Soldier burial in Franklin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soldier burial in Franklin

You got a picture of me taking a picture of the coffin! I'm in one of the last pictures- the girl in the pink jacket. Wish I could have been in proper dress but time just didn't permit that morning..
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

[QUOTE=BrianHicks;161458]Below is a link to a site with about 104 pictures of the funeral procession in Franklin.

Be forewarned.... some of the images will not be pleasant, some will make you sick... and others will just make you roll your eyes.

Wow! where did they get these guys? Some standouts:
      The pall bearer with the HUGE corporal stripes
      The Confed. Lt. color bearer with the very large d-guard who looked like Yosemite Sam's Grandpappy
      The fellow walking beside the buggy bearing the ancestors with the Mad Hatter hat!

Yeesh!
      David Parent

The Cracker Mess
      MLK Mess
      Black Hat Boys
      WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Hey, now I had to admire that the "Mad-Hatter" hat. It was pretty dern awesome!:p I figured if the rains started up again we could all get under that thing and stay dry. I don't know anything about the CS pall bearers, but on the US side all came from Craig's and my unit, the 9th KY Inf (US). The older man is our surgeon and has 2 sons deployed in Iraq/A'stan right now so it meant a lot to him to have that honor. The middle guy was a last-minute addition and I can't recall his name, but he plans to join the service (Navy I think) next year after HS graduation so I am sure it meant something to him as well. The lead man is Kyle and he is a Franklin resident, is very active in the Franklin CW preservation and is one of their firemen so he was an instant volunteer as soon as he heard they were planning this shin-dig. It meant a ton to him to be in. Craig and I are 2 of the 4 US doing the salute firing. The other 2 are also 9th KY Inf.

Comment

Yes... many impressions where not quit right... but there where a number of fellows who did get it right. It's so much easier for us to pick out the bad impressions because we usually look past what we always see as looking like what we are used to. (that does make sense.. yes????)

One of the benefits of these photos is that they help show the numbers of spectators that lined the streets along the procession route.
          Brian Hicks
          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I got about half the way through before I could take no more. It reminds me too much of the anual farbfest event at Jackson Michigan every year. :sick:
            Frank Perkin

Comment

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
              Yes... many impressions where not quit right... but there where a number of fellows who did get it right. It's so much easier for us to pick out the bad impressions because we usually look past what we always see as looking like what we are used to. (that does make sense.. yes????)

One of the benefits of these photos is that they help show the numbers of spectators that lined the streets along the procession route.
              I appreciated the pictures for the visuals they provided on the attendance at this ceremony. It's good to know that people in great numbers took time out to honor this soldier for his supreme sacrifice. It also gives hope for the support needed to continue the push for preservation in Franklin. Thanks for posting them Brian.
              David Parent

The Cracker Mess
              MLK Mess
              Black Hat Boys
              WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Fine funeral procession and very respectful. Regarding the AC reviews, there is nothing more grotesque than a man built like Oliver Hardy wearing a shell jacket. Nothing.
                Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
                Terry Pratchett

Comment

I also thank you for posting the link, Brian. It is a good day when there are enough present to allow a comparison of impressions. The whole community gets a tip of my hat for caring, so let's be gentle with the "authenticity-challenged". At least they cared enough to try.
                  [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
                  John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by GermanDraftee View Post
                    I also thank you for posting the link, Brian. It is a good day when there are enough present to allow a comparison of impressions. The whole community gets a tip of my hat for caring, so let's be gentle with the "authenticity-challenged". At least they cared enough to try.
                    You are right... while not everyone endeavors to have uniform items which are essentially museum quality reproductions based on historical research or period images, or to have weapons with all modern markings removed, etc. at least those in attendance did participate with an apparent desire to show respect, and gratitude for the sacrifices of all those soldiers whom fought during this war. This was one time were attitude trumped historical accuracy in impressions.
                    Brian Hicks
                    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Here is a link to another collection of photos from the October 10 ceremony.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

What soil or powder are the reenactors pouring into the grave?
                        thanks

Will Coffey

Why did not the Southern States wait and see whether A. Lincoln would interfere with slavery before they seceded." A federal Soldier's words left in a court clerk's office in Bennetsville, SC

Comment

The soil that was poured into the grave was soil from all of the states that were present at the battle of Franklin. A different person stepped forward to represent that state and pour the dirt in. I thought it was a great idea seeing as how they don't know what army he fought with.
                          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Tony DiMaiolo
                          37th Tennessee
                          Hard Case Boys[/FONT]

Descendant of Pvt. Samual Goodfellow 9th New Jersey Volunteers "The Muskrats"

Comment

Working...
                          X