ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Echoing Jon's comments, that seems about right regarding participation of folks who may frequent this forum. There was a great amount of enthusiasm and attendance from the town for the entire service, as well as attendance. I had spoken with some of the coordinators after standing guard over the remains in the church, and they said that they had over 1000 folks sign the guest book during the time he lay in state in the church prior to the service on Saturday.

The city of Franklin should be commended for the buy-in to the service, especially the coordination/permission to allow the funeral procession from the church to the cemetery. The route was lined with attendees from both the town and all reaches of the country. After the ceremony I spoke with many people who had driven in from surrouding cities and states just that morning, bringing their children so they could experience this unique and moving event. I think that was especially nice, seeing parents instilling the sense of respect and appreciation for something that we here all feel so vehemently.

One other great thing was that there were two actual sons of ACW veterans there -- not grandsons, or any other 'g' prefix, but sons! Think of that, in 2009! And those two were pretty damn spunky for being 90 years old! The gent who was the son of the CS soldier, James Brown, was even sporting a Shell Jacket with wooden buttons [although I didn't get a chance to ask him who made it ]

All in all, it was an honor to be able to participate in an event like this that was real, that paid the proper respect to one of the thousands who live and died during this conflict.

Travis
            Travis C. Hébert
            -------------------------
            Armory Guards / W.I.G.
            ACWRT,GBA,CWT
            "Flag taking was pretty well knocked out of me" Lt Wm. Pennington, 6th Wisconsin, Co. I

Comment

Travis
              I know we corresponded apriori, did you make it up for the event?
              Craig L Barry
              Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
              Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
              Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
              Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Yes, sorry I didn't get a chance to formally introduce myself when there, I was up with the 37th TN and had volunteered for the dust ceremony. It was certainly an experience that I'll always cherish. It was also my first opportunity to see not only the Franklin battelfield but also that of Stone's River the day before, two "must-see's" on my list I was very happy to get to experience.

Travis
                Travis C. Hébert
                Armory Guards / W.I.G.
                ACWRT,GBA,CWT
                "Flag taking was pretty well knocked out of me" Lt Wm. Pennington, 6th Wisconsin, Co. I

Comment

David,
                  Yup I was there. Met up with Jon Harris and Russ Dykes at the Carter House, headed to downtown for breakfast. It was pretty neat to walk down Main Street in Franklin, stop at the pub, stack arms outside of it and eat! And that wasn't even the great part of the day!

Sure, there were some REALLY bad impressions etc, but the ceremony wasn't about that. Now granted I did get some chuckles at some of the variety walking about, but I really thought the ceremony was well done and something I will always fondly remember. It also further drove me in debt with Craig. I, oddly enough, rarely talk to people unless I know them, but I must say, the guys in the 37th Tennessee have great kits, great attitudes and were very kind.
                  Patrick Landrum
                  Independent Rifles

Comment

Thanks Patrick,
                    We put pride in our impressions.
                    Brian Maddox
                    37th Tn Co H

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                      David,
                      Yup I was there. Met up with Jon Harris and Russ Dykes at the Carter House, headed to downtown for breakfast. It was pretty neat to walk down Main Street in Franklin, stop at the pub, stack arms outside of it and eat! And that wasn't even the great part of the day!

Sure, there were some REALLY bad impressions etc, but the ceremony wasn't about that. Now granted I did get some chuckles at some of the variety walking about, but I really thought the ceremony was well done and something I will always fondly remember. It also further drove me in debt with Craig. I, oddly enough, rarely talk to people unless I know them, but I must say, the guys in the 37th Tennessee have great kits, great attitudes and were very kind.
                      Stack arms outside a pub in downtown Franklin, DAMN!! Anybody want to buy a house in Michigan! If I could rid myself I would relocate to Tenn. so fast it would'nt be funny. I would have loved to have taken part in this ceremony too. It sounds like the type of experience that gives one goosebumps. It would have been an honor and a privledge to have finally laid to rest, in a dignified manner, one of the boys of 61.

Patrick, you talked to me at Duck River and I enjoyed the chat as well as meeting tou personally years after you first encouraged me to make my first plunge at LBL. Thanks for the feedback on this event.

In fact, thanks to everyone who has responded. Keep "those cards and letters" coming! I am very interested in hearing from others perspectives from this once in a lifetime experience.
                      Last edited by Mcguire; 10-19-2009, 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
                      David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                      MLK Mess
                      Black Hat Boys
                      WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

It was indeed a honor to not only be in the procession, but be among the firing-salute detail at the cemetery. Franklin as a town has finally awakened to the importance of its own Civil War heritage and is trying to save and restrore what it has left. Finding that man and doing such a good job re-burying him will help the town see the value even more.

Comment

Below is a link to a site with about 104 pictures of the funeral procession in Franklin.

Be forewarned.... some of the images will not be pleasant, some will make you sick... and others will just make you roll your eyes.

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/p...ralpr&album=26
                          Brian Hicks
                          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Somber occasion with honor shown.....but amongst other things I could not help but notice the backwards Hardee hat on the "General" outside of the church.

:wink_smil
                            Regards,

Phil Spaugy
                            Union Guards
                            Co. A
                            19th Regiment
                            Indiana Volunteer Infantry
                            N-SSA

Comment

Quite a few of the people in the ceremony are not living historians / re-enactors at all. For a few weeks prior, The Blockade Runner was getting big Franklin muckity-mucks coming in buying dresses and uniforms from them to use probably just this once. The CS officer leading the procession for instance I am quite sure has never heard of Hardee's Tactics as he was giving those of us in the firing salute detail some of the strangest commands I ever heard. "Present-arms-load" comes immediately to mind. There was one CS general I saw that had a really sharp gray leisure-suit with creases you could cut yourself on with black wing-tips walking down the road in front of Craig and me after it was all over. And I am not sure how many "greiving widows" that soldier really deserved, but judging by the throngs all wearing nearly identical Blockade Runner dresses following the casket he must have had a rather homely harem in life.:D

Comment

Working...
                              X