1st Alabama canteen on Antiques Roadshow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Alabama canteen on Antiques Roadshow

Did anyone catch Antiques Roadshow last night? A fellow in San Antonio had a wooden canteen with cloth strap and bone button. It had belonged to a rebel who was mustered in at Pensacola, Fla in 1861. He had been offered $300 for it a few years ago, it was estimated at being worth $5,000.
    Just a good example, I guess, of how there is still stuff out here that those outside of the hobby/collectors.

- Jay Reid
    Dreamer42
    9th Texas
    Jay Reid

Re: 1st Alabama canteen on Antiques Roadshow

I did catch that, great find. I loved the history of the unit, being captured twice and being paroled, only 100 of the original 1000 surviving the war. I think that’s what made the canteen so interesting, was the history of the unit.
    Brian William Huerta

Fighting Boys Mess

Liberty Rifles

Comment

I saw that, thought I'd like to get my hands on it to see if it was original...
      Not that I'm a canteen expert but...
      Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
      Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Originally posted by Citman05 View Post
        I did catch that, great find. I loved the history of the unit, being captured twice and being paroled, only 100 of the original 1000 surviving the war. I think that’s what made the canteen so interesting, was the history of the unit.
        I'm really proud one of those hundred survivors made it, my great great grandfather. :) He was in G Company, the Perote Guards.
        Jim Kindred

Comment

If you'd like to watch... http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200703A50.html. You can actually go to the Antiques Roadshow website, visit the archives and search terms like Civil War, Adam's Cat, whathaveyou.

Best,
          ---------------
          Benjamin L. Clark
          [URL="http://www.themondak.org"]MonDak Heritage Center[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.montanamuseums.org/"]Museums Assoc. of Montana[/URL]

Comment

This show ran in 2007 when money was, shall we say different, from what it is now. Still a nice identified item. One in similar shape but with initials and no unit designation just sold on ebay for a little over $1,000.00.
            Do cedar canteens show up in the field today as frequently as they should?
            S.Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by rogue View Post
              Do cedar canteens show up in the field today as frequently as they should?
              Steve, good point. Probably not, judging by the relatively good number that seem to have survived. Perhaps another question might be who makes a truly outstanding reproduction these days, outside of a couple of private parties.

Plus there was always that issue of broken ribs when landing on them after "taking hits", within the mainstream community anyway....
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

One thing to keep in mind with relics. The price usually goes way up when the item can be identified to a specific individual or unit. Especially if that individual or unit was famous.

Another thing to keep in mind. A relic is only worth what one person is willing to take and another person is willing to spend.
                Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  One thing to keep in mind with relics. The price usually goes way up when the item can be identified to a specific individual or unit. Especially if that individual or unit was famous.

Another thing to keep in mind. A relic is only worth what one person is willing to take and another person is willing to spend.
                  How correct you are.....the fair market value of anything is the agreed upon price between a willing buyer and willing seller, all parties having knowledge of the relavent facts.
                  Marc Riddell
                  1st Minnesota Co D
                  2nd USSS Company C
                  Potomac Legion

Comment

Working...
                  X