Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Road to Bummers

All-

I'm driving down to Bummers and as such thought I would take the time to stop and visit a few places on my way down since I've never had the time to do much tourism traveling to an event before. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for where to visit? I'm traveling via Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta, so I was thinking about hitting Lookout Mountain or Kennesaw, maybe the Atlanta History Center, but I was hoping that some on here might be able to suggest something that you might miss from the road. Are there any good relics shops on the route? I know the internet is full of sites for these places, but some pages make a mole hill into a mountain, and others make the mountain seem like a mole hill.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mods, if this is in the wrong spot, please let me know.
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Re: On the Road to Bummers

Stones River would be a good stop.

Mike Nickerson

Comment

Chicamauga Battle field is real good. There weapons collection is one of the best if not the best in the world. Have a safe trip see you there.
      Jim "Doc" Bruce
      War means fightn and fightn means killn.
      L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
      Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

Wildman's Civil War Surplus in Kennesaw. It is just across the road from the museum that houses the locomotive The General. Don't be put off by the name. It is a unique place.
        I'll echo Doc's assessment of Chickamauga. The museum is among the best.
        The Atlanta History Center is excellent and the exhibit there is the preservation focus for this event.
        Depends on how much time you have I suppose.
        Tom Dodson
        47th Ga
        Co. A, 11th Georgia Militia
        Tom Dodson

Comment

Local Bump for Fort Negley, Fort Johnson (TN State Capitol Hill), Traveller's Rest/ Peach Orchard Hill, and the other hills and defenses that make up the Battle of Nashville tour.. heading south on I-24 do check out Stones River NMP and the Mid Tennessee Relics Shop across from the park and nearby Stones River Trading Co. And if you're really jonesing for another stop down I-24 you may want to view the Tullahoma Campaign stops of Liberty and Hoover's Gap and visit Blockade Runner Inc. who has a nice relics spread.. and then there's the plethora of antique shops along that route.. but yes it depends on how long you have.
          Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
          Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
          ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
          ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
          ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
          ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
          ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Ah, I've heard tales of Wildman's. Not necessarily complimentary tales, mind you, but tales none the less. I think the person I know who was in there may have been, shall we say, a little nervous.

I've been to Stones River and Chickamauga (two of the three battlefields I've actually been to), but maybe it's time to go back. If I remember correctly, their bookshops were topnotch.
            Bob Welch

My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Bob,
              Depending on your time schedule, you can take I-65 south and tour Franklin and Spring Hill. I'll even meet up for a beer and we can discuss some plans for busting Hogsh*t out of whatever ramshackle prison they attempt to toss him in!

That would put you on TN-840 (runs north of Spring Hill) back over to I-24.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Bob,

After you pass Murfreesboro (3 or 4 exits for that town now), one or two exits down you will see signs for Wartrace, Bell Buckle and maybe Shelbyville. When you hit the bottom of the ramp, turn left and go under the bridge. At the next intersection, turn left and about 50 yards on your left you'll see a driveway. I don't know if there is a sign, but this is the entrance to the Confederate cemetary where the dead of Hoover's Gap are buried. There used to be an interpretive sign there. There are clean restrooms with brochures displayed inside, they only ask that you keep the doors closed when you leave. When you stand in the pavillion and look south-southeast from that spot you are looking into Hoover's Gap. The brochures will give you the rest. You are a stones throw from the interstate and standing on some very hallowed ground. It is an oddly peaceful spot.

And, definitely the Atlanta History Center. If you've never been, you will kick yourself if you miss it. I may try to catch it on the way down or the way back for the 3rd or 4th time.

FYI - you don't want to be southbound on I-24 coming into Nashville from the north during the morning rush hour. It is some of the worst traffic we have to offer. Likewise, you will find the drive southeast out of Nashville in the afternoon equally miserable, but it moves better. Drive through Nashville during the middle of the night or the middle of the day. Watch out for unmarked police cars. They use every make and model you can imagine, including pick up trucks.
                Joe Smotherman

Comment

Wildman's is a piece of work. He wears 2 ivory handled Colt 45's. It's a law in Kennesaw. Really. Lots of interesting pieces, and Klan parphanalia. I often joke that I don't go there too often in order to keep from getting too high up on the list of whatever federal law enforcement agency is watching the place.
                  There are countless points of interest that others have mentioned. I will leave that portion of your tour to others. I will simply say to observe your route. get off the interstates, travel county and state highways. Especially the area down near the site. I live about 30 miles north of there. If you will make the travel part of your siteseeing, you will find countless period homes and some oldtime town squares with builings still standing from the 1850's on.
                  The whole area is a historical site.
                  Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                  Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Bob,
                    As a Georgian I would definitely suggest a stop at the Atlanta History Center if time allows also Wildman is harmless...sort of.. but an interesting stop. The newish Museum at Kennesaw Battlefield State Park is worth a side trip also.

Landrum,
                    You are under arrest.
                    Dont think I didnt see your " Ha Ha " comment at the prospect of me being a sheriff in the LT thread.

bottom rail on top now son!!
                    Patrick McAllister
                    Saddlebum

"Bíonn grásta Dé idir an diallait agus an talamh

Comment

These are all great ideas. Makes me wish I could take a week to get down there rather than an extra day. Thanks for all your help. And Pat, I may have to take you up on that beer at a later point, but I know where I can get my hands on a team of oxen, so maybe we can start planning now.
                      Bob Welch

Comment

If you only have an extra day I would go with the Atlanta History Center. Forget Wildman's. Interesting but nothing to compare with your other options.
                        Tom Dodson
                        Co. A, 11th Georgia Militia / Bummers
                        Tom Dodson

Comment

This ATL History Center and Chickamauga are a must see.
                          Mark Taylor

Comment

Working...
                          X